Mission Failed

RZZ

Still Fresh
This is my first game, an old-style 2D shoot'em up.

8y9v92.jpg

DOWNLOAD:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,692

Sprites, musics and sounds are ripped from various games such as R-type, Gradius, Axelay...
Sprites are taken from http://www.spriters-resource.com
In particular I used sprites ripped by:

- Zephiel87
- SmithyGCN
- Arima
- Deathbringer
- Random Talking Bush
- Sephis
- AzRaezel
- JudgeSpear
- Magma Dragoon
- Ragey

Primary fire has infinite ammo.
3 types of secondary fire
- Vulcan: fast but weak
- Cannon: slow but powerful
- Bombs: Very powerful, use them to hit ground enemies

Destroy a colplete wave of enemyes to obtain more ammo.

hope you like it, let me know what you think about !

Just downloaded this and had a quick game and its great :D the animations (i realise you got the sprites from http://www.spriters-resource.com but you choose well) sound fx and gameplay

well done mate :)

now to see if i can last for more than 2 minutes :D

Tomlad said:
Just downloaded this and had a quick game and its great :D the animations (i realise you got the sprites from http://www.spriters-resource.com but you choose well) sound fx and gameplay

well done mate :)

now to see if i can last for more than 2 minutes :D

thanks !
if you think the game in hard remember you can increase lives number in "options" menu, and choose carefully secondary weapon

Last edited by a moderator:
got to play a little yesterday (dusted my caanoo off for deving) - it plays and looks great. cool game you've put together here. it's a bit hard, even with 10 lives ;)

what would help a little, maybe some invincible time after respawning from a kill?

thanks !

maybe in 1.1 version i can destroy all enemies on screen after been killed, or at least make them stop shooting for a while

RZZ said:
thanks !

maybe in 1.1 version i can destroy all enemies on screen after been killed, or at least make them stop shooting for a while

that's a good idea :)

maybe, just well, i hate suggestions by myself, but i can withstand ... 4 buttons on the caanoo, 4 weapons, how about assigning each weapon a button so that you dont need to switch using the shoulder buttons?

1.1 version aviable:

- Bonus added: get "Perfect" score and you can have infinite ammo and a new laser weapon.
- Added "Smartbomb": destroys everything on the screen !
- Each button is used to shoot a different weapon.
- The game is a little easier. :rolleyes:

thanks to zip who helped me

Hi,

Got past the first level training on the second now, I love this game it is brilliantly made!

A couple of things that would make it better for me though:

1) Game remembers how many lives you selected so you dont have to keep doing it.
2) Game remembers which levels you have completed so for example after completing level one you get the choice to play level 2 in a new game (it takes a long time to complete a level!)
3) All features unlock when you complete the game.
4) More weapons? interchangeable weapons (weapons rock!)
4) More levels! I am dreading when I finish this game as I like the retro aspect spotting things like gundam references etc. I think a new level pack would be well recieved.

Fnally thanks again for this excellent game, I play it more than anything else on Caanoo atm

many thanks sbpaabck !

I did not want to do more updates, but since I found at least one person excited about the game, I will make a few changes:

1 - all options will be saved (lives, offset, etc...).

2 - The idea to choose the level, once completed, is good and will implement it.

3 - Features are unlocked reaching the prefect rank, but I could invent something to add once the game is completed.

4 - There are 4 weapons, more of them will not add anything to gameplay, only increase the confusion

5 - I have some ideas for another level, but do not have time ...

- I will add a little tutorial in level 1 to learn when to use a certain weapon

do you think the amount of bullets given is ok?

thanks again for your advices ;)

RZZ said:
many thanks sbpaabck !

I did not want to do more updates, but since I found at least one person excited about the game, I will make a few changes:

1 - all options will be saved (lives, offset, etc...).

2 - The idea to choose the level, once completed, is good and will implement it.

3 - Features are unlocked reaching the prefect rank, but I could invent something to add once the game is completed.

4 - There are 4 weapons, more of them will not add anything to gameplay, only increase the confusion

5 - I have some ideas for another level, but do not have time ...

- I will add a little tutorial in level 1 to learn when to use a certain weapon

do you think the amount of bullets given is ok?

thanks again for your advices ;)

COOOOOOL :)

Thanks RZZ you are a true gentleman! Thanks for listening to my ideas!!

You definately have excellent skills when it comes to level design and implementation so don't give up! The game is so Retro I love it, I think more people need to discover the game!

The number of bullets is ok so far although I am still playing level 2 so maybe I will run out later. I save vukcan cannon by mashing the fire button very quickly on normal cannon so I get more shots out and more firepower. I think if people did not realise this trick then they will definately run our of vulcan early unless they are careful with it.

When going for the perfect score it becomes a bit more of an issue!

regarding no 3: something to add when the game is completed - this sounds good :)

regarding no 4: Maybe make the game opensource like opentyrian?

Thanks again RZZ :)