Beta Midi Installer

Thanks sebt3. Is this a port?

I think I'll try this out soon, though I'm not sure of exactly what I'll need to do. What other things can this be used for besides games?

I have the vague memory from somewhere that this is very useful, but I don't know much about how it works.

Esn said:
Is this a port?
No, just 3 dumbs shell-scripts :)

Esn said:
I think I'll try this out soon, though I'm not sure of exactly what I'll need to do. What other things can this be used for besides games?
What to do :
1) launch it
2) choose the option that suit your need. You pick to install on nand or on sdcard and you have 3 differants set of midi soundset.
3) type in your password
4) push finsh when it is actually done.
5) forget about that :)

It will enable music in games like doom etc. The zelda's games actually pack with their own midi set (to be changed soon)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Works great; I'd rename it to be more clear (Timidity Midi Installer and likewise for the pnd-file), but otherwise great.

Installed big set to SD2
D1x, worked
Uninstalled
Installed small set to SD1
D1x worked, coudl notice the difference

jeff

skeezix said:
Works great; I'd rename it to be more clear (Timidity Midi Installer and likewise for the pnd-file), but otherwise great.

Installed big set to SD2
D1x, worked
Uninstalled
Installed small set to SD1
D1x worked, coudl notice the difference

jeff
Based on your feedback, I changed the category to system, and renamed the file.
I also changed the download link in the first post.
I may upload this in the file archive with some more feedbacks

Thanks. I used it to install to NAND. Somewhere it always should have been IMHO :)

Esn said:
How much space does it take up in the NAND?
That depend on which sound set you install ;) but you can put them on SDcard and then it's less than a 2k on NAND (2 2lines files).

sebt3 said:
Esn said:
How much space does it take up in the NAND?
That depend on which sound set you install ;) but you can put them on SDcard and then it's less than a 2k on NAND (2 2lines files).
Ok thanks, I added that information to the wiki list:
http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects
:)

Hi guys.
How does this work? I thought timidity should be launched as a server to get a midi device, so I don't get what the scripts do. I see no timidity process.
I'd love to make it work in Dosbox if someone can help me!

Cheers,
Tramb

I'm having a bit of a problem; I installed the small 2mb one to NAND, then decided to install the larger 38mb one to SD card, but didn't remove the original one first. Now I don't know how to remove it, because there's only the option to "remove previous installation" (so I guess when I clicked it, it removed the one on the SD card - after I did that, the option disappeared).

Esn said:
I'm having a bit of a problem; I installed the small 2mb one to NAND, then decided to install the larger 38mb one to SD card, but didn't remove the original one first. Now I don't know how to remove it, because there's only the option to "remove previous installation" (so I guess when I clicked it, it removed the one on the SD card - after I did that, the option disappeared).
The installer take a note on each installation it does. The uninstall option remove everything it have removed. So your installation on NAND have been removed too.
But now you need a midi set installed :D

BTW, if you dnt trust my wword, have a look into /usr/share/midi, if there isnt stuff there, then the uninstaller have done his job, else flush that ;)

Yo. Seeking your thoughts on this exchange from the Seq24 thread. :)

peelie said:
can't get it to output sound after creating a sequence?

i am on HF4 and have installed timidity
cheers

Gruso said:
Hmm I've only ever tested with USB devices. I'll look into it and get back to you.

[edit] Ok, this page (although it's on an Arch wiki, I'm just reading it as general info) tells me that Timidity needs to be run in ALSA daemon mode to show up as a device in Seq24. But this thread tells me that the Timidity PND installer we have only works for games.

Gruso said:
But this thread tells me that the Timidity PND installer we have only works for games.

Indeed this is :
sebt3 said:
just 3 dumbs shell-scripts :)
with 3 midi sounds sets that timidity use to enable midi playing with timidity enabled apps.
SDL_mixer (what most games use for sound) include timidity sources (an old release sadly) so SDL can use these midi sounds sets directly.

But this package dont install any binary to the system.

Back