Mobile Firefox

goonaman

Still Fresh
I've just got my Nokia N900 and am impressed with how powerful it is, which shows good signs for what we can do with the Pandora. I've downloaded mobile Firefox RC2 which runs really well and was thinking that as it is fairly close to release would it be able to be included in the Pandora firmware? It shouldn't be too difficult to port and it could run better than the full Firefox. Earlier versions were a bit slow but it's definitely useable now

in other words, the pandora should be able to run firefox if you wish, mobile or standard.

but midori will be included by default, just a matter of removing it and replacing it with firefox which should be trivial.

dflemstr said:
The Pandora will use Midori as the default browser IIRC, and it's much faster than Firefox in every way. 'Nuff said.
Never heard of "Midori". ^^"
Wiki says it is fast but is Midori also compatible? In the way to display websites with java(script) and Flash content like nearly EVERY Website today requires?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh shit we forgot about JavaScript

>_>

I'm going to try Arora on mine.
Also, Flash content won't be working on the Pandora anyway (not by default) because Adobe are dicks. We've discussed this repeatedly.

I just downloaded the midori source, installed the development dependencies, and it works REALLY fast... Only issue with it is that the location bar is locked and I can't type in it -.-

it starts off at google so I was able to navigate around. Flash support was instant, I didn't do anything to make it work, it just did.

However, GP32X wasn't loading up on it..

Uh....Any chance of getting Skyfire ported? It´s growing popular in ARM platforms due to its full (and somewhat buggy) embebbed Flash 10.1 support as well as popular multimedia plugins (Quicktime, Windows Media...).

It reached beta status recently and it´s free (no idea about its open-sourceness but there is no harm in asking the developers :) )

Laurencevde said:
That browser renders the pages on skyfire's servers, sending images to the device, is for WM and symbian, and is closed-source. Still want it?

Well, it´s enough...After the "Skyfire dedicated servers" part I stopped reading :p

DaMummy said:
how can i install internet explorer on my pandora? :|
Isn't there an open-source implementation of IE for WINE? We might be able to re-compile it just as a joke.
Or just get like Firefox 1.5 and add some rendering bugs, that annoying-ass 'click' sound, and some new artwork.

hosant said:
You can have IE on windows ce if you wanna...

Vantage "Internet Explorer for Windows CE" emulation. I can't wait!
The worst web browser in the world... now available on your Pandora.

Yeah. There are some browsers out there...
The ones for the DS for example (though they are great considering the system's limitations) are generally god-awful.
The DS-Organise browser (which was the most popular until Bunjallo began to be updated again) would crash every couple of webpages, necessitating a full reboot of the system.

Praise be to Pandora, the first handheld system I'm going to own that can actually browse the internet properly!

peca said:
I can confirm this. I get this info directly from ED via PM. I hope that this isn't secret :)

It isn't, I've known about it for a few weeks now, but I didn't realize how FAST midori actually is until I tried it myself..

Back