Meego On Pandora?

CodeTwister

Still Fresh
The first wave of Pandoras will reach the customers in march/april (?). A few months later we expect to see the first MeeGo devices hitting the market ...

I'm interested in the Pandora as an open "raw-power" handheld device that is able to fulfill all my nerdy everyday needs (Linux powered, open, fully customizable, good battery life, 3d acceleration, WLAN, ...). Therefore I'm also interested in the MeeGo operating system as an option for the Pandora. When I get my "ugly girlfriend" I will start to investigate this.

Anyone else out there with similar usage scenarios? If so, are you interested in this topic? Comments welcome.

Me!mememe! Yeah, so I'd be interested. Whatever nokia and intel come up with is going to be a lot more finger friendly than XFCE or the netbook launcher. Frankly MeeGo has a lot of potential with a nice range of devices coming out and two big companies that are big free software supporters supporting it. On the short term I think it's unlikely to be widely available though, perhaps you should take a look at Mer first?

From what I can tell, MeeGo is one element of Intel's plan to put their Moorestown CPU into MIDs and smartphones, like the LG GW990, and to push back against ARM. In other words, MeeGo is a mobile OS for x86 CPUs, which is something Intel really needs unless they want to keep slapping Windows or Moblin on smaller and smaller Atom CPU devices. I think the project is pretty intriguing, but I can't figure out how Maemo benefits from having an x86-compatible variant. Applications won't be cross-platform between Maemo, Moblin, and MeeGo, so what's the upside for Maemo? Or is it just another project for the Maemo team to work on, in anticipation of Nokia producing a portable mini-computer/phone with a Moorestown CPU?

The Maemo team is I guess quasi-independent from Nokia, but I don't know enough to understand exactly what's up. I posted a comment/question about it over on the JK on the Run blog, and James Kendrick's view is that MeeGo is just the result of "two giants" getting together to shake things up, just because they can. So, not very specific.

Anyway, because MeeGo looks like an x86-compatible OS, I'm not sure how it would fit in with the Pandora. However, my conclusions are based on very scant details about MeeGo.

@klikklak: Yes, Mer could be an option but I would like to go for MeeGo if possible. I expect that Nokia and Intel will really push MeeGo to a release in the near future. We will know more in a few weeks.

@cobaltage: MeeGo will be API compatible to Maemo (as claimed in a promo video on the MeeGo website) and I speculate it will replace Maemo 6 on the upcoming N900 successor. Therefore I hope to see an OMAP based version of MeeGo, too.

And yes, I only speculate whats coming up. I think it would be nice to have an OS option with a larger user base and some companies blowing wind into the sails. As long as its open, I go with it.

I think It's a bit too early to talk about MeeGo on the Pandora. We will have to wait for the first release of Meego first.

Hopefully it will be more open than Maemo. Maemo always had a number of proprietary component. There is the Mer project which is 100% opensource but isn't really polished yet.
Than being said I always preferred the way Nokia developed Memo as opposed to Google and Android. Google just doesn't contribute much upstream and usually seem to have they own version of everything.
Maemo on the other side was debian based and used a lot of existing technology and had quite an active community for it's user base.
I do have quite big hopes for Meego. Hopefully it turns outs to be a nice system than can be run on both X86 and ARM.

BTW I am the only one that thinks that MeeGo is an horrible name. Not a lot of people outside the geek circle have heard the name Moblin or Maemo... they could have just choose a totally unrelated name.

I have an n900 and check the maemotalk forums quite often. One of the members is Nokia staff and he was saying that Meego is effectively a replacement for Maemo that's designed to run on Intel and ARM chips

cobaltage said:
The Maemo team is I guess quasi-independent from Nokia, but I don't know enough to understand exactly what's up. I posted a comment/question about it over on the JK on the Run blog, and James Kendrick's view is that MeeGo is just the result of "two giants" getting together to shake things up, just because they can. So, not very specific.
Maemo, or at least maemo.org, is quite independent from Nokia. However, the 'MeeGo' moblin/Maemo merger is purely a Nokia corporate decision, there was no advance warning, not to mention any discussion, over at maemo.org.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, seems I've missed it. Didn't check TMO in the last weeks.

Tor, is the community happy, or is talk.maemo.org on fire now?

cobaltage said:
From what I can tell, MeeGo is one element of Intel's plan to put their Moorestown CPU into MIDs and smartphones, like the LG GW990, and to push back against ARM. In other words, MeeGo is a mobile OS for x86 CPUs, which is something Intel really needs unless they want to keep slapping Windows or Moblin on smaller and smaller Atom CPU devices. I think the project is pretty intriguing, but I can't figure out how Maemo benefits from having an x86-compatible variant. Applications won't be cross-platform between Maemo, Moblin, and MeeGo, so what's the upside for Maemo? Or is it just another project for the Maemo team to work on, in anticipation of Nokia producing a portable mini-computer/phone with a Moorestown CPU?

Anyway, because MeeGo looks like an x86-compatible OS, I'm not sure how it would fit in with the Pandora. However, my conclusions are based on very scant details about MeeGo.

As others have noted, it looks at this point like MeeGo is a replacement for both Maemo and MobLin. Probably because Nokia and Intel figured they could save some money and cut down on a duplication of effort, as Moblin and Maemo have similar goals and jumping off points. Nokia also probably figures it's a way to get more people using Qt, and Intel is probably anticipating its use in Moorestown smartphones, but right now I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Nokia's got an x86 phone coming out right away. Nokia has also recently gotten into the netbook market, so there's probably a bit of crossover there, too.

MeeGo makes much more sense to me then, knowing it will be both x86 and ARM compatible. It's like Chrome OS in that respect.

Thanks for the heads up.

I guess that means that they will be combining their independent efforts at developing app stores as well.

But I don't want those fungoid-crustaceans to carry my brain around in a metal jar!

mali said:
Oh, seems I've missed it. Didn't check TMO in the last weeks.

Tor, is the community happy, or is talk.maemo.org on fire now?
It's a bit divided. But as usual for TMO most people try to take it in stride, and find a way forward. As expected there's some arguments about moving from Debian/DEB-based to Fedora/RPM-based, both on TMO and the developer's mailing list, and here your background kind of shows through. For a user (who just installs stuff), or a corporate manager, one is more or less as good as the other (although corporate people are maybe more RPM aware). Many developers (although not everyone) are more in favour of DEB. Disclaimer: Including myself.

Back