Monkey Island In Scumm

coevin

HI all this might be a stupid newbie question but is there anyway of getting past the protection in monkey island 1 or 2. Ive got the codes but no way to put them in. Anyone have any ideas thanks in advance
coe

The copy protection should (as far as i'm aware) be disabled in scummvm, if you need to enter any text, hold down the R button and push up to scroll through letters. If anyone else can elaborate on this, please do. :)

Cheers fade its working i had no idea u can type in scumm wooooo hoooooooo im in love with my gp :D

You don´t have to insert codes. Just insert anything (usually 0123) and it will work. The real problem is that you have to modify the emu to save the game properly. here´s the hack: (by Ph0x)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

greetings,

came up with a quick hack, which i will explain below, until i release another binnary.
so, the only games that suffer from that bug are those tha have longer game IDs than
8 letter, ie monkeyvga (monkey island 1).the savegame name is produced from the
game id, which results in too long filename for some of the games and saving does not work.

The Hack:
open scummvm.fxe (or whatever the filename is for the vesion you're using) in a hex editor,
and look for the game id of the game. for example to fix the problem in monkey island 1 look for:
monkeyvga
once found, set your editor in OVERWRITE mode (press Inc or so, it's up to your editor).
now ovewrite one of the characters of the gameid with a null character (0x0000). NOT '.' ' ' or '0' !! :)
It should be between the first and eight character. Example:
monkeyvga
^ overwrite with null character
The idea is - that way you're making the game id shorter so the resulting savegame filename will be valid. Get it?
Now you can call yourself hax0r

PS: Some notes:
- you don't need to do that for games which have shorter id's than 8 chars naturally
- you will usually not find the string (game id) twice (I tried that only on monkey island).
but in case it does appear twice, seek the one which has the full game name string near it.
- remember to overwrite, NOT insert a null-character since inserting it will change the filesize.

next version will be realeased (with this problem fixed as well after sound works perfectly.

regards,
ph0x
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also download an already modified version, but i have lost the link. ;) (maybe you ask Ph0x ?)
If you have no Hex editor i recommend SECK (savegame editor construction kit)

the latest version of gpscumm doesn't need the hack - the one that supports OGG speech. Check the website for a download....

btw, ph0x stopped coding it ages ago and djwillis has been working on it ever since

frolik has the cursor been speeded up in the latest version, I remember dloading a newer version a month or two ago and the cursor movement was very slow. DJwillis, you are a saint for continuing ph0x's work.

I alway thought it would be nice to have a cursor that sped up depending on how long the joystick was held in position that way it would speed up through the slower parts of games.

Having said that just being able to play the likes of Monkey Island 1 never ceases to amaze me. I'm playing Loom with full speech at the moment :)

frolik has the cursor been speeded up in the latest version, I remember dloading a newer version a month or two ago and the cursor movement was very slow. DJwillis, you are a saint for continuing ph0x's work.

afaik, the only way to get the pointer to go faster is by overclocking (or obtaining a copy of) the fxe.

Would be nice if there was a toggle button to speed up the pointer IMO, auto accelerating would probably just annoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see any reason why you couldn't just move 2 or 3 pixels instead of 1 in order to get the speed up. The pointer doesn't need to be pixel perfect.

Actually 156,166 & 180 versions would be nice for those that could handle them.

Maybe that nice Mr Willis could do us a couple of faster recompiles :)

the source code is availiable...Do it yourselves. And if you do, release whatever
improvements to the public and the author.

i always wondered... can you play mi3 on scummvm?

I think you can with the pc version, but not on the GP32. I also seem to remember reading DJ Willis saying that he wanted to optimise SCUMM for GP32 for 133Mhz. I haven't read anything from him in ages though, I hope hes still working on it, I'm sure he is. Does anyone else think that SCUMM should have its own section in the support forums?

would he be able to incorporate mi3? Its one of my favourite games...
no the game is far to big to fit on a 128mb card and the resolution is 640*480 and besides Sam 'n Max is slow enough already MI3 would be even worse....

Back