Minimum impedance of 3,5 mm headphone jack?

xyta

Hi,

I'd like to know waht the minimum impedance of the headphone jack of the Pandora is.

For example, would it be possible to connect 5 pairs of Sennheiser MX 580 (16 Ohms each) via a Belkin 5-way splitter to the Pandora?

http://www.htcdepot.com/belkin-5-way-headphone-splitter-35mm/A11A3925.htm

Does a parallel operation of several headphones only affect the quality of the sound or could it even demage the headphone amp of the Pandora?

Well, with 5 x 16 Ohms in parallel you would get 3.2 Ohms...

From what I know about amplifiers, this could drive the amplifiermodule in the Pandora pretty hot...

But not sure either, if it will survive or not.

Edit: Maybe they wire some of the connectors in parallel and some in series to get back to the normal impendance, but there is no datasheet to confirm that.

This would be a tradeoff with overall loudness though.

If it was designed to work with a mobile phone and most mp3players I bet it won't kill your Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
The amp has quite a lot of power, it is actually an external amp (and really not a cheap one) while by far the most mobile devices use an integrated one. It is able to power some of the most demanding headphones out there from what I've heard, but 5 pairs is really quite some demanding setup...

Back