GP2X More Video Formats On Gp2x : Realmedia,3gp Why Not ?

Alghazanth

Well ; I was thinking this for some time.Is it possible to run these video types on :gp2x ; or isn't it -high requirements?- . Since almost %90 of anime downloaded on internet are in .rm,.ram and .rmvb in order to have a great quality/size ratio ; it'd be very nice if they could be directly watched on :gp2x .Converting all episodes takes some time , especially on a old pc *mendokuse*.Also 3gp files used expecially in phones have insanely small filesizes and would be convenient to use on a small screen device I believe
Thanks

Alghazanth said:
Well ; I was thinking this for some time.Is it possible to run these video types on :gp2x ; or isn't it -high requirements?- . Since almost %90 of anime downloaded on internet are in .rm,.ram and .rmvb in order to have a great quality/size ratio ; it'd be very nice if they could be directly watched on :gp2x .Converting all episodes takes some time , especially on a old pc *mendokuse*.Also 3gp files used expecially in phones have insanely small filesizes and would be convenient to use on a small screen device I believe
Thanks
I agree when i want to watch my shippuuden on my :gp2x converting takes long even on a good computer the video is already good quality so what's the problem for not adding these formats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your anime from? I've got over 300 DVD-Rs full of fansubs, and not one episode is in a Real format - the vast majority are avi and mkv, with an occasional ogm set. The only place I've ever seen realmedia was at one website that offered html downloads rather than torrents, and their files were just the fansubs converted to realmedia from the originals (and the quality was pretty degraded from those originals).

Hallie Miles said:
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your anime from? I've got over 300 DVD-Rs full of fansubs, and not one episode is in a Real format - the vast majority are avi and mkv, with an occasional ogm set. The only place I've ever seen realmedia was at one website that offered html downloads rather than torrents, and their files were just the fansubs converted to realmedia from the originals (and the quality was pretty degraded from those originals).
Probably the same site you know ; shortly known as rl in anime communities ; a html site as you stated.
Since my connection speed is slow ; and torrents really don't work well I mostly dl my anime from direct download sites and as rmvb and mp4 files with small sizes

By the way ; isn't media player classic os ? I wonder if the needed processing speed for rm files is too high hmm

There are other players in the archive, but they're slow. The built-in player uses the hardware MPeg 4 decoder and so is fast.

The licenses are pretty expensive for some formats, it could add $20 to the unit cost for something a lot of people would never use, I mean realmedia? That's a dead format.

craigix said:
The licenses are pretty expensive for some formats, it could add $20 to the unit cost for something a lot of people would never use, I mean realmedia? That's a dead format.
And what about *.rmvb format? is any player for this device able to open this format?

mpc is windows software...but anyway i think the "codec" part is just libmpeg2, so i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't already gp2x software that can handle realmedia using this same library. but like parkydr says, it's not going to be fast.

Converting a 640x480 H264 MKV to 320x240 AVI with mencoder takes about 3mins on my X2 3800 ... i don't think this is much time.

To the codec ... FFMPEG2's libavcodec only decodes RM files that are RV10 and RV20 encoded ... not RV30 or RV40. So you could only watch a small part of the available RMs. Realalternative uses the original DLLs the RealPlayer provides.

god_at_hell said:
Converting a 640x480 H264 MKV to 320x240 AVI with mencoder takes about 3mins on my X2 3800 ... i don't think this is much time.

To the codec ... FFMPEG2's libavcodec only decodes RM files that are RV10 and RV20 encoded ... not RV30 or RV40. So you could only watch a small part of the available RMs. Realalternative uses the original DLLs the RealPlayer provides.
Which software do you use for video converting ? And is it possible to choose the quality of output avi file when converting from rm or rmvb ? In my attempts the result files were insanely huge ; like 300 mb avis from 50 mb rmvb's :unsure:

Back