Maybe Not So Cool An Idea

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I was wondering if there is anyone out there that would be willing to work with me (as in i have the idea, and they actually code it) on making a little program for the gp2x.

basically, i want to make something like a mad libs generator for the gp-- for those who dont know...there is a basic story format, and the user, or computer in this case, inputs certain word types into blanks and the point is, even if the words dont really fit the story, the grammar is right and the results are often very funny.

the reason i want one is im learning japanese, and i cant read anything for native speakers because its too hard, and there arent any good reading practice books availible for learners. Plus, anything i make for myself i can read without reading because im the one who made it in the first place and can just remember what i said before. i figure a semi-random generator like this would be a nice balance between boring reading practice, and a funny relaxing diversion between game sessions. Plus, others out there might find the idea interesting. probably just a small niche, but who knows.

-- as for my ideas about it, in regards to usability, i think one way to go about it might be to have the program in a folder with basic story templates precreated by the user and saved on the sd in a text format with a specific formatting that tells our program where to input words, and from what groups those words should be chosen (adjectives, nouns, -ing verbs) etc.-- but if possible leaving the exact word types up to user might be best-- maybe an numerical code or something... like nouns could be 001, adj 002 , and the user could create as many number codes as they need for whatever language they intend to use the program with.

I figured that the sources for these inputs could then be stored in a seperate text file (probably named in a way that corresponds with the word type classification) and formatted in such a way that the program can identify and insert individual language chunks-- maybe we want 'f***ing cool' as an adj phrase under adjectives etc...

finally i thought the program could then create a new text file that the user could enjoy in anyway they see fit, saved on the sd and ready to delete later with the file manager.

i dont know if this is the best and/or easiest way to go about creating something like this, or if there would be any interest. this is just a feeler about something that i think might be fun.

--i guess i should mention that for me, the ability to read kanji is a must, but the gp2x can already do that so im hoping this wouldnt be a major issue(hopefully the program would just put whatever is in the source file into the output without changing anything else, but im no coder), of course if it is... well, the idea still works for roman based letter using languages.

please let me hear your thoughts... even if they are negative

thanks
d

btw-- i would be willing to make a small paypal donation to anyone who helps make this a reality

Back