minecraft

Since the grave has already been dug this seems as good a time as any to ask... Has anyone has looked into compiling the GLES lwjgl for pandora to see if it may actually be possible to get minecraft running?

- Neelix

not having tried it - but the GLES lwjgl exposes a completely different API than the "normal" lwjgl - so just replacing lwjgl will not work, you might need to create a wrapper for the calls minecraft uses.

not having tried it - but the GLES lwjgl exposes a completely different API than the "normal" lwjgl - so just replacing lwjgl will not work, you might need to create a wrapper for the calls minecraft uses.
ahhh... I was afraid it wouldn't be quite that simple.. :mellow:

- Neelix

I doubt the non-pocket edition would be able to run on the Pandora anyway (resource wise).

Minecraft can run on Pandora maybe not mods but Minecraft uses 512MB and Pandoras have 512MB so someone could make a "All Memory to Games" mod thing and it could run with 490-510MB. So yes it can.

Minecraft can run on Pandora maybe not mods but Minecraft uses 512MB and Pandoras have 512MB so someone could make a "All Memory to Games" mod thing and it could run with 490-510MB. So yes it can.
Memory is not the only bottleneck.

So you're wiling to completly rewrite the java library used to draw in 3d to support GLES cool !

sorry to grave dig a bit, googling for "minecraft (open) pandora" still links people to this (somewhat useless) thread

I figured I'd point people to a more realistic expectation :D

and a shameless plug :lol:

theeheeheehee

beta_block_quest.jpg

download link from compo: http://www.openpandora.org/rebirth/bbq.pnd

For a comparison of how much java/Notch's coding sucks: there's even a well-functioning Minecraft-clone for the NDS...

But even while those clones run a whole lot better, I still want the real Minecraft as you can't play on minecraft-servers with anything else...

Minecraft has become a whole lot less memory-consuming during the last few patches. It now rarely goes over 200MB, whereas I've seen it running out of its GB-allocation in earlier versions. So, apart from not having OpenGL, it is at least runnable...

It's still far too slow though: I've got a athlon64 X2 4400+, and it's currently eating 70+ of both cores running at 1.8Ghz.

Furthermore, its renderer is quite taxing. I've got a GF 8600+, currently using nouveau-drivers, and I've got 15-30FPS, no matter what settings I use. The nvidia-driver was a bit better though.

There are, however, several mods around that make Minecraft less heavy, such as Optifine, But I doubt those can make MC playable on the Pandora...

Yeah, guess we'll have no choice but to play clones...

Yeah, Minecraft could run so much better without JAVA - I just say so, pure gut feeling. I've played some JAVA based Games on PC and they never performed great in any way. However, Mojang squeezed out of it as much as was possible I guess, Minecraft runs fine on my PC (ok, I have a Quad Core with GTX460 gfx card but it also run on low detail settings with an antique 256Mb ATI gfx card) and since I use 64Bit JAVA, it doesn't had crashed once.

Yeah, Minecraft could run so much better without JAVA - I just say so, pure gut feeling. I've played some JAVA based Games on PC and they never performed great in any way. However, Mojang squeezed out of it as much as was possible I guess, Minecraft runs fine on my PC (ok, I have a Quad Core with GTX460 gfx card but it also run on low detail settings with an antique 256Mb ATI gfx card) and since I use 64Bit JAVA, it doesn't had crashed once.

Heh. I have a core i5 @2.8GHz here with 3GB RAM and minecraft struggles to get more than 12FPS.

D.

For a comparison of how much java/Notch's coding sucks: there's even a well-functioning Minecraft-clone for the NDS...

I wouldn't say his code sucks, it works, he targeted beefy PCs and made a game that is a lot of fun to play with friends.

But even while those clones run a whole lot better, I still want the real Minecraft as you can't play on minecraft-servers with anything else...

online gameplay with minecraft servers needs over 20KB/sec, I'm not sure the wifi will be reliable enough to support this much bandwidth steadily.

and you can forget using a cell phone connection with a usb-dongle if you don't have unlimited uncapped internet and a great signal.

Minecraft has become a whole lot less memory-consuming during the last few patches. It now rarely goes over 200MB,

make sure you DON'T check the memory consumption using Minecraft's own debug screen ( F3 )

you need to look at the real Java process's memory space either in Windows Task Manager, or run "top" in a shell on Linux or OSX.

there's a big difference.

It's still far too slow though: I've got a athlon64 X2 4400+, and it's currently eating 70+ of both cores running at 1.8Ghz.

Furthermore, its renderer is quite taxing. I've got a GF 8600+, currently using nouveau-drivers, and I've got 15-30FPS [...]

Yeah, guess we'll have no choice but to play clones...

yup.

ARM Cortex-A8 720Mhz single core, 256MB RAM, PowerVR SGX530 110 MHz.

30-40 FPS:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0cUgpgmpvg?feature=oembed
B)

(still a work in progress)

Seriously, I'm questioning what the heck is wrong with your systems. I've only got an "old" 2.4Ghz machine with a GeForce GT 220 and I'm getting a fairly solid 120FPS. Sometimes it falls to 90FPS. Everything is maxed out. I'm currently running around in the middle of a rain storm through a forest being chased by zombies. I hit F2 to save a screen shot and it falls to 50FPS, and then jumps back up again. What is so special about my computer that makes it able to run Minecraft 8 to 10 times better? It boggles my mind.

and it's not all about graphic, you can't judge that a clone is better cause it got higher fps with the same kind of graphics...

/stare at dwarf fortress...

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember reading about someone rewriting minecraft in C a few months ago... It's pretty much a clone and is SP only, but I bet multiplayer is coming soon. How hard could it be to port that?

I wonder whether we'll be able to somehow use the raspberry-pi version...

Back