Mono And 'system.deployment'

Pleng

I have developed an application in VB.Net 2005 and am attempting to compile the app in Mono using the Mono 2.0.1/openSUSE 11.0 VMWare image. When attempting to compile the application I am greeted with the following error:

"The library 'System.Deployment' could not be found.(VBNC2017)"

I am unable to find any documentation on system.deployment which might help me locate which part of my code is actually making the call, but I'm not really able to find anything. Does anybody have any ideas where I might begin to look (other than MSDN which I've already searched)?

Have you tried excluding that reference from your project, and then recompiling? It might not be strictly necessary for your app, as I think it just gets added by default to new projects.

Worth a try, good luck :)

Lobo said:
Have you tried excluding that reference from your project, and then recompiling? It might not be strictly necessary for your app, as I think it just gets added by default to new projects.

Worth a try, good luck :)
Thanks, that does appear to have resolved that error. Now I'm a getting 'too many arguments provided to Sub New(())' error in application.deisgner.vb! I'll have to look into that one!

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Googling, I came across someone else with a similar issue who was told:

In the project's compiler options page there's a textbox for additional
compiler arguments.

Add:

-define=_MYTYPE=\"WindowsForms\"

Lobo said:
Googling, I came across someone else with a similar issue who was told:

In the project's compiler options page there's a textbox for additional
compiler arguments.

Add:

-define=_MYTYPE=\"WindowsForms\"

Thanks again for the help. Are you referring to this page? That describes my exact problem, however I can't actually find any textbox to add additional compiler arguments. So I copied the compiler command line from monodev, pasted it into the console, and was greeted with an warning:

Warning : VBNC2009: the option define=_MYTYPE="WindowsForms" was not recognized - ignored

The app is running fine with MONO runtime. I think I may just leave it at that!

Good luck to you. I'll be looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours (when Pandora finally gets shipped!).

I've always been meaning to get around to trying out Mono, but never could get properly motivated. However, if Pandora can run mono apps (specifically VB.Net apps) then I'll definitely be giving it a go! Thanks for the heads up about the VMWare image stuff: I think I'll download it and give it a look.

BTW, has it been confirmed that Mono will be included with Pandora then? I know it's in the Angstrom packages, but will it be available for us to dev with. If so, then I'd definitely do some coding for Pandora.

Lobo said:
BTW, has it been confirmed that Mono will be included with Pandora then? I know it's in the Angstrom packages, but will it be available for us to dev with. If so, then I'd definitely do some coding for Pandora.

I don't know if it'll be included as default but it's available for ARM. Ideally I'd like to be able to compile apps natively, but if it comes down to it I'll just distribute the runtime with the APP.

If the worst comes to the worst, and it doesn't work then I'll just end up running the app on some WinCE device.

There are some limitations when using VB. Notably any COM / ActiveX plugins are not supported, which is a real shame!

Anyway you can find more information here.

Pleng said:
There are some limitations when using VB. Notably any COM / ActiveX plugins are not supported, which is a real shame!
Actually (and I'm not just being anti-Microsoft) I see this as a blessing. To each his own, I guess. ;)

javaJake said:
Pleng said:
Actually (and I'm not just being anti-Microsoft) I see this as a blessing. To each his own, I guess. ;)
How is that a blessing?

With ActiveX plugins, developers get access to (for example) simple-to-use audio/video recording & playback libraries.

Without ActiveX plugins, they don't.

I don't get how that is a blessing???

He has a point, you get used to restrictive technologies with terrible security that are only available on a certain OS with certain plugins installed.

There are much simpler ways to do audio/video recording & playback. AVbin comes to mind, although nothing gets close to Phonon.

Back