Maximum size SDHC card that can be used?

crimsonnight

OK, I've probably got this totally wrong, as I know relitively little about this stuff - but I have just read on wikipedia that: "as of version 2.00 of the specification, the capacity of an SDHC card is limited to 32 GB. However, while not strictly adhering to that standard, it is possible to create SDHC cards of up to 2048 GB capacity. SDHC cards have fixed sector size of 512 bytes." - like i said, i don't really get this - but is it possible to use cards above 32GB with the Pandora, if so, is there a limit or could we potentially use a 2048GB card?

There aren't any SD HC cards you should use that have over 32 GB

but once it becomes common practice, it theoretically shouldn't be a problem to do with the pandora

pandora has 2 sd card slots, the pandora can take up to 32gb card well there is slots which makes it double size of 64gb which is massive storage, i already have 8gb sdhc card i'm planning to get a 32gb card.

crimsonnight said:
OK, I've probably got this totally wrong, as I know relitively little about this stuff - but I have just read on wikipedia that: "as of version 2.00 of the specification, the capacity of an SDHC card is limited to 32 GB. However, while not strictly adhering to that standard, it is possible to create SDHC cards of up to 2048 GB capacity. SDHC cards have fixed sector size of 512 bytes." - like i said, i don't really get this - but is it possible to use cards above 32GB with the Pandora, if so, is there a limit or could we potentially use a 2048GB card?
Essentially, the capacity of current-generation SD cards has been artificially capped at 32 GB. However, there's nothing preventing this limit from being exceeded in the future, so the Pandora should support cards of any capacity. :)

thanks for the info guys ^^ i dont really understand the whole capping thing though - why has that measure been put in place... why hasn't any manufacturer released a card with a capacity higher than 32GB?

crimsonnight said:
thanks for the info guys ^^ i dont really understand the whole capping thing though - why has that measure been put in place... why hasn't any manufacturer released a card with a capacity higher than 32GB?

I think this is more due to process shrinking than an artificial cap, but I could be wrong. Give it a year or two and 64GB will be plentiful I'm sure.

crimsonnight said:
To be honest I don't know why that is the case. Of course, 32 GB cards are a relatively recent development and it's probable that manufacturers don't yet have the equipment to fabricate higher-density flash memory, but I don't know why an artificial cap would be put in place. Nevertheless, that seems to be the situation...

The current cap or 32GB exists for two reasons.

The first is technological - Facilities do not yet exist to manufacture larger cards. This hurdle will obviously be overcome in the near future.

The second is merely bureaucratic - The SD Association likes to keep a tight leash on their standards. The thing with standards is that they only work if they're standard. Once one of the flash memory companies figures out a good way to fit 64GB of storage onto an SD card, the SDA will set a standard based on that. That way all cards and readers will work together.

For the Pandora, compatibility probably won't require anything more than a driver update, if that.

As far as I know the SD consortium has already started to change things to accommodate 2TB (which will probably be a maximum for a while though). In any case the Linux kernel will not have a problem with up to 2TB. It's just a question of what is actually manufactured of SD cards.

I've heard rumours of a 64GB card coming this year, we'll know soon I guess.

There are supposed to be 64MB cards before Christmas, but they might just be developer versions (thus will probably cost over $1000).

craigix said:
There are supposed to be 64MB cards before Christmas, but they might just be developer versions (thus will probably cost over $1000).

I think you mean 64 GB , because 64 MB would be really bad. And does any1 pay 1000 dollar for a slow 64 GB? They could better buy to 32 GB SDs (Which are also way to expensive!)

on a regular daily usage, 4gb should really be enough to fit music(1gb), emulators and roms(2gb), videos(1gb)...
but then, you will select only the best psx games, for example, as they are the great space eaters now.
when you go towards bigger cards, you only have bigger comfort :p
on a 32gb card, you can easily replace your 4gb ipod, have over 10gb worth of videos and still have some 18gb worth of emulator/roms/games!

and remember people, I know it may sound a little awkward, but remember that you only have to buy a new card ONCE! yes, once its bought, you can use it as long as you want :p
this goes for all the people to know its pretty recommended that you have at least a 4gb card to fully enjoy your pandora (the cards are cheap now, there is no reason not to!)

What speed card should we be looking for?

Class 6? Class 4? Class 2? :wacko:

Well 32 Gb is way to much. I think Im goingto buy a 8 GB when I got my pandora at home and a second 8GB 2 months later. 10 GB for Roms and 6 GB for Video's should be enough (I will problably only put some video's on it when I go camping again (that's next summer 4 weeks long.)

sortableturnip said:
I've been thinking about this and came to the conclusion I'd get a large-ish, reasonably fast card for starters. If that turns out to be too slow, I'll get a smaller but faster card later for anything particularly speed-critical and the "old" one would still be useful for raw storage.

sortableturnip said:

Class 6? Class 4? Class 2? :wacko:
Good question. The Class 6 cards can write with (as a minimum) 6 megabytes/second. What can the Pandora handle? The Nokias normally run with a 24MHz clock for the SD card handling, and then they can support up to about 7MB/s, and reports from early adopters of the Class 6 16GB Patriot cards say that they feel very responsive and fast. The Nokias (or rather, the kernel) can be patched to use 48MHz instead though, and then they can support up to about 11MB/sec or so. The question is, what kind of speed can Pandora support?

I'm getting a slow (Class 2) 16GB card for now, but I'll go for Class 6 later, as soon as I know the Pandora can use the speed (speed would be good for e.g. swap space usage).

very nice find indeed! anyone know somewhere cheap you can buy a 32GB one with a high speed class?

Back