Microsoft patents modular windows phone design - ie swappable keyboard, gamepad etc

I haven't read the particular patent description, nor am I inclined to do so. But, it sounds rather general. I haven't seen any phones do this yet, but controller extensions have existed for ages and are not that much different from this.

I concur with Caine, this is quite general. I won't rant about how ridiculous patents are getting these days as I'm sure readers can find all of that online anyway.

Swapping out a keyboard and a battery? I'll often swap out the hat on my head with a handkerchief. My clever mind can't quite see the difference between them. Both are somewhat useful, but neither are patent-able.

I concur with Caine, this is quite general. I won't rant about how ridiculous patents are getting these days as I'm sure readers can find all of that online anyway.

Swapping out a keyboard and a battery? I'll often swap out the hat on my head with a handkerchief. My clever mind can't quite see the difference between them. Both are somewhat useful, but neither are patent-able.

I have to agree with your point on patents becoming ridiculous. It's like companies are taking the micky out of the process these days. I can understand unique new technology etc being patented, but companies seem to be patenting ridiculous things. Next someone will patent air or fire.

What really upsets me most is seeing companies like apple get away with ridiculous things like only allowing ipod/iphone/ipad apps to be purchased through them. Surely this is anti competative nature and should be illegal, am I alone in thinking this?.

Also, I love they way they have licensed the dock on the ipad/iphone so that you cant even produce an accessory that docks with these unless you get a licence from apple. Thats ridiculous, how do they not get sued for this shit.

Theres actually a company sueing a few major companies because they claim their particular type of Customer Service has been infringed on.Cant remember the name though. But its absurd that judges allow this shit.By allowing one company to patent mamas apple pie they are opening a floodgate and saying its ok to patent anything like fire air or shit.

Now we're one step further from open architecture handhelds.

Unfortunately the tech is going the other way, it's harder and harder to mount the chips, Ram etc. with every new generation, often requiring very complex machines.

Replacing the PCB would be kind though.

Back