Mugen Possible?

lodoss118

Still Fresh
could mugen be possible to port over? just realised its not open source does anyone know the author?

No, no and another no: N64 will NEVER EVER HAPPENS on GP2X!! And don't aks anymore (sorry to sound harsh but I can't stand it anymore ppl crying for emulators that are DEFINETLY impossible!!)!! The GP2X doesn't have any 3D accellerator (just take a look at the PSX emu...) and the CPU is only 2 time faster than the N64 one (considering the second CPU using only for 3D stuff). Just get a iQue or a real N64 if you want to play it and out it in a nice case, add some powersupply and that's it!

QuasaR posted on Feb 6 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
No, no and another no: N64 will NEVER EVER HAPPENS on GP2X!! And don't aks anymore (sorry to sound harsh but I can't stand it anymore ppl crying for emulators that are DEFINETLY impossible!!)!! The GP2X doesn't have any 3D accellerator (just take a look at the PSX emu...) and the CPU is only 2 time faster than the N64 one (considering the second CPU using only for 3D stuff). Just get a iQue or a real N64 if you want to play it and out it in a nice case, add some powersupply and that's it!

Mugen isn't an N64 emulator :p Think of it like Beats of Rage but for making games like SF2 and King of Fighters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N

Last edited by a moderator:
QuasaR posted on Feb 6 2006 at 11:41 AM said:

Woohoo, the most displaced flaming I ever saw here... What the hell made you think this is about N64 emulation??? :rolleyes:

Back to topic: I would really like a Mugen port to play some of those cool DBZ fighting games...

Kensupen posted on Feb 6 2006 at 11:10 AM said:
Mupen is a Mac N64 emu.

-Kensupen

But nobody has talked about mupen before in this thread...

mupen != mugen

Furthermore a N64 emulator is not impossible, although it will likely be very sloooooow ...
I'm tired of all these "I know everything better than you" people ...

@lodoss118: Sorry, misread your post...
@deed: so, Xbox and PS2 should be possible on GP2X, too. "although it will likely be very sloooooow ..." I only count a system emulated when it runs at reasonable speed, e.g. fs1 with sound. And, yes, I think I know somethings regarding computers better than others, since I'm a coder.

I think by emulated, they mean playable.... Something that crawls along like a slideshow isnt' playable... And without sound, it's more like a silent movie version of a system.

Any N64 emulator would crawl along like a toddler with four broken limbs. And you could pretty much forget any sound. And heavily optimized for ARM, using both CPU's, and every Dev trick in the book, it still wouldn't be playable at any decent rate, from what I understand.

As for MUGEN, the fighting port, I find that an interesting idea on the 2X. isn't Beats of Rage being ported?

QuasaR posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
@Deed: so, Xbox and PS2 should be possible on GP2X, too. "although it will likely be very sloooooow ..." I only count a system emulated when it runs at reasonable speed, e.g. fs1 with sound. And, yes, I think I know somethings regarding computers better than others, since I'm a coder.
Of course without reasonable speed an emu is pointless, but, it is like a proof of concept. I don't think it is possible to get a ps2 emu even booting, but who can say ? For example, someone else already proved that it is possible to have windows95 running :lol: So, it is not impossible, it's just pointless B)
Also in my post I was essentially reffering to all these people (maybe coders also) that was thinking that a snes emu was impossible, not even speaking about a psx emu :p
Coming back to the N64 : I think that some games may be near playable with top notch asm optimization if the emu is dedicated to emulate these specific games ... But I wouldn't count on it too much :D

edit : what is an "iQue" ?

Deed posted on Feb 6 2006 at 11:11 AM said:
I'm tired of all these "I know everything better than you" people ...
That is what is known as being "elitist".

For example:
QuasaR posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:19 PM said:
@Deed: so, Xbox and PS2 should be possible on GP2X, too. "although it will likely be very sloooooow ..." I only count a system emulated when it runs at reasonable speed, e.g. fs1 with sound. And, yes, I think I know somethings regarding computers better than others, since I'm a coder.
;)

@deed: so, Xbox and PS2 should be possible on GP2X, too. "although it will likely be very sloooooow ..." I only count a system emulated when it runs at reasonable speed, e.g. fs1 with sound. And, yes, I think I know somethings regarding computers better than others, since I'm a coder.

WOW... whoever said that needs 2 things... 1) learn some manners 2) a smack in the head. Elitism is a terrible disease!

timbobsteve posted on Feb 6 2006 at 02:03 PM said:

WOW... whoever said that needs 2 things... 1) learn some manners 2) a smack in the head. Elitism is a terrible disease!
Wow :blink: Now it's a bit harsh. QuasaR is not totally wrong, as a coder he certainly knows computers better than many other people. I was essentially pointing out his displaced pessimism. A good coder would not say "that's impossible", but rather would say "let's try to push my coding knowledge and the hardware to the limits, and see what will happen :)"

There is an OpenMUGEN, looks like it's not in very advanced stages, but it's better to port it and continue than start a clone from scratch if you really want the game.

Empyre posted on Feb 6 2006 at 06:53 AM said:
Winterkid posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
Any N64 emulator would crawl along like a toddler with four broken limbs.
Not an image I really needed in my head! :p
Sorry, keep forgetting not everyone likes the same hobbies I do. *chuckles*

Alright, how about an N64 emulator would crawl along like a snail on prozac..?

Back