Zaurus SL-3200 replacement

ckblackm

Very Active Member
I tried to get an answer to this on pandorapress.net but they closed the comments, so I'll try here:

I’m intending the Pandora to be a replacement for my Zaurus SL-3200 w/ pdaXrom. (ie. a really small linux computer with a keyboard and wifi).

I’ve heard people mention about how something maybe faster or whatnot… but is there something better than the Pandora to replace my Zaurus?

Couple of notes:

* I want this to be in a single device (ie. I don't want a tablet and an external keyboard)

* I'm not interested in this being a phone.

* Netbooks are bigger than what I'm looking for.

thanks,

Christopher.

The Pandora is indeed a small (Nintendo DS-sized) Linux computer with a keyboard and WiFi, and whilst I've heard of the Zaurus line, I'm not at all familiar with "pdaXrom". What features in particular are you after?

I use my Pandora for some computing tasks, in addition to gaming ones, and there are others who do more computing than gaming with it, so with any luck you should be able to get an answer here.

The Pandora is indeed a small (Nintendo DS-sized) Linux computer with a keyboard and WiFi, and whilst I've heard of the Zaurus line, I'm not at all familiar with "pdaXrom". What features in particular are you after?

I use my Pandora for some computing tasks, in addition to gaming ones, and there are others who do more computing than gaming with it, so with any luck you should be able to get an answer here.

The Pandora looks like it'll be perfect (pdaXrom basically brings an X window interface to the arm architecture). It's like having a netbook on something the size of the DS.

I've just heard some folks saying that there are other devices that may or may not "beat" the Pandora, and I was just curious as to what those might be. I ordered my

Pandora a couple of years ago (I think I'm around 1400 in craig's queue or something like that)... so my question is just curiosity more than anything else.

thanks,

Christopher.

The Pandora looks like it'll be perfect (pdaXrom basically brings an X window interface to the arm architecture). It's like having a netbook on something the size of the DS.
Ahh, so that's what it does. We have X by default (I managed to break it once, but it was easy to reverse what I did :lol: ).

I've just heard some folks saying that there are other devices that may or may not "beat" the Pandora, and I was just curious as to what those might be. I ordered my

Pandora a couple of years ago (I think I'm around 1400 in craig's queue or something like that)... so my question is just curiosity more than anything else.
I've got to be honest, I'm genuinely curious about that myself. Unless I've missed something more recently, all that really ever seems to get suggested in the role of such a device is usually something completely different, like a netbook, a tablet, or a mobile telephone, and whatever gets suggested usually seems to lack one of more of the hardware features that makes the Pandora as appealing as it is to some of us. (As far as tiny computers go, there is the Ben Nanonote, but it doesn't have gaming controls as far as I remember. If I didn't have a Pandora, I probably would give that a look for the writing and whatnot that I use my Pandora for.)

I tried to get an answer to this on pandorapress.net but they closed the comments, so I'll try here:

I’m intending the Pandora to be a replacement for my Zaurus SL-3200 w/ pdaXrom. (ie. a really small linux computer with a keyboard and wifi).

I’ve heard people mention about how something maybe faster or whatnot… but is there something better than the Pandora to replace my Zaurus?

Couple of notes:

* I want this to be in a single device (ie. I don't want a tablet and an external keyboard)

* I'm not interested in this being a phone.

* Netbooks are bigger than what I'm looking for.

Hi Christopher,

I don't think there is anything better than the Pandora, surely not at the price point and the community behind it. I have the Zaurus SL-C3000 with OpenBSD on it, but haven't used it for a long time. I am looking forward to a much faster processor, better screen resolution, more RAM, and large SDHC capacities. And on top of the keyboard, you also get the gaming controls.

With the power of the Pandora, you'll have a wide range of possibilities with respect to X window managers and applications. For me the Pandora is the logical "step up" from the Zaurus.

/grydholt

Back