MoviePark file size too big

zboy9

かっこいいね。
I am taking a ripped DVD file and was using VirtualDub and in the status window it said the projected file size would be around 170MB when I was about 25% through with the dub. I have used VirtualDub before and I had the video resized to the correct setting and everything. So my question is how can I make the file smaller? Does the actual file size decrease when you are done with the dub? Oh, by the way the movie is anime and about 70 mins long, so you would think that the file wouldn't be that big. Can someone help? Please? Thanks

It doesn't decrease when the dub is finished, but very often you'll find the estimated size isn't accurate until near the end.

If it's still too big, you'll have to decrease the bitrate. It is unusual to get a file that big from a 70 min movie though. I get a file size of about 25-30mb for a 21min episode of the simpsons, meaning a 70min anime should give you around 100mrg(ish) file. Obviously, the amount of detail in teh animation will affect the file size too, but it shouldn't make THAT much difference!

okay, I decreased the bitrate from 124 to 95, but the projected file size still says about 155MB. What should I do? Thanks for your help ;)

i say u should let the processus go to the end, may be it will decrease enough to fit

edit: do you use mp3 compression for the sound?

I often find that the projected file size is inaccurate to begin with and the output can derease as it gets converted so I would advise to just do it all the way through and see the actuall final size.

No, since I ripped a DVD the sound is Wav, but i will run it all the way through and see how big it is. Thanks for your support and help.

But you can't do any other type of compression :angry: Wish OGG worked w/ movie park. Also the audio bitrate can't be under ~11,000 and when I decrease it to 400 (on the comp I can still recognize the sound ;) ) a harry potter movie goes to about 30MB <_<

Edit: the 11,000 thing is the Hz not bitrate.

Assuming you're following the VirtualDub tutorial at http://faq.gp32emu.com/

You -should- have an MP3 codec. I have two, one generic, one Lame. BladeEnc is another popular codec. They all do the same thing. You need 18-24 bitrate, 11500 Hz, stereo or mono.

Aside from that, my main issue is the anime nature of the film. Compression can vary for these. Remember that DivX, like MPEG-2 before it, is designed for live action primarily. DivX will work good on cartoon/anime because of the solid colours, on the other hand bad as there will be a drop in quality, lines will be less sharp, etc. Detailed cartoons - like many animes - will suffer. The Simpsons - very simple in construction - won't.

So if you have tried everything my best guess would be the source file itself.

- Rico

Thanks for all the help and replies. I haven't tried all the stuff yet but I did run it through and it turned out to be 137MB. Like I said earlier, I am using a DVD ripping process where you have to use WAV sound. It "won't" work any other way. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help and replies. I haven't tried all the stuff yet but I did run it through and it turned out to be 137MB. Like I said earlier, I am using a DVD ripping process where you have to use WAV sound. It "won't" work any other way. Thanks again. Oh yeah, do you have to use 32bit sound? Can you use for instance 16bit or 8bit with the 11000?

Finaly, something I have lots of experience with! :D

You can keep your bitrate at 128. Keep the framerate decimated by three. Your problem lies in two places:

* In the codec settings, change your maximum quantizer to 30 and your minimum quantizer to nothing less than 15.

* Set the audio to full processing mode. Convert to 22050Hz. Select MPEG Layer-3 Compression (you may have to check the "Show all formats" box) 24 kBit/s, 22050Hz, Mono.

Using these settings, I was able to get Akira (a full 2 hours of video) down to about 60 megs with decent A/V quality.
YEAH!!!

One way to compress it better is to extract the sound first from the dvd into a wav file and then the video. Then after that, re-encode the two together, but this time you would be able to compress the audio into mp3 format. Good luck with it all.

Okay, I followed kitsune's directions, and it was only 68MB!!!! Thanks a lot everyone for your help. You guys are great! Now I just have to test it on my gp32.

kitsune posted on May 11 2003 said:
Finaly, something I have lots of experience with! :D

You can keep your bitrate at 128. Keep the framerate decimated by three. Your problem lies in two places:

* In the codec settings, change your maximum quantizer to 30 and your minimum quantizer to nothing less than 15.

* Set the audio to full processing mode. Convert to 22050Hz. Select MPEG Layer-3 Compression (you may have to check the "Show all formats" box) 24 kBit/s, 22050Hz, Mono.

Using these settings, I was able to get Akira (a full 2 hours of video) down to about 60 megs with decent A/V quality.
YEAH!!!
I thought that moviepark only supported stero sound, not mono??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back