Most Inspiring Game?

sciboy

Still Fresh
Okay is there any games you found particularly inspiring that are available on the GP2X? (emulation, ports, homebrew included)
I know there has got to be a few. :p

sciboy posted on Dec 22 2006 at 01:08 PM said:
Okay is there any games you found particularly inspiring that are available on the GP2X? (emulation, ports, homebrew included)
I know there has got to be a few. :p
Believe it or not, Berzerk (on MAME) was the game that inspired me a lot. I now have my Domain, berzerk.co.uk, and I am writing an updated version for the GP2X (Berzerk 2X) which will be released in the new year :).

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 22 2006 at 04:52 PM said:
Believe it or not, Berzerk (on MAME) was the game that inspired me a lot. I now have my Domain, berzerk.co.uk, and I am writing an updated version for the GP2X (Berzerk 2X) which will be released in the new year :).
Berzerk :blink: :blink: :huh: :huh: :eek: :eek:

Don't do it please!

Back when I was a kid, and this stands out to me to this day -- Phantasy Star I on the SMS. Never had i been so engulfed in a game's storyline, that I'd even dream about it.
Never had a game like this existed and it consumed me. It also held a real sense of teamwork between my friend and I who worked for over a year to complete it.

Actually, we got stuck on one of the final labyrinths on Dezoris .. and we never did finish the game (since this was Pre-Internet). A few years later I found a hint book in a magazine, and found how to get past where I was, and I jumped right back in and beat the game.

All in all, Phantasy Star! And it works beautifully on GP2x

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 22 2006 at 01:52 PM said:
I love Berserk! Are you going to have the walls and baddies change to green when you go near them like on the original? :D

Best leave Berzerk alone :( Probably one of my oldest faves - that and cosmic guerilla.
Can't be improved without spoiling it I reckon. It's simplicity is part of its charm.

Bit like writing defender 2 - you can't improve on the original (even Jeff Minter couldn't).

EDIT: Sounded a bit harsh - go for it, but don't call it berzerk :)

Most inspiring thing Ive seen on the GP2X is GoitGeePee by Goity. Rubbish programmer graphics aside ;) the mode 7 simulation is excellent.

Id love to know how that was done.

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
Most inspiring thing Ive seen on the GP2X is GoitGeePee by Goity. Rubbish programmer graphics aside ;) the mode 7 simulation is excellent.

Mode 7 functionality is built in to Fenix. Got to be careful how you use it as it can be quite slow if you're not careful.

the most inspiring gamefor me was Doom...idk why but theres something about killing tons of imps that seems to inspire me....

Alter Ego on Commodore 64. This was the Sims before the Sims, and still has more complexity. Allowed me as a little 7 year old to get an idea of what life had in store for me!

Duke Nukem 3D, when I seen how well it played on the GP2X, my first thought was Daggerfall, my most favorite game of all time, and even though we still don't have Daggerfall on the GP2X, atleast I still have hope :p.

kevcal posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
Best leave Berzerk alone :( Probably one of my oldest faves - that and cosmic guerilla.
Can't be improved without spoiling it I reckon. It's simplicity is part of its charm.

Bit like writing defender 2 - you can't improve on the original (even Jeff Minter couldn't).

EDIT: Sounded a bit harsh - go for it, but don't call it berzerk :)
Don't knock it until you have seen the update. It will have all the feel, sounds and game play of the original. At least give me a chance before you rubbish it.

I don't know whether to feel complimented or insulted.

Goity posted on Dec 22 2006 at 09:03 PM said:

I don't know whether to feel complimented or insulted.
If I was you I would feel complimented, as you did a good job there :)

I meant it as a compliment. I know what its like trying to put graphics together - as if it matters to actual gameplay.

Top marks Goity. Its my favorite game on the GP2X.

on a side note what do we call the unit? The GP, the GP2X, the 2X, the battery eating monster?

ruckage posted on Dec 22 2006 at 08:09 PM said:

Mode 7 functionality is built in to Fenix. Got to be careful how you use it as it can be quite slow if you're not careful.

Is Fenix any good? Im fairly new to C (pong was my first C game).

I like how easy the development cycle is with C though. I can code it for windows and run it on The Unit once Im happy with any progress.

kevcal posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:04 PM said:

Ah, but Archer Maclean did :)

Well my most inspiring game should be Flappy. Flappy is available for the NES but I used to play the Sharp MZ800 version (the best version ever, I hope one day to play this version on the GP2X).
It's a puzzle game with some action that is great fun to play. This game made me understand that with a bit of brainpower it's possible to find a solution to seemingly impossible tasks. If that isn't inspiring, what is :)

Back