Mud clients

Sup guys, I got back into Muds recently (aardwolf yeeeah)

Can't find any on the app store though? I saw a link to tinyfugue but that link is long dead...

Cheers

I've always just used a Telnet client back in the day...

I mean sure....but Mud clients can now make mud games look like this XD

aardwolf-mud-client4.jpg

Cheers dude I'll give it a go

I actually did a short presentation about MUSHes / MUCKs for a My Little Pony convention just recently, and touched on all that! :)
Slide deck (LibreOffice Impress): http://schd.ws/hosted_files/bronycan2016/74/BronyCAN2016-RoleplayingInRealtime-r1.odp

For UNIX systems, TinyFugue is still king if you're fine with a console-based one. If you want a GUI, Potato is the big cross-platform one people are using these days, but I used to like Trebuchet as well. All of those are Tcl/Tk I believe. There's also TinTin++, but I've never tried that, and it looks like another console one.

I like TinTin++ (runs in a terminal), it compiles easily on the Pandora and it also integrates well with bash (or everything that deals with a CLI).
Also it has an integrated mapper.

I've always just used a Telnet client back in the day...
The Windows telnet client I suppose, such a joy to use :D

Hi all :)

I have found this interesting article about MUD clients on Wikipedia.

What would be the best client for a newcomer to MUDs like me ?

Suggestions about MUD games are also welcomed ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam

I suppose you should just start with the absolute minimalistic Telnet, so you'll learn the commands, and see everything a MUD has to offer, then, after a bit of practice, you can choose if you like better a "mouse interface" where you can create buttons and various graphic menus, or a "Console" one that mainly can be used for many cool things (for example you will be able to connect to your home client from another PC using SSH).

The rest of the fun is to automate them !! Every single MUD client can be scripted pretty deep.

Anyway if you have already choosen a MUD to play, you should ask to their community, maybe there are already made scripts for beginners, and maybe an "official client"

The Windows telnet client I suppose, such a joy to use
Actually no... it was a telnet client built onto the VM/CMS system we used at work at IBM and interfaced it with a 3270 emulator. I was Working 12 hour nightshifts back in the late 90's early 2000's, it killed sometime as not every terminal had a web browser back then.

Hi all :)

@Kithop : I gave Potato a try yesterday evening, but it didn't start on the Pandora (some Tcl/Tk error, I don't really remember...)

@PowerGod : I guess you're right about telnet. Which MUD game should I try first in your opinion ?

I also tried to compile Mudlet yesterday, it worked fine until the Pandora ran out of virtual memory... I'll try again ASAP with some swap ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam

@PowerGod : Which MUD game should I try first in your opinion ?

I mainly played the same MUD for like 20 years (and lately many old players are repopping), but it's almost completely translated in italian now, so I can't help here...

You can have a look at http://www.mudconnect.com to search about a genre you like, but the site was not updated for many years, so many entries could be dead...

The good things of MUDs is that you don't have to download fat clients just to try them ;)

I think Trebuchet will always be my fave, but that MUSHClient in the screenshot above looks really nice, is it open source?

Sup guys, if you're playing on a linux system I'd say that Mudlet is the best client hands down. Nothing comes close and is still actively developed.

http://www.mudlet.org/

It allows scripts for different games so you can configure them nicely like the screenshot above.

I mean this is how configured mudlet can get and pretty much all the top 10 mud games have scripts for additional functionality for mudlet.

GAt1d.png

For recommendations of games I'm enjoying Aarwolf though I found it quite hard as it was my first Mud.

3Kingdoms is much more newb friendly and gets you right into the action rather than boring academy thing.

Back