Monkey Island

coevin

ello all me again with probably another newbie stupid question but here goes. Ive got monkey island one running on scumm except for a few problems firstly it keeps coming up save failed when it tries to automatically save the game. Secondly the music runs for awhile then stops, i know te original never had music running all the way through. But i know for a fact the music never stopped in the pub as i used to love this music. Anyhelp would be great
cheers
coe

Get another Monkey version, some have a short game id (<8 car.), so the game save doesn't crash. :)

Or you still can hexedit your fxe... :rolleyes:

I cant really get another version took me long enough to get this one so how do u go about doing a hexedit sorry if i sound thick as pig sh*t.

Link doesn´t work for me...
But here´s a description of the Hack... (by Ph0x)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

greetings,

came up with a quick hack, which i will explain below, until i release another binnary.
so, the only games that suffer from that bug are those tha have longer game IDs than
8 letter, ie monkeyvga (monkey island 1).the savegame name is produced from the
game id, which results in too long filename for some of the games and saving does not work.

The Hack:
open scummvm.fxe (or whatever the filename is for the vesion you're using) in a hex editor,
and look for the game id of the game. for example to fix the problem in monkey island 1 look for:
monkeyvga
once found, set your editor in OVERWRITE mode (press Inc or so, it's up to your editor).
now ovewrite one of the characters of the gameid with a null character (0x0000). NOT '.' ' ' or '0' !! :)
It should be between the first and eight character. Example:
monkeyvga
^ overwrite with null character
The idea is - that way you're making the game id shorter so the resulting savegame filename will be valid. Get it?
Now you can call yourself hax0r

PS: Some notes:
- you don't need to do that for games which have shorter id's than 8 chars naturally
- you will usually not find the string (game id) twice (I tried that only on monkey island).
but in case it does appear twice, seek the one which has the full game name string near it.
- remember to overwrite, NOT insert a null-character since inserting it will change the filesize.

next version will be realeased (with this problem fixed as well after sound works perfectly.

regards,
ph0x
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

coevin > I think you don't have the last 0.3 version of GPScumm.

Take mine that is the last 0.3 version that has not this problem (the 0.3 is the best because every game is fast whereas the 0.5 is unplayable with some of them). :)

scumm03.fxe

Back