MineCraft on Pandora ?

mattman

Still Fresh
I dont have a pandora "YET" and im still only learning how to develop code and use Linux.

but as the Topic asks has there been or is it possible for a version of MineCraft to work on a Pandora ??

has it even been tried ??

what about a port of "Project Zomboid" ??

Minecraft won't run, it needs to be ported op OpenGL|ES first, and will most likely use too much RAM and CPU-time to be playable anyway.

If any sandbox blockplacing game will run on the pandora, it will be either minecraft mobile (requiring a Android port with accelerated video) or one of the clones. Minetest does run, but it's in early alpha and run pretty slowly (but a lot faster than Minecraft run on my EEEpc 901...)

Minecraft won't run, it needs to be ported op OpenGL|ES first, and will most likely use too much RAM and CPU-time to be playable anyway.

If any sandbox blockplacing game will run on the pandora, it will be either minecraft mobile (requiring a Android port with accelerated video) or one of the clones. Minetest does run, but it's in early alpha and run pretty slowly (but a lot faster than Minecraft run on my EEEpc 901...)

yeah i did a little more delving and i see what your saying, but at least now the qeustion has been asked and maybe there will be a dev out there that will take this up.

Projectzomboid would be a perfect game for the panny :)

yeah i know right. It would be pretty cool. And perfect for the pandora. if possible.

There have been a few threads about this before, Notch has a Pandora from what i'm aware but I don't see him prioritizing this.

So here is a link to the MineTest client from Eyecreate, it's more of a clone just missing some of the features, but it's pretty good and the closest we'll get for the time being.

http://repo.openpand...-minetest-16537

cheers Giraffe, definatly make a note of that. and markbook it.

yeah i did a little more delving and i see what your saying, but at least now the qeustion has been asked and maybe there will be a dev out there that will take this up.
It's been asked many times, you aren't the first. I've successfully gotten parts of it running. Specifically of interest as to whether it can or not, I've had a server running with three concurrent users and so long as they don't all go off in different directions (thus necessitating a lot of very expensive chunk creations which could freeze up the server for several minutes) it was able to handle them more or less fine. A fourth user caused problems.

I've not been able to get anything to do with rendering the actual client though, and that's where the largest CPU hog is likely to be.

there's a poll for my project with some old screen shots:

http://boards.openpa...-first-updated/

and more recent screen shots:

cube_engine4.jpg

cube_engine5.jpg

most of the progress has been done under the hood:

for now the game plateau around 65MB of memory usage with a huge world in all directions (up and down as well, 96 bits of cubes (79,228,162,514,264,337,593,543,950,336) if you can fit that on your SD card) and 50% cpu usage on BeagleBoard.

frame rate is around 30fps full screen under X windows.

the GPU is still the bottleneck but the rendering engine has room for speed improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks interesting. Without playing, based on the screen shots it has a populous look and feel to it if you remember that game...

Looking forward...

Looks great Stephane. I'm curious to see what direction you're going to take this.

One small remark. I noticed the window title Cube Engine Test, please be aware that the name Cube Engine is already in use.

lol, thanks.

but, my thought on the issue is "whatever" :)

its just what the window caption shows, the sub engine module that renders cube is actually called "cube world" internally as part of a bigger engine.

and yes I know "Cube World" is also the name of a game in development.

its self descriptive and they're both English words.

the whole engine isn't called cube engine or cube world, and even if I did call it "cube engine", you can't trademark "tomato juice", especially if what you're selling is tomato juice.

now, if this guy's engine was called "Kube Engine" then I wouldn't be allowed to call mine "Kube Engine" or even the sub-module.

by calling his engine "cube engine" he's using generic English words in a proper grammar with nothing odd or special about it, so he can have no trademark claims on it.

if he called it "Engine:Cube" or "Engine Cubed" then he WOULD be able to try to protect it as it is a non-ordinary English usage.

note that I'm not going to try and steal his engine name, nor cube world's game name.

if I was an /-\ hole and did try to seal it I probably would be able to because they just can't trademark usual words for their applicable domains.

"Apple" can use this word as trademark because they are NOT selling apples.

but don't worry, its just a descriptive name for my engine test so I can find the window in the task bar, having 4 windows just called "test" isn't convenient :)

Back