Release Mumble client

eyecreate

Website
git.eyecreate.org
After little sleep last night, I finally have a working version of Mumble for the pandora!

It took a bunch of coaxing and I had to disable some features, but the necessary parts are there still.

What you don't have:

* overlay

* 1.1 support

* server

* pulseaudio (cause we use alsa)

* g15 support (doubt that is an issue on the pandora)

* bonjour discovery

The alsa port with the onboard mic is hw 0:1.

Tested with my local game group's mumble server, and seems to not give noisy sound like my laptop.

Positional audio also didn't work for me.

Let me know how things go! Find it on the repo!

Wow, I was meaning to port this a while ago, just was a pain to compile and didn't have the time to look into several months ago.. Looking forward to trying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it works great with my mumble server people sound great.. anyone know how to use the microphone built on the Pandora?

So it works great with my mumble server people sound great.. anyone know how to use the microphone built on the Pandora?
As I mentioned in my first post, I used hw 0:1 for input source, but I guess I forgot to mention you need to set the mic to use in the volume control also.(I got some of this info from a post on the forums here)

It basically is just showing the options tab and selecting main mic for left source. Just check the capture volume/mic boost is fine also. When setting up the audio wizard, the mic sounded quite laggy sometimes, but once I used it on the server, there was no issue and other computers heard me just fine.

A new Task for next SuperZaxxon?

I only configured Mumble on 2.6 Kernel ...

http://pandorawiki.org/Audio_system#Recording

Left Input Source: main Mic

Right Input Source: None

Raised Input Boost

Openend and raised Capture

Lost Settings when open xfce4-mixer on 3.2 Kernel

Settings in Mumble:

Input

hw:card=omap...,DEV=1...

Output

default alsa card

How is configuration on kernel 3.2?

Funny, Yesterday I installed Mumble on my PC since my buddy now uses it instead of Teamspeak. :D

Compared to Teamspeak, Mumble setup is some kind of complicated but I just clicked through this huge Audio setup mess and it seems to work. Of course I will test it on the Pandora too.

But why is the Pandora Mumble almost 100MB big? :-||"

Funny, Yesterday I installed Mumble on my PC since my buddy now uses it instead of Teamspeak. :D

Compared to Teamspeak, Mumble setup is some kind of complicated but I just clicked through this huge Audio setup mess and it seems to work. Of course I will test it on the Pandora too.

I've always thought Mumble was way easier than Teamspeak.. Use the Audio Wizard and that takes care of most of the odd setup problems. Mumble In my opinion is way better than TS and Ventrillo.. TS biggest issue in my mind is how user management is done and sound quality, although TS can be setup to use better codecs, it's not installed by default. My biggest issue with Ventrillo is there stupid licensing methods.. if you want to legally run a server with more than 8 players you need to play a couple thousand dollar license fee.

Pnds get big when you start using your own versions of libraries instead of system ones. Many of the libs on the pandora had issues when compiling this newest mumble which required me to bundle my own version of the libs. My qt libs alone are 200mb uncompressed.(the qt on the system doesn't have qtopengl, which, even when disabling the overlay, causes the build to fail.) There could be optimizations made, as, for one, the avahi libs may not be needed anymore since I disabled bonjour, but bundling your own libs can make things grow quickly in size. MuseScore is even bigger than Mumble as I also included GM soundfonts.(which, btw, is also why TTS won't work on this mumble...to save space I left out any TTS voices.)

EDIT: oops, seems I left more in the mumble pnd than I thought. I left the the qtscript plugins there, which is another 200mb in itself. Luckily, it would seem safe to remove since mumble shouldn't be using qtscript and shaves a nice bit off the size. Guess it's always good to check things out. Slimmer pnd will be up on the repo.

Thanks, 34MB are looking much nicer than 100MB. :)

I've always thought Mumble was way easier than Teamspeak.. Use the Audio Wizard and that takes care of most of the odd setup problems. Mumble In my opinion is way better than TS and Ventrillo.. TS biggest issue in my mind is how user management is done and sound quality, although TS can be setup to use better codecs, it's not installed by default. My biggest issue with Ventrillo is there stupid licensing methods.. if you want to legally run a server with more than 8 players you need to play a couple thousand dollar license fee.
The wizard looks useful but I was not sure how to set it up for optimum results. It was all explained but it was late at night, maybe I should go through all the stuff when I'm full awake. :D

Are there tips how the Audio detecting values, presets and Mic limits should be set on the Pandora?

EDIT: OK, I'm to dumb to setup Mumble, please could you post what exactly I have to set to make it work? "The alsa port with the onboard mic is hw 0:1" what does it mean? I don't have this option in the "input device" settings. All Audio and mic settings are enabled in the Pandora audio settings like b3w posted (record on, mic boost etc...) but my Pandora mic isn't responding in any way.

EDIT2: it's getting weirder and weirder. Testing audio record through console (like described in the wiki) it gives just errors, "device is busy" or something like that. In the Audio Wizard of Mumble none of the bars react when I speak in the mic...BUT hey react heavily when I just move the window with the mouse. :-||"""

Thanks, 34MB are looking much nicer than 100MB. :)

The wizard looks useful but I was not sure how to set it up for optimum results. It was all explained but it was late at night, maybe I should go through all the stuff when I'm full awake. :D

Are there tips how the Audio detecting values, presets and Mic limits should be set on the Pandora?

EDIT: OK, I'm to dumb to setup Mumble, please could you post what exactly I have to set to make it work? "The alsa port with the onboard mic is hw 0:1" what does it mean? I don't have this option in the "input device" settings. All Audio and mic settings are enabled in the Pandora audio settings like b3w posted (record on, mic boost etc...) but my Pandora mic isn't responding in any way.

EDIT2: it's getting weirder and weirder. Testing audio record through console (like described in the wiki) it gives just errors, "device is busy" or something like that. In the Audio Wizard of Mumble none of the bars react when I speak in the mic...BUT hey react heavily when I just move the window with the mouse. :-||"""
Don't know why it would be busy unless something else was using the audio device. I took some quick screencaps of my settings in case that help.

http://imgur.com/a/w0N9X

Many people miss it, but there is an checkbox with the label advanced in the mumble setting that will show the Input and output settings that will allow you to set the input device.. then you can run the wizard without issues.

It's generally unnecessary on a regular Windows/Linux/Mac machine.. just the audio setting on the Pandora is a little wonky and requires you to deviate from the default device...

I guess I have the same Pandora hardware as anyone else, so it just must be working *stares angry on the Pandora untill it does what I want*... :D

the "busy" terminal problem may be because of running it while mumble was running. Mumble closed and mic test on the terminal gave other tings out, not sure what it was but something like "stdin signed 16 bit little endian...." whatever

All settings are exactly like in the pictures eyecreate posted (except I just used the "hw:card=omap...,DEV=1"... instead of the "plughw..." device but the result is the same for me anyways ), recording is activated in the alsa settings, mic boost is on, input sources are set but mic don't do anything when I make noise. You should see the voice activated mic input in the "advanced" settings of mumble, but the bar is pale and does not move. Mumble works fine on my PC but on the Pandora there is no mic activity...except when I move the mouse or close windows, then the microphone voice level bar moves. :D I even can move the Pandora lid and it reacts slightly or when I push the "apply" button in the advanced settings, it reacts... but even if I cry out as lod as I can in the microphone, nothing happens.... let's pray my Microphone hardware is OK.

"arecord -f cd -D hw:0,1 | aplay" records the input and plays it at the same time.

The recording command "arecord -f cd -D hw:0,1" is piped with "|" into the player "aplay".

Back