Whats Better

• Ipod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MD

• Some Other MP3 Player

• Total voters

Happy owner of MD for years. Just bought a Hi-MD they're superb. Well worth the money go for a Hi-MD

I reccommend the Philips HDD100.
2114.jpg

Has all the features of the Iriver ihp-120 (except the radio) for a fraction of the price. Got mine for £125, including shipping from the US.
It's a sexy beast, too.
Edit: Come in 15gb and 20gb

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, lets see, average 5mb per song = 51 songs.So around 2 or 3 albums in mp3 format. Has support for wma and FM plus live recording..

Just noticed this:
Size = 3.9cm(W)x 7.8(H)x 1.5cm(D)x 65g
Its fricking tiny!!

Price has now gone done to £114

I have owned both a HDD100 Philips MP3 player and a MZ-N1 netMD. The net MD si far, FAR superior to any of the current MP3 offerings. The main problem with these is the battery life. On average, i got around 6 hours from my HDmp3 player, whereas i usually get around 50 from the NETMD. The Hi-MD ones look EVEN better. Trust me, if you buy an MP3 player, you will end up hating the battery life, cos its crap when your used to the MD. Just my opinion :rolleyes:

I highly recomend the archos av750 it has a 40 gig hd and can play movies and view pictures its quite large but the features more than make up for it!

loz_the_guru posted on Oct 4 2004 at 09:29 AM said:
I have owned both a HDD100 Philips MP3 player and a MZ-N1 netMD. The net MD si far, FAR superior to any of the current MP3 offerings. The main problem with these is the battery life. On average, i got around 6 hours from my HDmp3 player, whereas i usually get around 50 from the NETMD. The Hi-MD ones look EVEN better. Trust me, if you buy an MP3 player, you will end up hating the battery life, cos its crap when your used to the MD. Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Cool... Im sticking with my MZ-N1 :D

loz_the_guru posted on Oct 4 2004 at 09:29 AM said:
Yeah, it's true MDs have far better battery life, but most MP3 players get good enough battery life. I get about 12 hours from mine, which will last me at least a week or two, then you just recharge it, it only takes a couple of hours. No big deal.

MiniDisk is soon to be dead. Even Sony knows it.

Digital audio jukeboxes are the way of the future.

Battery life may not be great now, but some offer 20 hours+ already, and it will improve in the future.

Whats the Quality Comparisons like?

Like whats teh Sound Quality of a MP3 Player like compaired to a MD Player?? I usually record my MD's on LP4 and they sound exactly the same as the CD.

MD is slightly better, but not massively so. Seriously, if batterys not an issue you should get the HDD player. I found it the most annoying thing in the whole world.

hmmm carry lots of disks around in my pockets (more stuff to lose, expenditure to buy em) and having to decide which ones to take everyday when i commute or going holiday, hey i just take my enitire music collection ok battery lasts 10 or so hours i can live with recharging it once a week.

Also the Philips isn't that greater player HDD100 compared to the current good players Karma/Ipod/Iriver IHP-140 and the battery isn't that great hence the poor battery life.

skysnapper posted on Oct 4 2004 at 08:14 PM said:
hmmm carry lots of disks around in my pockets (more stuff to lose, expenditure to buy em) and having to decide which ones to take everyday when i commute or going holiday, hey i just take my enitire music collection ok battery lasts 10 or so hours i can live with recharging it once a week.

Also the Philips isn't that greater player HDD100 compared to the current good players Karma/Ipod/Iriver IHP-140 and the battery isn't that great hence the poor battery life.

Mini Discs arent Expensive :p... I got TEN Sharp 80 Minute ones New for £4.99... Thats 3200 Minutes of Music or 53 Hours and 20 mins... which is about 40 - 70 albums (Depending on the playing time)

I understand what you mean by having it all on the Hard Drive, But what If the harddrive gets corrupt :p

I'd go for MD. It's like an mp3 player but with cheaper, removable storage. I just have a regular one but have optical out on my sound card, so can copy tracks over night if I want, or I borrow my mates net md player.

Back