minecraft

apparently he has a pandora, there's a fwe discussions on the other forum about this already

don't get your hopes up though, seems it's written in java and is extremely heavy on the system (due to the java-ness of course)

It uses the OpenGL Java classes. I don't know if there's an OpenGLES version of those classes that could simply fit in as replacements or if Minecraft would have to be rewritten, but either way it would not be a trivial thing to accomplish.

I've managed to get minecraft launched and logged in, but it just stops on a black screen once it's updated itself. Still working on getting OpenGL to work properly, might have to do a bit of hackery to get it working properly.

Just found out about minecraft a week ago, it would be really nice to have this on the Pandora.

Minecraft uses LWJGL to handle all the 3D rendering. From their FAQ...

Q: Will LWJGL support OpenGL ES
A: OpenGL ES is basically a subset of OpenGL, and we will make the best efforts to get LWJGL running on a device. However we have yet to get our hands on one :( .

So it could be possible, but I think Notch (the developer) is busy enough getting it into beta at the moment.

I would love a minecraft client for Pandora, I'm not sure how long I'm going to be in love with the game but right now I would spend every spare minute working on a building. I'd probably host a server from home and get friends to join.

No, I'm not going to stop dreaming, sorry :)

While I'm not a programmer by any means, I understand several custom clients have been created already, somewhat to the chagrin of the game's author. The map spec is pretty open, and I'd think Markus would be happy to help; I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a Pandora client in the works if any of the devs get interested in the game :p

I'm sure the 'heaviness' of the game is due to Java. A native client with low draw distance which would suit a small screen... hell, it could be modified to have a purely isometric view, rotatable by 90 degrees at a time...

Java on the pandora will run minecraft(when they get openGL working) but it won't be easy playing at 1fps. A custom client will have to be used but i bet there will be something that could be compiled for the pandora if there is anything. and i too will never stop dreaming :)

Minecraft, how I hate to love thee.

Seriously, as a Java programmer, it baffles me that people would ever use it for games. It's a perfect language for a nice multi-platform GUI, but it's just too slow to even want to use for a game.

Minecraft, how I hate to love thee.

Seriously, as a Java programmer, it baffles me that people would ever use it for games. It's a perfect language for a nice multi-platform GUI, but it's just too slow to even want to use for a game.

Since you are a java programmer maybe you can answer this; Would a client compiled specifically for pandora be able to run well on the pandora, or is the game just too complex? For example it uses 300-600megs of ram on my pc, the pandora only has 256megs.

For example it uses 300-600megs of ram on my pc, the pandora only has 256megs.

most probably because it's java

i also have no idea why you would choose java, apart form the cross-platform ness of it, minecraft could do so much more if it was simply written in a faster language

i also have no idea why you would choose java, apart form the cross-platform ness of it, minecraft could do so much more if it was simply written in a faster language
It doesn't need to do much more though. On a modern desktop it runs great! With plenty of room to spare, I would add. Even older desktops should have little problem running it.

Java is not the bottleneck that it once was, either. In the hands of a skilled developer, it's not necessarily any worse than a C program. At the same time, it may be loaded with the specific tools the developer is looking for. Simply put, choosing Java for the Minecraft project was not immediately a bad choice.

well is the Java for the pandora even support the LWJGL that minecraft uses? I think it might run if the resolution is low enough for it to render it at ~30fps. The resolution makes the biggest difference for the processing power required so it might work if it is low enough.

Back