Anaglyph games?

MrDowntempo

Still Fresh
I just bought some anaglyph glasses (the red/blue ones) off of amazon to try out the 3D mode in Minecraft. It works surprisingly well! Boy, I hope we can get Minecraft running on the pandora eventually, but, anywho, are there any other games that already run on the pandora and support a 3D anaglyph mode? That would be so sweet.

If we had source for the graphics driver, we could simply hack in an anaglyph mode and anything that used 3D could be shaded red/blue. But we don't.

And no, nothing that I'm aware of has such a feature yet.

I read on gizmag I think it was that 3D is actually bad for your eyes and possible dangerous for kids to use, could cause permanent damage. I think I'll hold off on 3D for the time being.

If we had source for the graphics driver, we could simply hack in an anaglyph mode and anything that used 3D could be shaded red/blue. But we don't.

And no, nothing that I'm aware of has such a feature yet.
It doesn't need to be in the driver code. And even if you don't know anaglyph feature does indeed exist and should work sometime in the futur on the pandora.

Beside IOquake 3, darkplace does support this too. There is ongoing developpement to add this fature to ogre and irrlicht at least...

Blood Frontier (Cube 2 engine) was going for anaglyph features, the project is dead though. I have no idea if the feature is somehow available for Sauerbraten.

I read on gizmag I think it was that 3D is actually bad for your eyes and possible dangerous for kids to use, could cause permanent damage. I think I'll hold off on 3D for the time being.
Hmm, I think that comes from Nintendo lawyers covering their backs doesn't it? I don't see how 3d screens would be any worse to anyone's eyes than conventional screens. Mind you, my eyes have been permanently damaged by books and gameboy screens, so we could both be right ;)

It doesn't need to be in the driver code.
I didn't say it needed to be. I meant that if we had the driver source, it could be put in such that ANY game that used 3D could automatically be given an anaglyph mode whether the game originally supported it or not. Without, we need more complex solutions like wrappers, or need to code individual applications to do it one by one.

I am another 3D nerd that loves that shit. I'm working on an advanced "ant farm" project right now for my panda (when it arrives in two months ;) ). I want to make it a stand-alone with minimal interaction and also a music player plugin with events and attitudes reacting to the music being played. A must for me (and a learning process) is to make it 3D, so if a wrapper comes out to where all I have to do is program it in 3D space that would help out alot. Again though I want to learn to implement it myself, so either or. This is definitely something I also have been watching for.

Hmm, I think that comes from Nintendo lawyers covering their backs doesn't it? I don't see how 3d screens would be any worse to anyone's eyes than conventional screens. Mind you, my eyes have been permanently damaged by books and gameboy screens, so we could both be right ;)
I think I'll still hold off on all these 3D systems and 3D HDTVs. I think it was mainly prolonged use of 3D that is bad, one or two movies a week is ok. Video games that are played for hours at a time and 3D TV is another story.

Back