MiniMenu Refuses to start.

SpykeXD

Still Fresh
I've had my Pandora for a good two years now and this is the first time I've had this issue. Every time I try to access the MiniMenu, it crashes, restarts, and then loops over and over again with no way to stop it other than rebooting the Pandora. Evil Dragon in another thread said to do this:

"Run sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_switchgui.sh from terminal, then you can see any output what goes wrong".

I did that and got this error: "Failed to receive a reply from the session manager, the name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files".

Tried another trick to open the MiniMenu through the Terminal and it started restarting over and over again, and I noticed the terminal said that something was causing a fatal error and needing a reboot. Nothing on the SD cards is causing the problem because launching the MiniMenu without any SD cards in the device still causes the problem.

I'm thinking that maybe the problem has to do with when I tried to use the PNDManager to update something and it got stuck and I tried to forcequit out of the app, because that's when the problem started happening. Unfortunately I've got lots of apps on the SD card and I have no idea which one could be causing the problem.

Any advice on what to do? I'd like to be able to use the MiniMenu again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably a custom theme you tried installing, remove any theme you have on your SD card and it should work again.

Nothing on the SD cards is causing the problem because launching the MiniMenu without any SD cards in the device still causes the problem.
+

I'm thinking that maybe the problem has to do with when I tried to use the PNDManager to update something and it got stuck and I tried to forcequit out of the app, because that's when the problem started happening.

It's probably a custom theme you tried installing, remove any theme you have on your SD card and it should work again.
= ?

As far as I know PNDManager only updates pnd files so themes can't be an option here as they are not distributed via the repo, but it can' hurt to know wether SpykeXD is using a theme (at all).

A quick google search points toward an xfce or more likely a displaymanager problem > @everyone except the threadstarter: which dm is used on the Pandora ?

It can't be a theme because I've never been able to get a theme working, but I'll double-check just to be sure.

Minimenu has a couple of crashes. I tried to fix some (though not the theme related ones, since I don't care for themeing). You may want to try the test version attached to http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14449-proposal-recovery-menu-for-minimenu-aka-breaking-the-crash-loop/ It also has a fallback to recover from the crash loop (though skeezix would like a different approach and I have been to lazy to implement it).
Thank you so much for linking that, using the attachment allowed me to access MiniMenu and reset it to default settings. Dunno what caused the crash loop but resetting MiniMenu's configuration seems to have fixed it.

Glad that it helped! In my experience most startup crases come from the 'remember last' (or whatever it's called) setting. Minimenu is unhappy when the remembered PND cannot be found in the remembered category (at least I think that was the reason, it's been a while).

Gads .. thought we'd trapped most bugs long ago :)

I wonder if mmenu or something like that is going onward for Pyra, or on its last legs? (Certainly, it was written in a _huge rush_, over what, less than  a week, due to complicated history between craig and folks). So if we want somethign like mmenu for Pyra, it shoudl be something mnot written in such a rush :)

(I mean, it'd be easy to build mmenu as is for Pyra, so shoudl certainly be made available. And I think the pnd stuff will be brought over to Pyra for compatibility, maybe, to some extent. But its certainly not going to be the focus, since Pyra will have its own much larger internal storage pool and essentially work much more like a typical linux instalation than the Pandora could.)

Theres some very good menu choices on Pandora, that will run much better on Pyra due to the increased performance, though ..

I could put some time in to clean up and improve minimenu, but I always rather figured it woudl be sunset :)

jeff

IMO it would be nice to have Minimenu on the Pyra. Even if the PND system is replaced, the .desktop file based mode should still mostly work out of the box (if the .desktop files have the neccessary fields).

Back