Enable Network Manager After Startup?


naples39

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
695
I disabled network manager on startup because the majority of the time I use the pandora it's for gaming, and no internet connection is required. I figured it makes startup take longer, decreases battery, and uses up cpu cycles.

However, now if I want to use any internet features, I have to go into xfce, change the startup options, and restart. Is there anyway to enable network manager after startup without doing a restart?
 

Pleng

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
3,030
did you disable networking altogether? or just disable wifi on startup?

If you disabled wifi on startup then in minimenu, under system or setting there's a toggle wifi icon. In XFCE, under the system menu there's also a toggle wifi option.
 

Sander Hoksbergen

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
59
I haven't received my Pandora yet or tried Angstrom, but try looking in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d and running the scripts.
 

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,790
Location
In a cave.
Website
Visit site
You can open a terminal or hit Alt-F2 to get the run dialog and type nm-applet

You can also create a desktop or taskbar launcher for it as well.
 

naples39

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
695
Pleng said:
did you disable networking altogether? or just disable wifi on startup?

If you disabled wifi on startup then in minimenu, under system or setting there's a toggle wifi icon. In XFCE, under the system menu there's also a toggle wifi option.

I had disabled wifi and network manager on startup. I can toggle the wifi easily, but without network manager it won't connect to any networks.

mindlord said:
You can open a terminal or hit Alt-F2 to get the run dialog and type nm-applet

You can also create a desktop or taskbar launcher for it as well.

Thanks, I will try that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pleng

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
3,030
naples39 said:
Pleng said:
did you disable networking altogether? or just disable wifi on startup?

If you disabled wifi on startup then in minimenu, under system or setting there's a toggle wifi icon. In XFCE, under the system menu there's also a toggle wifi option.

I had disabled wifi and network manager on startup. I can toggle the wifi easily, but without network manager it won't connect to any networks.

hmm how did you manage that? the config tools supplied only allow you to enable/disable wifi on boot. Anyway you can right-click on the network icon in the xfce panel and you should get a menu with enable networking as one of the options
 
Last edited by a moderator:

naples39

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
695
Pleng said:
naples39 said:
Pleng said:
did you disable networking altogether? or just disable wifi on startup?

If you disabled wifi on startup then in minimenu, under system or setting there's a toggle wifi icon. In XFCE, under the system menu there's also a toggle wifi option.

I had disabled wifi and network manager on startup. I can toggle the wifi easily, but without network manager it won't connect to any networks.

hmm how did you manage that? the config tools supplied only allow you to enable/disable wifi on boot. Anyway you can right-click on the network icon in the xfce panel and you should get a menu with enable networking as one of the options

If you go to Pandora Menu>Settings>Session and Startup, then the Application Autostart tab there is a check box to autostart Network Manager on boot. If you don't autostart network manager on boot there is no network icon in the xfce panel.

Either way, mindlord's solution to startup through the terminal works, although with my linux noob-ness I'm not sure how to create a script/shortcut to do that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,790
Location
In a cave.
Website
Visit site
naples39 said:
If you go to Pandora Menu>Settings>Session and Startup, then the Application Autostart tab there is a check box to autostart Network Manager on boot. If you don't autostart network manager on boot there is no network icon in the xfce panel.

Either way, mindlord's solution to startup through the terminal works, although with my linux noob-ness I'm not sure how to create a script/shortcut to do that.
1a) Rightclick the desktop if you want it on the desktop
1b) Rightclick the Panel (taskbar for you Windows people) and choose Add new items
2) Choose Create Launcher... or Laucher depending on your previous choice
3) Fill in the form:
4) Name: Network Manager Applet
5) Description: Start the Network Manager
6) Command: nm-applet
7) Give it an icon that you like.

Unfortunately putting it in the menu is much more complicated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xopher

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
263
Location
Where I am
Semi-related, anyone know the command that toggles bluetooth? I wish I could have that enabled at boot time.

EDIT: Thanks mindlord
 

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,790
Location
In a cave.
Website
Visit site
xopher said:
Semi-related, anyone know the command that toggles bluetooth? I wish I could have that enabled at boot time.
/usr/pandora/scripts/op_bluetooth.sh
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pleng

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
3,030
naples39 said:
Either way, mindlord's solution to startup through the terminal works, although with my linux noob-ness I'm not sure how to create a script/shortcut to do that.

If you unpack the contents of this archive to the menu folder on one of your SD cards, it should add an entry to your 'network' menu which will run the command for you

Haven't tested it though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,790
Location
In a cave.
Website
Visit site
I'm going to link this here.

It is a guide to creating custom menu items for situations just like this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top