Multiple Processes @ Startup

bernwa

Still Fresh
hello there ppl.

this may seem like a n00bie thing to ask you guys, but i have scoured this forum and multiple readme's to find an answer, but i'm afraid i have come up with nothing.....

i want to launch gmenu2x and energysaver at the same time on startup. ive tried editing the autorun.gpu, but it doesn't work (or i am doing it wrong!). could someone please give me the correct script and/or method of doing this? i'm getting rather frustrated as i can't work out how to launch background applications automatically. i have to manually execute them when i want to use them, which is ridiculous.

please help :(

bernmonkee :p

To run applications in the background, you need to put an '&' at the end of the line. You don't need to add one for the last one in your list, because it can run in the foreground...

I'm no expert myself but I remember seeing this being posted here

A_SN said:
CODE
#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ../App/colourd_070717/colourd.gpe&
exec ./gmenu2x

Just replace "/App/colourd_070717/colourd.gpe" with the path to the energysaver's .gpe

Notepad++ is a very easy to use program for making/editing scripts like this.
Remember to save it in Unix format (Format>Convert to UNIX format) and of course as autorun.gpu :p

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, but it still doesn't want to work, i just end up with a black screen :(

my autorun.gpu is as follows;

#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ../Apps/EnergySaver/EnergySaver/EnergySaver.gpu&
exec ./gmenu2x

please forgive my ignorance, but even with my limited programming knowledge that script is doomed to fail isn't it? :(

Is EnergySaver/EnergySaver/EnergySaver.gpu& the correct path?

Also, make sure your file has Unix line breaks, that's easy to setup in Notepad++ or Programmer's Notepad.

i tried it with gp2xsleep the path was correct - i used os x textedit to edit the file

i just tried energysaver but i get an error in spanish something about configuration

Alex. said:
Is EnergySaver/EnergySaver/EnergySaver.gpu& the correct path?

Also, make sure your file has Unix line breaks, that's easy to setup in Notepad++ or Programmer's Notepad.
its the correct path yes, but im intrigued because it doesn't seem to have a .gpe file, just a .gpu file.

i'm also a newb when it comes to unix, but surely ms notepad is suitable, its still using ascii standard, isnt it?

bernwa said:
i'm also a newb when it comes to unix, but surely ms notepad is suitable, its still using ascii standard, isnt it?
Actually, it isn't. It's a gamble, on older firmwares I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. Why not just play it safe and get Notepad++, it's such a nice text editor, it will become your choice over Notepad for sure :) Once in there, go to Format > Convert to UNIX format.

It's essential to convert to Unix format. A few days ago I made a script in default format (ms-dos) and it refused to run properly on my gp2x.

bernwa said:
The problem isn't the character definitions, it's that unix formatting only uses one character to break lines (LF), and dos & windows use two (CRLF).

right then....

ive managed to get energysaver to run at startup, but as mentioned above, i get an error message in spanish, and gmenu goes nuts.

thanks for the notepad++ tip though, it looks cool :)

norm - could you please post your complete autorun.gpu? it may help fix the problem :p

ive tried editing the original gmenu autorun.gpu, and editing the energy saver autorun.gpu. both work, but do not execute the energy saver function :(

neither of them cause gmenu to flicker, but neither of them actually run energysaver.gpu, or so it seems :|

Blah said:
norm said:
iv got it working - just edit the path at the bottom of the energysaver autorun to gmenu and all works fine :)

it runs gmenu, but doesn't run energysaver.

ive tried this;

#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x

which end in the energysaver error and flickering screen.

this;

#!/bin/sh
# AutoRun script for EnergySaver - Script de inicio para EnergySaver
# Copy to root of SD Card or NAND - Copiar a la raiz de una SD o de la NAND
# Copy setbl to the same place - Copiar setbl al mismo lugar
# Activate autorun feature and - Activar el autoinicio de la consola y
# NAND automount if necessary - el montaje de la NAND si hiciera falta

# Edit only this two lines - Editar estas dos lineas
SPEED=20
TIME=30
EXCEPTIONS="mplayer MusicPlayer g_file_storage"
# Please, don't delete the quotes - Por favor, no borre las comillas
# PLEASE, DO NOT EDIT UNDER THIS LINE - NO EDITAR POR DEBAJO DE ESTA LINEA
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- #
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- #
killall setbl

${0%/*}/setbl $SPEED $TIME $EXCEPTIONS &>/dev/null &

cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x

which does exactly the same.

and this;

#!/bin/sh
# AutoRun script for EnergySaver - Script de inicio para EnergySaver
# Copy to root of SD Card or NAND - Copiar a la raiz de una SD o de la NAND
# Copy setbl to the same place - Copiar setbl al mismo lugar
# Activate autorun feature and - Activar el autoinicio de la consola y
# NAND automount if necessary - el montaje de la NAND si hiciera falta

# Edit only this two lines - Editar estas dos lineas
SPEED=20
TIME=30
EXCEPTIONS="mplayer MusicPlayer g_file_storage"
# Please, don't delete the quotes - Por favor, no borre las comillas
# PLEASE, DO NOT EDIT UNDER THIS LINE - NO EDITAR POR DEBAJO DE ESTA LINEA
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
killall setbl

${0%/*}/setbl $SPEED $TIME $EXCEPTIONS &>/dev/null &

cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x

which doesn't seem to call the energysaver function at all (obviousley)

am i doing this wrong?

Ryo said:
Try this:
CODE
/mnt/sd/Apps/EnergySaver/EnergySaver/EnergySaver.gpu &
cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x
i still get the spanish error message, and gmenu goes crazy!, its a good job i'm not eplileptic! :)

hmmmmm....

Back