Most Inspiring Game?

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 22 2006 at 09:44 PM said:
I meant it as a compliment. I know what its like trying to put graphics together - as if it matters to actual gameplay.

Top marks Goity. Its my favorite game on the GP2X.

on a side note what do we call the unit? The GP, the GP2X, the 2X, the battery eating monster?

ruckage posted on Dec 22 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
Most inspiring thing Ive seen on the GP2X is GoitGeePee by Goity. Rubbish programmer graphics aside ;) the mode 7 simulation is excellent.

Id love to know how that was done.

Mode 7 functionality is built in to Fenix. Got to be careful how you use it as it can be quite slow if you're not careful.

Is Fenix any good? Im fairly new to C (pong was my first C game).

I like how easy the development cycle is with C though. I can code it for windows and run it on The Unit once Im happy with any progress.
Fenix is interpreted, so you can run it on PC and GP2x without a recompile. However, the speed is still pretty good considering this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found tilematch quite inspiring - it was the first complete and polished homebrew game I found for the gp2x and showed me that it was possible for one person to do a complete game with menus and sfx! Thanks to the person who did it! (miq01 (or something))

Just to add to it, my all time favourite is Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) but that doesn't play under GP2X. :p

journeys end on the zx spectrum,,,first rpg \ adventure game i played,,similair to f fantasy games -but was made 1985 ....any true final fantasy fan out there should play this....

GunPei2X posted on Dec 22 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
kevcal posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
Bit like writing defender 2 - you can't improve on the original (even Jeff Minter couldn't).
Ah, but Archer Maclean did :)

Mmmm... possibly. Dunno - I guess I don't like remakes of games that had such an effect on me back then.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 22 2006 at 09:03 PM said:
Don't knock it until you have seen the update. It will have all the feel, sounds and game play of the original. At least give me a chance before you rubbish it.

Yeah, hadn't meant to rubbish the idea of berzerk remake :( I just think that if you get that far writing the basics of a game (say) like berzerk, you could maybe bring in some new ideas to it rather than just rehashing it ?

We have an excellent version of berzerk on mame; possibly look at additions to it?? Maybe something like you have to kill the robots in a certain order or destroy something on each screen.. etc??

I wrote a bombaman game a long time ago and added things like molotov cocktails, invisibility, kicked/thrown (invisible) bombs and all kinds of extras in order to make me feel like I was bringing something new to the game and hopefully adding more fun; since then I guiess all those sorts of things crept into that family of games anyway.

Anyway, I apologise if I sounded harsh; I love the original game as much as you. ;)

Kev

nickspoon posted on Dec 24 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Speaking of Kuru Kuru, how's your version of it coming along? I still have it on my SD and give it a go once in a while, and more levels would round it up quite well :)

As for an inspiring game, I'd have to go with id Software's Wolfenstein 3D - nothing's more inspiring than quick-paced fun!

- Alex

Well this game doesn't run on the GP2X, but Tales of Symphonia inspired me to not give up gaming, I hadn't really enjoyed any video games like I did back when I was a little kid and I felt as though maybe my time as a gamer was up.

Then I stumbled upon this game on Ebay, bought it, played it and instantly fell in love with it. I played this game for hours and hours until my hands hurt, it felt like I was a kid again :D

It also gave me hope that maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places for games and that my time as a gamer was long from being over, so I have to thank Namco for this game and for making me fall in love again with gaming all over.

Thanks to Square-Enix and Namco(again) for other games I enjoyed after my 5+ year gaming drought.

/nerd mini-rant over

Back