Mplayer Selector

FastMHz

Still Fresh
Website
www.fastmhz.com
FastMHz.com Presents:

__-Media Player Selector for GP2X (Release R2)-__

GP2X Version Tested: MK2 w/Firmware 2.00

Description: My GP2X (and apparently quite a few others) will crash randomly while playing media, so I compiled this selection of different mplayer replacements from the GP2X community. This package consists of GPU files as follows:

Install Mplayer101.gpu
Install Mplayer200.gpu

They are BASH scripts that will install each of the mplayer binaries to the NAND of your GP2X. I simply put these together with simple installation scripts. Credit for the binaries is gratefully extended to the following people:

MPlayer101: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19974
Credit goes to wraggster for ripping this one from firmware 1.0.1

MPlayer200: I ripped it from my own Firmware 2.00 - serves as a backup so you can go back to normal if the others fail.

***Please, let me know of any other modified mplayers I should include!!***

DISCLAIMER: The author (FastMHz) assumes no liability for any incidental, consequential or other liability from the use of this information. All risks and damages, incidental or otherwise, arising from the use or misuse of the information contained herein are entirely the responsibility of the user. Although careful precaution has been taken in the preparation of this material, we assume no responsibility for omissions or errors.

DOWNLOAD PACKAGE HERE: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,1762

FastMHz posted on Aug 19 2006 at 07:58 PM said:
Mplayer is used for playing movies and music, so replacing this file changes the way the built in music and movie players perform.
MPlayer might be what the music and movie apps are based on, but the actual binaries on the gp2x are two seperate programs. /usr/gp2x/mplayer is the movie player, and /usr/gp2x/MusicPlayer is the, well, I'm sure you can guess ;). If I'm not mistaken, the gp2x mplayers only allow you to browse for video files so this won't make any difference to music playback. Never tried Waninkoko's version, but if it does allow you to browse for music you'll have to launch it from the Video option on the menu, not Music.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong, but I do think the GP2X's music player does use the mplayer in the background...for one thing, I saw plenty of references to it when I looked through the MusicPlayer binary, and replacing the mplayer solved my lockups too...

I'll definitely add the one Purist pointed too in my next update.

Please, post any others I should know about ;-)

EDIT: I did some digging around and found that when the mplayerHAK is installed, the built in Video Player doesn't load, so you'll have to use the mplayer101 or mplayer200. I wish there was a good way to do an auto swap based on whether you start the music player or video player...hmmm...using gmenu2x that could be done easily but is it a good idea?

I also checked out the mp2x, but that appears to have its own skins and other extra files, so I'm not sure about putting that in NAND - would it work properly?

FastMHz posted on Aug 19 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
I could be wrong, but I do think the GP2X's music player does use the mplayer in the background...for one thing, I saw plenty of references to it when I looked through the MusicPlayer binary, and replacing the mplayer solved my lockups too...

I'll definitely add the one Purist pointed too in my next update.

Please, post any others I should know about ;-)
I've just removed mplayer and MusicPlayer still works fine. I suppose there's always the possibility that the filesystem on my gp2x is seriously shagged due to the amount of times I've messed with stuff, and what I'm looking at is a fw1 MusicPlayer not fw2, but it seems unlikely. But there's also the possibility that the references to mplayer you see in MusicPlayer are for the embedded mplayer code and not the /usr/gp2x/mplayer executable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange...maybe I just wasted everyone's time...don't know why it seems to have fixed my MusicPlayer though - maybe some sort of problem in my particular GP2X.

These are the strings in MusicPlayer that lead me to believe it used mplayer:

stream_read: WARNING! s->buf_pos>s->buf_len
/.mplayer
%s%s/%s
get_path('%s') -> '%s'
stream.dump

Should I pull it from the archive or has someone else found it beneficial?

Can someone rip a MusicPlayer from firmware 1.0.1? I'd like to try that and see what happens.

The Photo Viewer's not using Mplayer in any capacity, is it? I would assume they'd write their own app, but if memory serves Mplayer can read an image file and display it still just as well as it can play video/audio. The biggest problem I have is the photo viewer crashing on image files, and usually, if I open the same file again it's fine-- so I know it's the program and not the documents I'm loading.

I need to find some time soon to optimize and re-release the Photo viewer with an overclocking function.I assume it sets itself to 200 Mhz internally knowing GPH, but if not, maybe I can just do that from GMenu. I hope so; less hassle. It'd probably be a bit peppier about scrolling about and changing images if it took advantage of Paeryn's HW-SDL as well.

Back