Metroid Movie? John Woo? Cool? :)

Uh... whats it going to be about?

Last time I checked, the metroid series wasnt exactly packed with plot twists and drama...

Which means new characters of course.

Delsabre posted on Apr 11 2004 at 06:14 PM said:
Uh... whats it going to be about?

Last time I checked, the metroid series wasnt exactly packed with plot twists and drama...

Which means new characters of course.
You havent played Fusion then have you? :)

Well it wasnt exactaly movie material but Fusion had alot more "story" than most metriod games and I think thats where nintendo is directing the future of the metriod series. Fusion had interaction and alot of dialog, even some "plot twists"

Although a metriod movie might be a little bland. (Do we get to see samus trying to bomb up a wall? or run arround looking for missiles? :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Axeman posted on Apr 11 2004 at 03:38 PM said:
I never saw the attraction of the MEtroid games...
Do I need to be enlightened? :blink:
*gasp*

You've never had the joy of bombing three screens up through lava to get to the next area before youre supposed to?!

The attraction for me was the exploration... you've got these huge worlds and there are power-ups and what not just waiting to be found...

... also, does anyone else think that the dead body in Super Metroid thats lying in front of the door to Kraid look a lot like Turrican? :blink:

Delsabre posted on Apr 11 2004 at 09:04 PM said:
Axeman posted on Apr 11 2004 at 03:38 PM said:
I never saw the attraction of the MEtroid games...
Do I need to be enlightened? :blink:
*gasp*

You've never had the joy of bombing three screens up through lava to get to the next area before youre supposed to?!

The attraction for me was the exploration... you've got these huge worlds and there are power-ups and what not just waiting to be found...

... also, does anyone else think that the dead body in Super Metroid thats lying in front of the door to Kraid look a lot like Turrican? :blink:
Nope... can't say I have...!

How can you say that if you have not played it? Metroid Prime is a great game and captures the Metroid feeling better than I ever imagined. Try it, it is a really good game.

John who?

John Woo!

i love that in max payne. it seems game to movie transfers are gradually getting better. resi evil wasnt too bad. im looking forward to it!

Metriod Prime is boring, easy (my 5 year can get %25 of the way through before he too, gets bored), it does NOT capture the feeling of metriod to any degree. Its lifeless, it feels more barren than any other metriod, like not only are you the only person on the planet, but it feels more like you are the only person in the universe, just utter solitude.

The "bombs" when your in a ball (if you can call them bombs) only let you drop 3 at a time, (with a long delay before you can drop them again) so the funnest part about metriod games (bombing up to where you shouldnt be yet!) is completely removed.

You find yourself holding the L button for the entire game.

The whole "exploration" thing, which metriod games thrive on, is just....not there. Its pretty linear, if you dont know where to go, well wait about 30 seconds and the game will show you on the map, and you pretty much cant go anywhere else. They lead you by the hand every step of the way.

But dont take my word for it, it got very bad reviews in most of my game mag subscriptions so read those, they basically say exactally what I did.

And I am a HUGE metriod fan, I love Metriod, Metriod 2 return of samus, Super Metriod, Metriod Fusion, and Metriod Zero Mission, but metriod prime is just a let down and I wont be buying Metriod Prime 2.

Can anyone recommend metroid games to play on the gp32? I've seen super metroid on the snes but do any others play well when emulated?

As for John Woo, let's hope the production is more like Hard Boiled than Broken Sparrow!!

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 12 2004 at 06:51 PM said:
The "bombs" when your in a ball (if you can call them bombs) only let you drop 3 at a time, (with a long delay before you can drop them again) so the funnest part about metriod games (bombing up to where you shouldnt be yet!) is completely removed.

You find yourself holding the L button for the entire game.

The whole "exploration" thing, which metriod games thrive on, is just....not there. Its pretty linear, if you dont know where to go, well wait about 30 seconds and the game will show you on the map, and you pretty much cant go anywhere else. They lead you by the hand every step of the way.
1. Every single other Metroid game limited your bombs too. There is no difference I would see in this area.

2. I did not hold the L button all the way through, it would be really unnerving. Also, why would I want to?

3. The "map" does not really work for leading someone by the hand. They tell you where to go, true. But you still have to figure out how to do it.

4. About your little guy..... well yes, 25%... then it gets harder, don't you think? Sure it's boredom? Also, which Metroid game did not give you the solitude feeling? I don't recall any Metroid game that had other persons on the same planet that you are on. How is "Return of Samus2 on GB other than "Metroid Prime" concerning this feeling?

If you don't like the game, well, that's OK. But I really don't think your points can be seen as valid...

1. Every single other Metroid game limited your bombs too. There is no difference I would see in this area.

That is completely untrue, the other games DO limit you to 3 bombs, but they dont have a LONG delay between the sets of 3 like metriod prime does. They purposefully added this delay so you cannot create bomb chains and bomb your way up where you dont belong. (if time perfect you might get a few feet off the ground and thats about it, the delay stops you from being able to get any higher, it was a purposefull delay that they added in Prime and then again in Fusion, although its not nearly as bad in Fusion)

Holding the L button, even the 3 reviews I read of if said the very same thing, the L button is the target button, you basically play through the game with that button held.

The map definitly leads you by the hand, even my 5 year old boy knows where to go in metriod prime.

And I have finished the game and no it doesnt really get any harder after %25, its pretty much the same through out the game over and over and over again.

All in all metriod prime was a serious let down to a huge metriod fan like me, and according to the reviews it was a serious let down to the reviewers and readers of those magaizes alike. Just like WindWaker, Metriod Prime split the Metriod Fans into two large opposing groups, nintendo seems to be doing this alot lately with their franchise games (Zelda, Metriod, Mario, etc...) Not a good thing for the bussiness of a failing company. (3rd in console sales, and once the PSP comes out probably 2nd in handhelds, nintendos glory days are over and they are just helping it along).

I think the main idea between the waiting of the bombsis the fact that ure not spose to bomb ure way to a different part of the game

Personally I really hated the original metroids, i never really got them, but Prime is superb, if a little bit repetetive, but i got it for £7 so i wont complain

Oh and by the way, i hope u live in US coz in Europe and Asia the Gamecube has outsold the XBOX quite a bit, especially in asia

Out selling the Xbox isnt hard, M$ and N are continually fighting for 2nd place (about 20-30% of the mark combined) where as sony is WAY ahead of both of them at about 70% of the market. Even if N sells more than M$ in a few places, its still a dying company. It used to be #1, the uncontested leader for the handheld market and nearly uncontested of the console market (sega competing then), now its fighting to stay out of last place and in some places it is last place. And with sony entering the handheld market, the one thing that has kept the big N going all these years, through good and bad, now has extreme competiton. I see the big N doing a Sega and droping to a software developer only. Soon we will see Mario on the playstation and xbox.

Back