Minecraft on Pandora

2bit

I don't know if the Pandora could run it or even if Notch would allow it but wouldn't it be awsome if we could get Minecraft on the Pandora . I heard that there were problems getting java to run . If it does work disregard this , oh and angry birds

It works in Android I believe.

All the Angry birds games run fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Minecraft Poket Edition on my Xperia Play, sure, it isnt that advance like the PC Version, but to kill some times (Yes, killing is not nice but it works...(Quote from ED)) its cool enought,

Dos this game also works on my 256 mb cc unit overclocked to 800 mhz??

Minecraft proper could probably be made to work with an ARM build of LWJGL, if only LWJGL didn't expose different API's for GL and GLES.

The problem is, it uses Java, which runs very slowly on anything. They decided to use Java becasue of "optimal system compatibility".

The problem is, it uses Java, which runs very slowly on anything. They decided to use Java becasue of "optimal system compatibility".
Everything but the renderer runs just fine. I even had a server up and 3 people connected to it before the network latency got too high. So long as two people didn't go off exploring in different directions there wasn't a problem; chunk generation is painful.

I have no idea what kind of resources the actual rendering would require though. It could be kept minimal, or it could be 90% of the execution.

Cool thanks I was debating with my friend about this the other day now I can prove him wrong !

Everything but the renderer runs just fine.

[...]

I have no idea what kind of resources the actual rendering would require though. It could be kept minimal, or it could be 90% of the execution.

the GPU will be crawling thru hardened concrete trying to render.

Minecraft uses alpha test and transparency, both very costly on SGX.

I haven't started rendering with these features and the frame rate is already fairly low in BBQ.

and Minecraft's chunks are 16x16x128, I'm rendering 16x16x16 chunks with CPU-driven view frustum culling to help the GPU out. (CPU is only at ~40% so its not the bottleneck).

so it would be slooooooooooooooow.

By sloooooooooooooow do you mean that it would be like trying to run crysis ( if I misspelled sorry ) on the IPhone or do you mean that you would you would have to put it to tiny and then basically be a lag ignoring machine .

The 512MB of ram models would likely fair better, than the 256MB. The 1GHz models would probly run proper minecraft okay... But, it'll probly physically hurt you to play a game like that on a small screen. Terraria would probly be sweet on it, despite the Spec requirements being higher than Minecraft.

That said, once my 256MB Pandora arrives, I'll try the PC version & we'll see how it goes(I'm predicting terribly)

That said, once my 256MB Pandora arrives, I'll try the PC version & we'll see how it goes(I'm predicting terribly)
Not at all. The PC version's graphics are driven by LWJGL, an OpenGL API for Java. Not only is it closed source, but the Pandora only has OpenGLES, a slightly different instruction set from standard OpenGL. There is an OpenGLES version of LWJGL, but it exposes different API calls for the ES vs the standard, so it isn't even a drop in replacement: Minecraft would have to be modified to use the different calls which is not an easy task.

That's even worse. At least Minecraft is Java, so it has the potential to run. Terraria is x86 compiled binary, it won't even try to run.

Here directly from the Developers from the Minecraft near Game Terraria:

The Android Version(yet in development,but downloadable)

http://blog.bagearon...droid-progress/

There Stand that is possible to run on 512MB Ram Devices like Xperia.

Then you have good Chances to run it on 512MB Pandoras :D

Terraria is x86 compiled binary, it won't even try to run.
Well, AFAIK it's a pure .NET binary => bytecode, executable via Mono.

However, due to the lack of a usable XNA Mono equivalent it won't even start on a beefy Linux PC.

Back