Minimum Viable Computer - 15$ pocket Linux device

SAS

This is a ‘Linux Swiss Army Knife’, offering maximum utility while still being able to fit in your pocket. Is it fast? No. Can it run a GUI? Also no. But it can run scripts, ping a server, toggle a few GPIOs, and interact with a USB device. This is a minimum viable computer that can:

• Run Linux. Just command line.
  • Has a keyboard. No touchscreen display.
  • Has a USB port. To connect to other things.
  • Some sort of battery power, I guess.

That’s about it. Could you do all of this with a smartphone? Yeah, kinda, if you root prepaid Android phone, but even that would cost more than $30. I know I can build something cheaper.

Given the list of requirements, I know I need some sort of SoC, perferrably as cheap as possible. I need a keyboard of some sort, preferrably as cheap as possible. I need a screen, some sort of battery system, and some sort of storage. All preferrably as cheap as possible. I think I’ve cracked this problem, and I’ve come up with a computer that runs Linux and costs about $15 USD.

Back.png

Wish it had bluetooth / wi-fi. Still - sounds like an intriguing device - if / when happens ....

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
It may be slightly tricky to run DOOM on this one.

Edit: Never mind, just read the article. It already DOOMs. Nice.

Last edited:

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
The only thing that is missing here is a headphone port. I mean sure, I have a way to take USB A port and give me headphones, since my inbuilt audio circuit broke, but to plug that in would mean removing my wifi USB stick. I could use a USB hub most likely, but so far I've been able to avoid using them in anger.

netcat

sexy!! those buttons remind me of an old calculator. I want to touch it but don't what else i'd do with it besides maybe diagnose my network.

Confuzzled

Very Active Member
The only thing that is missing here is a headphone port. I mean sure, I have a way to take USB A port and give me headphones, since my inbuilt audio circuit broke, but to plug that in would mean removing my wifi USB stick. I could use a USB hub most likely, but so far I've been able to avoid using them in anger.
I agree. A headphone socket would be great, as it looks like a potentially nice platform to run RockBox on.

I know EvilDragon doesn't need more headaches, but one of the things I though he might like to consider in his spare time* was producing a RockBox player.

*this is a joke.

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
And in 20 Years, this Pyrapod would get used for a Video on Youtube ^^, Dankpods or how the Chanel was called ^^,

This Linux Device looks interesting but its lacks a bit a Screen Saver like whe have on the Pyra..

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
Makes me think of the C.H.I.P. $9 computer. It didn't come with a keyboard though :)
The Pocket CHIP did have a keyboard available (with a novel stand that used a pencil), but the keyboard was truly horrible! I liked what they did aside from that though, was a fun little gadget.