Music And Visualizers

axiomprime

Still Fresh
Music is my main interest in life. I would like a sequencer for the Wiz. The Korg DS-10 for the Nindo DS was fun and the Wiz has considerably more grunt so I'm guessing it could run a better sequencer. Can I just run linux music programs using the touch-screen as a mouse? I'm guessing they'd have to be programs designed for PCs in the 1990s but that would do me fine.

I also like looking at pretty wavy lines and swirls while listening to music. Has anyone got any visualizers for the Wiz? Cthugha ran on machines in the mid-90s that don't look as powerful as the Wiz. Anyone tried it?

I'd be grateful for any links or personal accounts.

Your 1200px × 900px (scaled to 80px × 60px) avatar is 243.79 KB (249,641 bytes) in size. If the image is resampled down to the actually used size it's only 2.05 KB (2,107 Bytes) or 0.84% of the current file size. It also looks better, since the resampling in browsers is typically piss poor.

So, is there a reason for that... other than... y'know... wasting bandwidth?

I light my Cuban cigars by burning mink coats. I take my private jet when I go to buy toilet paper made out of money. I have my socks washed in champagne after I've worn them but employ someone to throw them away before I get around to wearing them a second time. I have the same high-flying, cavalier, attitude to my bandwidth and the bandwidth of anyone who converses with me on the international-web.

I'm dictating this to a team of typists that each take responsibility for the pressing of one key. A flock of, silken-gloved, hands hover above my diamond keyboard, waiting, for their turn to pounce.

I shall have one of my people instruct one of my other people to rectify the avatar issue on the morrow if it is too rich for your blood.

Good day.

Well then, I guess you don't need a music-app after all!

j/k

Ermm.. there is definitely a possibility to do some music-making apps on the Wiz .. probably enough beef for a few synths and effects and things .. but the point is: nobody seems to be terribly interested in doing this for the Wiz. I'd have a bash at it but I'm having far too much fun getting stuff running on my Touchbook in preparation for Pandora, and I will really be pushing hard to make the Pandora a nice music platform, that is for sure ..

axiomprime said:
Derisive stuff

I've been browsing this forum passively for years and years but didn't actually realise I had an account until today when I tried to sign up purely to congratulate you on winning the entire Internet - all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo TC, your response was brilliant. This needs to be added to the LOL! Files

On topic though, I too would love to see a more advanced synthesizer on the Wiz but until then you can dawdle with Xylophone.
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,233

i recently stumbled upon this ... http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html ... since it's SDL it could be easy to port to wiz.

That looks like fun. I wonder how hard it'd be to replace the sounds with my own. Xylophone samples probably just run to the end rather than having a note-off signal so that'd be pretty limiting. The lack of any black notes (racist) or the ability to put spaces between notes means that I couldn't use this as a musical notepad in this form.

I guess I'll just have to use the SNES emulator and Mario Paint when my Wiz arrives.

axiomprime said:
I guess I'll just have to use the SNES emulator and Mario Paint when my Wiz arrives.
Hate to burst your bubble but I don't think Mouse support was ever added in the current SNES emulator. I could be wrong though I never tested it. Can anyone else confirm?

I seem to remember using the Mario Paint sequencer on a WildCard with a pad back in the day. Those days are just a blur of copyright infringement now so I could be wrong. That might've restricted you to creating tunes in C major too.

MiOdd said:
Hate to burst your bubble but I don't think Mouse support was ever added in the current SNES emulator. I could be wrong though I never tested it. Can anyone else confirm?

He could still use the SNES Emulator with Mario Paint, though he'd have to find one of the modified versions of the game where they hacked in the use of the d-pad instead of the mouse...

axiomprime said:
[...bla...]

Well, I got enough bandwidth, but there are still some people on 56k or sky-dsl (with bandwidth caps). It's nice to see that you tried being less of a dick by making your avatar smaller. Your reply sorta ruined it though.

It was an honest mistake. I thought the box the tick box for "auto re-size" was going to sort it out for me. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and don't take my comedy post as anything but a joke.

I've got a 40mb starmap that would make a nice avatar now that I think about it...

axiomprime said:
It was an honest mistake.[...]

Why are you writing a reply like that then? *shrug*

axiomprime said:
[...]
I've got a 40mb starmap that would make a nice avatar now that I think about it...

You're doing it again. Are you always like that? Gee... how tiresome.

Whatever man. I'd be happier having a chat about the possibilities of open-source music software than being stuck in a lift with Eeyore and Sadsack but what the hell, it's your thread.

Hang on..

Well to bring this back to topic last night I ported sfxr to the Touchbook (very similar to PandoraOS), and so now I know it will run on Pandora from day one, and its a fairly decent little synthesizer .. and I do mean little.

http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

That's outstanding. I'm now a big fan of yours. Hope the credit crunch eases off enough for me to get a Pandora.

Ah! It saves the random noises you make. Great. No more losing sounds by accidentally clicking past them. I'm an even bigger fan.

I bet you'd get interest from people on the Sound on Sound forum if you re-named the buttons as "Snare" "Kick" "Hats" and "Toms" for drums and "Bass" "Lead" and "Stab" for voices. There are some people that get very excited about retro sounds.

sfxr is an easy port .. someone should do it for wiz, i've already done it for pandora/TBOS, works very nicely ..

I've just started teaching myself C++ so I should be able to port my own stuff eventually.

Back