Money Money Money.

YeahRight

Still Fresh
OP asking for donations for supporting their forums? Money that tight huh...
Didn't craig saying he going to lease a Nissan Leaf?

Premium pandoras, dev fund, AV Cable, donations, US PCB assembly guys calls it quits. So any idea how much German assembly people going to cost? Whats next "Extra Extra Premium Pandoras"? is this how the Pandora will fade into oblivion.

Game over man, game over...

I don't agree with it at all either and I've already made that known on the other forum so i wont go into it again on this one.

I do expect things to change for the better when the German company gets going though and once that happens the community will hopefully get back on track :)

EDIT: Wow. It's been that long since I made a positive post about the project that I didn't even realise I'd done one :unsure:

Take out all the stuff-ups, hardware issues and waiting, waiting, waiting and I'd buy a Pandora in a shot.

But as it is, no way!

I still think the pandora can succeed if it gets a stable production. I don't think the increased price is an issue since smartphones have conditioned people to paying higher prices for mobile devices.

Why would OP be closing? ED has been working too hard to get production started in Germany to just let everything drop.

Here's what ED wrote in another forum

My current enemy is the EUR / USD conversion rate.
The USD was at a stable 1,44 EUR for the last months. With this rate, the Pandora would be pretty interesting for investors.
During the last 10 days it fell down to 1,36 EUR. As most parts are bought in USD, this increases the production costs about 50.000 EUR and therefore make less profit, making it less and less attractive for investors.

Let's do some math: The Euro rate falling 5.5% increases costs by 50 Euro. That makes the production cost of the Pandora at least 900 Euro. And this is only price for "most parts", it does not include actual production (done in Germany) and some parts. And the numbers from ED must be correct, since he just spent a long time compiling a comprehensive business plan.

aq21 said:

The USD was at a stable 1,44 EUR for the last months. With this rate, the Pandora would be pretty interesting for investors.
During the last 10 days it fell down to 1,36 EUR. As most parts are bought in USD, this increases the production costs about 50.000 EUR and therefore make less profit, making it less and less attractive for investors.

Let's do some math: The Euro rate falling 5.5% increases costs by 50 Euro. That makes the production cost of the Pandora at least 900 Euro. And this is only price for "most parts", it does not include actual production (done in Germany) and some parts. And the numbers from ED must be correct, since he just spent a long time compiling a comprehensive business plan.

I think you might have misunderstood what ED was saying. My understanding is that 50.000 EUR is the same as 50,000 EUR (for us that have funny money systems). I would then interpret the meaning behind the statement to be that total costs increase by 50k EUR which means that total profits would reduce by approx 50k EUR. Which, if you want to figure out the math, probably comes to about a 5.5% increase in production cost per Pandora.

LGR

Last edited by a moderator:
LGR said:
I think you might have misunderstood what ED was saying. My understanding is that 50.000 EUR is the same as 50,000 EUR (for us that have funny money systems). I would then interpret the meaning behind the statement to be that total costs increase by 50k EUR which means that total profits would reduce by approx 50k EUR. Which, if you want to figure out the math, probably comes to about a 5.5% increase in production cost per Pandora.

You are correct.
While production costs and most likely the EUR price will rise with the bad EUR conversion rate, it won't change the USD price at all, as USD-customers would have to pay less for higher EUR as well.

Last edited:
aq21 said:

You understand two things wrong:

1) The "50.000€" is not in fact fifty, but fifty thousand Euros. For the whole second batch. (Subsequently, the 900€ you claim to be the component price of one Pandora is in fact ninehundred thousand €, for the whole batch. Which includes 4000 (four thousand) Pandoras, so that would be 225€ (twohundredtwentyfive €) for each Pandora)*

2) Since the parts that do not need to be bought in Dollars, and the production in Germany are not affected by the Euro's value loss, they do not get more expensive. So that is actually a good thing.

To the topic of the discussion i have this to say:
OP has suffered revenue losses because they could not sell their product as planned due to the unsatisfactory supply of populated circuit boards. So they are in need of money to continue production. We know that because they told us so.

Everything clear now?

*So there is your math, with the numbers spelt out to avoid further misunderstanding.

YeahRight said:
Didn't craig saying he going to lease a Nissan Leaf?

I wondered about that too, since Craig has often said he's pretty much broke.. but he said that with government kickbacks it's almost free.

Sigh. I would have loved to add one of these to my collection myself, but I refuse to go to ebay for it, and cannot wait years on a waiting list (as I have with some other projects that will go nameless atm). If ordering one were as easy as well, ordering and having it shipped like I did with the Caanoo, I'd be right there. But from the looks of it, it does appear that this is not going much of anywhere until it can be had a lot easier than it has been. I hate to look at the cup as half empty, but I personally think it will not make it and I'll never be able to get one sadly. I hope this does not happen and I'll hang on to that glimmer of hope, but the truth of life looms.

zektor said:
Sigh. I would have loved to add one of these to my collection myself, but I refuse to go to ebay for it, and cannot wait years on a waiting list (as I have with some other projects that will go nameless atm). If ordering one were as easy as well, ordering and having it shipped like I did with the Caanoo, I'd be right there. But from the looks of it, it does appear that this is not going much of anywhere until it can be had a lot easier than it has been. I hate to look at the cup as half empty, but I personally think it will not make it and I'll never be able to get one sadly. I hope this does not happen and I'll hang on to that glimmer of hope, but the truth of life looms.
you can get one right now if you want : http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/5526-pandora-7-day-available-again/

Also, once everything is properly setup, Pandoras should be available from stock January / February 2012.

EvilDragon said:
Also, once everything is properly setup, Pandoras should be available from stock January / February 2012.

Please let this be true! I could use a birthday present for myself :D

Alerino said:
No, tm^2 is when "in two months you be informed when two months starts"

EvilDragon said:

But people who paid you for them over 3 years ago (three and a half years, by that time) will still be waiting.

Very honest.

Back