.mkv files with Mplayer?

levi1123

Topic says all. Friend of mine passed along a few files, playing them on laptop with VLC is fine. Pandora with Mplayer stutters with a few seconds of audio and refuses to show any video, then stops. How can i install the proper codec, or can i use VLC on the Pandora? Any input guys?

Topic says all. Friend of mine passed along a few files, playing them on laptop with VLC is fine. Pandora with Mplayer stutters with a few seconds of audio and refuses to show any video, then stops. How can i install the proper codec, or can i use VLC on the Pandora? Any input guys?
Post the output from mplayer, including any error messages.

Ah got it. Dimensions are too big for Mplayer. Lol... I feel stupid now. ( goes to SUPER for some converting )

In my testing, I was able to get videos larger than the screen to display by simply making it full screen: mplayer scales down as well as up. It's in the view menu, or I think you can hit ctrl-F.

In my testing, I was able to get videos larger than the screen to display by simply making it full screen: mplayer scales down as well as up. It's in the view menu, or I think you can hit ctrl-F.

Huh... really? Mplayers terminal output on my end pretty blatantly states:

panda.jpg

That's an issue with the xv output (default)

Try adding one of the following command line arguments and see if it works

-xy 2 (scale down by a factor of two, ie half size)

-vo x11 (render to an x11 window, may not work, or may not display without the above -xy option)

-vo sdl (use SDL to render, hit ctrl-f to go full screen)

playing with x11 and SDL get audio and a black screen. No video whatsoever. Using xy 2 still wont play at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the black screen is what you get when it tries to render the video to something larger than the screen, which is what I thought you were talking about originally. The -xy 2 should be displaying it half size which should make it fit, and ctrl-f should scale it down to full screen: both should allow it to play. Interesting that it isn't. I'll try to find a similarly large video file and try myself.

edit: and forgot to answer your original question, but you can also use vlc.

For now you need to start it and load the file manually, you can't make vlc the default player yet like it is with mplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: and forgot to answer your original question, but you can also use vlc.

For now you need to start it and load the file manually, you can't make vlc the default player yet like it is with mplayer.
I'm guessing mplayer isn't build with swscale support (I had to build it for vlc), so there is hope the vlc display the file (and if read well between the line you know there is a difference between running ther video and displaing it :D )

I'm guessing mplayer isn't build with swscale support (I had to build it for vlc), so there is hope the vlc display the file (and if read well between the line you know there is a difference between running ther video and displaing it :D )

I have tried VLC built by you already, same results as posted.

by using "-vo x11" I was able to get a larger than the screen video to play in a window (-xy 0.5) and full screen (press "f" (ctrl-f is for Gnome mplayer)

also the framebuffer video modes, but those are not very useful. SDL was also just black.

Back