Movie Playing Modes

Daikira

Still Fresh
What mode are you usually using?
I usually use save, because when you have converted resolution to 320x240 it will run full speed with that and it will look good.
But is that underclocking?

I mainly use my GP2X to watch a LOT of anime on it. Unfotunately the GP2X will literally drain a fully-charged 2500mAH pair of Energizer batteries in about 20 minutes (one episode length) when using the 'Normal' mode on the video player. 'Save' just skips and lags like a dial-up modem so I usually never use that option. I've used pocketdivx to encode my episodes to a resolution of 320 x 240 and default settings for both the video and audio quality. To the others who use Pocketdivx, what are the settings that you used when you re-encoded your video files? I think it's just me not tinkering the settings correctly :(

mrpham posted on Mar 16 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
I mainly use my GP2X to watch a LOT of anime on it. Unfotunately the GP2X will literally drain a fully-charged 2500mAH pair of Energizer batteries in about 20 minutes (one episode length) when using the 'Normal' mode on the video player. 'Save' just skips and lags like a dial-up modem so I usually never use that option. I've used pocketdivx to encode my episodes to a resolution of 320 x 240 and default settings for both the video and audio quality. To the others who use Pocketdivx, what are the settings that you used when you re-encoded your video files? I think it's just me not tinkering the settings correctly :(
select pda in pocket divx. converted movies will run smoothly with save (100Mhz)
I watch anime too, and I can fit 1 converted season to 1gig card AND I have 2600amh batteries, record is 9-10hours anime

Jarska333 posted on Mar 16 2006 at 09:08 PM said:
Say, are there similar modes for audio playing? Or does the thing play MP3's at 200Mhz?
mp3's play with 44 Mhz, and when I turn the screen off while listening mp3's I get 20-30 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that going to help GREATLY! I just used the default preset that pocketdivx came with which was for the Archos and coincidentally it came with a resolution of 320 x 240. You don't know how much it hurt me when I was watching the last episode of the first of the Full Metal Panic series and it cut it off during the last of the 20 minutes T_T . It wasn't until 6 hours later that I was able to finish off that minute that GP2X failed to play :(. As heartbroken as I was, the awesomeness of the series made up for it :p

mrpham posted on Mar 16 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
I mainly use my GP2X to watch a LOT of 2600amh batteries, record is 9-10hours anime
Daikira posted on Mar 16 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
mp3's play with 44 Mhz, and when I turn the screen off while listening mp3's I get 20-30 hours

Haha, it's truly stunning how much power the LCD backlight draws compared to both processors and the video decoding helper core-- good ol' ARM. Now aren't you glad the GP2x doesn't use a power-hungry ancient MIPS architecture like the PSP?..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back