Whats Better

• Ipod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MD

• Some Other MP3 Player

• Total voters

MD players are pretty rubbish, but the iPod probably isn't the best MP3 player.

Decide how much you want the following things:

LCD remote control
FM radio
Being able to record stuff
Ability to use programs other than iTunes
Having a battery that lasts longer than 6-8 hours without needing recharged

If none of these seem important (don't underestimate how useful a remote control can be), get an iPod. If you want one or more, get an iRiver. In terms of 'features' purely related to playing music (proper playlists, gapless playback etc), I've heard the Rio Karma is probably best.

I got an iRiver primarilly because I wanted the remote control. Most of the things which annoy me about the iRiver (mainly the lack of gapless playback) are problems with the iPod too, although rudimentary support for on-the-go playlists would be nice. I like how the iRiver mounts as a harddrive without needing to install software, as it's useful for transporting files. I'm not sure if the iPod can do this; I read somewhere the iPod has its own software stored which it loads onto the computer automatically when its connected so that files can be transferred, but I don't know if this is true. There isnt much to choose between them in my opinion, and I think you'll be happy with your purchase whichever one you go for.

If you want to use linux, dont get an iPod.

edit: You might want to budget some money for a better pair of earphones than those which come with the iRiver/iPod.

edit2: you could also research into Zen/Karma/Rio etc, which are all supposed to be pretty good.

5125461sA59IFN104598M.JPG
this is my MD

LHC posted on Oct 1 2004 at 03:03 PM said:
Having a battery that lasts longer than 6-8 hours without needing recharged

The newer 4th generation HP Ipods have improved battery life within the range of 10-12 hours. I personally have an Ipod and love it, but it's up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
minidisc players are shit (yes i own one). maybe the hi-md players are better but i doubt it. if i was getting an mp3 i would defo go for an i river. the new ipods look pretty good but i wouldnt get one for the simple fact that everyone and their racoon has one. if youre not worried about size either you might want to consider an mp3-cd player, ive got one of these bitches and i highly recommend it
B0001A9816.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LHC posted on Oct 1 2004 at 08:03 PM said:
MD players are pretty rubbish, but the iPod probably isn't the best MP3 player.

If none of these seem important (don't underestimate how useful a remote control can be), get an iPod. If you want one or more, get an iRiver. In terms of 'features' purely related to playing music (proper playlists, gapless playback etc), I've heard the Rio Karma is probably best.

Got an ipod and agree with LLHC's comment, the remote is great i raarely use the front control which aren't so great

I actually prefer the metal casing style of the iriver to plasticy looking ipod, i think it looks more sophisticated :p

Oh yeah and you can read text files which was a feature i didn't think i would use but do now...

get a rio karma, they are the fucking bomb!

brilliant battery life, gets you through a whole day with the volume up, back light on, swapping around between songs lots, and still has juice to spare.

it has cross fading and gapless playback, absolutely brilliant if you really want to enjoy your music. using the rio dj app within the player i can set it up to play all sorts of random lists for hours, the gapless playback makes it better still.

You're paying a lot for the image of an iPod - mine didn't cost me anything though so I've no complaint. Minidisc does sound better than MP3, but MP4 is just as good. Can the iRiver play MP4s?

Have to say though, if the Rio Karma does cross-fading and gapless playback, that sounds like your best bet.

Unless you have a mac, in which case the iPod just works so seamlessly with it, there's no comparison. Saying that though, if you did own a mac, you probably wouldn't have posted this thread...

LHC posted on Oct 1 2004 at 09:03 PM said:
MD players are pretty rubbish, but the iPod probably isn't the best MP3 player

Not enough iPod fanboyism in this thread ... here goes.

You are misinformed. Linux compatibility is very high. The GNOME jukebox app Rhythmbox integrates with the iPod as well as iTunes in some places, and there's a lot of open source iPod uploading/sync tools out there. iPod's headphones are actually fairly high quality, better than the ones I got with my walkman anyways. I tried once with another pair that cost me £20 and the quality actually downgraded.

The iPod comes with a remote control and is gapless most of the time - it only reloads the music every 20 minutes, otherwise it's direct from RAM. iPod has a mass storage frontend which lets you use it as a hard drive, but unfortunately you have to type some combination when it boots to get it. It's still there though, and once you install the drivers you can enable it all the time without a combination.

As well as allowing mass storage, it will sync with the iTunes library (or Winamp library with a plugin, or Musicmatch Jukebox, probably some others) automatically when connected. On-the-go playlists also rock, as well as smart playlists (based on filters you define). Both work on the iPod. I don't see what you mean by 'proper playlists', iPod also supports regular playlists although admittedly you can't make more than one when you're 'on the go'... not much of a loss.

So to go through most of your 'reasons not to get an iPod'... it has got a remote control, comes as standard with 20 GB or higher models. If you want a remote (and I didn't) you're probably using the player a lot, so you'll be wanting 20+ GB regardless. As I said you don't have to use iTunes. Battery life for me is around 8 hours, and since it charges up to 80% capacity within an hour it's never been a problem for me.

Unfortunately FM radio and recording come seperately, but at least then you're not paying for stuff you might not want (I don't care about either). The only other thing is image - back when the iPod 3G was brand new (i.e. when I bought it) that was a positive, now pretty much everyone has an iPod. I never did and wouldn't recommend buying it for the image. It's just a solid, reliable player aimed at audiophiles with an intuitive UI and a good base of features.

The iPod remote control doesnt have a screen though.

My old MD recorder did, and the iRiver does too.

Its annoying to have to get the iPod itself out just to choose a song. Plus battery life is shit. There are some MP3 jukebox's that offer 22-24 hours battery life, as oppose to a crappy eight hours.

wolly_wotsit posted on Oct 2 2004 at 04:41 PM said:
ifp-1000_title1.gif

any one got one of these, it has 256 MB mem, is that a lot?

you'll be paying over the odds for the colour screen.

just get one off ebay, super cheap!

if you want a classy product though, irvier or rio are the ones to go for.

35 hour battery life

Built in Digital Camera
Take actions shoots with the built in Digital Camera. With the iFP-1090 you don't need to worry about missing a great picture.

1,2" Color LCD Display
Enjoy the colors of your pictures, snap a picture and show it on the built in color display, capable of showing 260000 colors you are able to view the image in good quality.

Timer Recording & Alarm
iFP-1090 has an Built-in Real Time Clock which makes it possible to have Timer recordings and alarms.

Supports Ogg Vorbis
iFP-1090 is one of the first Flashmemory based MP3players that will support Ogg Vorbis direct from the store.

35 Hours Playtime
Listen to your favorite music for up to 35 hours on the replaceable Li-Ion battery.

18mW earphone out (at 16 Ohm)
iRiver?s focus on soundquality with high quality soft and hardware gives this player superiour sound with loud sound.

Supports MP3, WMA & ASF
With Multi-Codec playback the player not only supports MP3 files but also WMA, Windows Media Audio, and ASF files.

Firmware Upgradeable
Upgrade the player for future fileformats such as Ogg Vorbis, AAC or implement further new/improved features.

FM Radio Stereo/Mono
FM Radio with the possibility to save up to 20 of your favorite radiostations.

Microphone/Dictaphone
Built in microphone/dictaphone that can be used as a pocket memory.

XtremeEQ and Xtreme3D
Make the sound sound like you want with the built in XtremeEQ and Xtreme3D effects.

ID3 Tag Info Support (V1. V2 2.0, V2 3.0 & V2 4.0)
Reads all standard types of ID3 tags.

Transport Files
Use the players internal memory to store information from your school/work/home and varry it with you, all you need is the iRiver Manager software and an USB cable to get your data.

Supports Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP & Mac
iFP-1090 works under the biggest OS environments.

40 Different Language Support; Swedish, English, etc.
Configure your player so it shows the ID3 tag in the correct way.

Included Accessories

Earphones
Carrying Case
Arm Band
Necklace
USB Cable
Install CD
User's Manual, S/W Manual
Quick Start Guide

Not Bad if i do say so myself

I voted MD

I like my Net MD player. On Average I can fit 5 - 7 Albums per a Minidisc which is more than enough for me. Mini Discs are small so dont realy take up lots of room in my pocket.

If you own a Ipod, you are recommended to change the Headphones as people notice the iPod Headphones and Mug you for your iPod :p (It was on the news).

My MD has a nice Backlit remote so I can view the tracks etc.

heres my MD Player, bought it when it was first released for £200. Does everthing that I need it to do :p -

B000065UOT.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

--Edit--

The Picture shows the MD Player Sitting on its cradle.

I will probably invest in a cheap 128MB or 256MB MP3 Player sometime if I can be bothered.

Back