Mocca 0.1

I can do some skinning as well. BTW, RiX0R, if you made a skin that went along with the style of the main menu (the nice chocalatey color) I think it would look really good.

Update: Mocca 0.2 has been released!

shot-20060122.225643.jpg

Major improvements:
  • Improved reliability: no longer crashes when required images are missing.
  • Black Screen of Death Protection: Even if a game you launch doesn't start or crashes, your GP2X will not be stuck at a black screen, but instead return to Mocca with an error report.
  • Added support for file icons, including GPH-style app icons
  • Added scheme for SquidgeSNES (working) and GNUBoy (K-Teto said he would re-add command-line support in the next version (0.6)).
Modified controls:
  • L+R used to quit, but if Mocca replaced the standard shell, this would simply dump you right back into Mocca itself. L+R now always provides a shortcut to GPH's menu.
There's no animation support yet, because I wanted to go for increased reliability first. Improved eyecandy support is scheduled for the next version.

Practical stuff:

Mocca still available in the file archive, look for the 0.2 version tag, it may take a while to update.

You can leave bug reports or feature requests at Mocca's GP2XForge site.

i've actually been working on skin stuff for mocca as well. but i'm having trouble deciding how to differentiate between nes and snes, and in general just coming up with theme ideas. here's what i'd been kicking around...

mocca.png

from left to right: either snes or nes, gameboy, and who knows (probably not an icon as it doesn't look good small)...maybe it can be used where the current picture of an nes is now. i still have to draw the vents though.

Wow! Those look awesome! Every single one of 'em!

To all interested skinners:

If too many more icons are added, I think the screen will become too full and awkward to use. That's why I want to switch to a different layout. Here's a mock-up of what I'm aiming for:

shot-20060124.193311.jpg

Basically, similar icons will be grouped into ribbons. Navigation through the ribbons will go something like the way you enter your name in Wario Ware (Gamecube).

I think this new method will allow for nearly endless extension while still remaining as intuitive and requiring as few keystrokes as possible. Icon sizes may need to go down a bit. 64x64 is a bit much, and I think looks too intimidating if the screen is full of them.

What do you think of the idea, and what would you like to be able to change? (I'm aiming for everything, but I may forget some things...)

Let me know!

what about a 'main menu' where sub-icons are hidden, like

emulators
native apps
documents
utils

which you'd scroll down & up and then press right to get

emulators > nes > snes > gameboy > pcengine
native apps
documents
utils

then when you click the joystick you get the list of files/roms/whatever (on a new, clear screen or even something nifty like transparent over the previous screen which is now frozen, my point is, it's a new list like you currently have), which you again scroll up/down, and a left gets you back to the main menu.

i'm was thinking something very tivo-ish in case it's not obvious. the tivo menus are fun and addictive. *foop* *ping* *eep eep* *foop*

Back