Micro Wifi Dongle

Can someone point me in the right direction for one of the Micro Dongles (Netgear or Belkin) that will work out of the box on the Pandora?

There are 2 Belkin Models & 1 Netgear that match the description on the Wiki but no model numbers are given, I want to ensure I get the right model.

I use the Netgear N150 and it works great with the newer kernal and my Linksys E4200 v2 right out of the box. I get the full 150 mb/s speed.

I think you'll find that N150 is not a Netgear model number, it's just a description of the wifi protocol it uses.

The Netgear routers also carry the N150 label, but their model numbers (for this type of router) are usually something along the lines of DGNxxxx. I don't know the naming convention for dongle models though.

- Neelix

Okay both the Sandberg and Solwise micro WiFi adapters work out of the box with the Pandora. They just really hate the office router for some reason, and will not connect to it.

At home, they're brilliant.

Would be interested in seeing if there's a reliable benchmark we could all run, to find the best of the compatible bunch. But the router seems to play a big role in the flakiness some folks encounter.

I think you'll find that N150 is not a Netgear model number, it's just a description of the wifi protocol it uses.

The Netgear routers also carry the N150 label, but their model numbers (for this type of router) are usually something along the lines of DGNxxxx. I don't know the naming convention for dongle models though.

- Neelix

Well I am looking at the manual and it says "N150 Wireless Micro USB Adaptor". Does not really matter though. It works and that is all I care about.

Now the software that comes on the CD is WNA1000M.

Well I am looking at the manual and it says "N150 Wireless Micro USB Adaptor". Does not really matter though. It works and that is all I care about.

Now the software that comes on the CD is WNA1000M.

And WNA1000M would be the model number. It may not make much difference to you, but if someone else wanted to get the same dongle on the basis that it worked for you they would need to match the model number to be sure of getting the same product.

- Neelix

Not off the top of my head, as I mentioned before my experience with Netgear equipment is with routers, not dongles.

That being said, Google is your friend. :)

According to this page (first google result) it uses the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset and is supported in the rtl8192cu linux driver.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. Does anyone know if the "Belkin Surf+ N300 F7D2102az USB Wireless micro Adapter" definately works and 'authenticates' on a WPA2 connection? Good speed and Wireless N extended range is noticeable?

Looks like an ideal compact replacement for the N150 and uses same RTL8192CU chipset, but I have read about network authentication issues when connecting on a Ubuntu forum. (when N150 worked OK). Love to hear any postive reports.

Hello. Does anyone know if the "Belkin Surf+ N300 F7D2102az USB Wireless micro Adapter" definately works and 'authenticates' on a WPA2 connection? Good speed and Wireless N extended range is noticeable?

Looks like an ideal compact replacement for the N150 and uses same RTL8192CU chipset, but I have read about network authentication issues when connecting on a Ubuntu forum. (when N150 worked OK). Love to hear any postive reports.
I have that exact USB device I did a bit of research making sure it was Linux friendly before buying it. So it works out of the box no issues and I do use  WPA2 Personal authentication at home and WPA2 Enterprise with LEAP authentication at work.   The speed appears good, much better than the internal WIFI by a long shot.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back