Marketing Idea

lucoxade

SCOURGE!
Website
www.scourge.co.uk
We've all seen those crappy single game plug'n'play megadrive/c64/atari that plug into your TV and let you play retro classics of yesteryear, apparently you can buy them in shops and people are snapping them up there was an article in Edge magazine last month with a roundup of the best ones. Still don't have a clue? check out Firebox for more details.

Anywho, if a distributer could get some liscensed games preinstalled with a TV out cable and boast that you could add more games later could be a winner no? Probably not the most responsible idea to say that games are available from the internet, but hey Steve Jobs didn't seem to mind releasing the iPod even though 'mp3 is killing the music industry'™ Whats next ? legaly buying ROMS online?

It could work, heck theres even an annual conference dedicated to retro gaming http://www.cgeuk.com/ I'd be willing to invest, I would even put a proposal together if I had some backing!

It's future people, get with the programme :p

i totaly get the "gp2x bigger than jesus" thing! it has to do with john lennon right? lol

Sony tried to say the Playstation was atleast just as big as Jesus and the Vatican told them to cut that shit out. :D

As for downloading games Steve Jobs and Apple eventually released their own codec for music downloads so the only reson to use MP3s on it is if you "stole" them off the net or made them yourself which people still do. For GPH to do the same would mean millions of dollars in licencing fees, we've already seen them drop a codec as fast as a hot potato when someone mentions licencing so I think it's a safe bet they wont try to licence a few million roms or suggest people go out and break the law to enjoy the system to the fullest. :p

here is what i was talking about (yay google)

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that. I'm right and will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were think and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.
- John Lennon, 1966 (This quote sparked quite a large controversy, as many of you might know)

"Look, I wasn't saying the Beatles are better than God or Jesus. I said 'Beatles' because it's easy for me to talk about Beatles. I could have said TV or the cinema, motor cars or anything popular and I would have gotten away with it."
- John Lennon, 1966

Yeah one of the biggest media missteps in history. But it was a controversial statement even if he didn't mean it to sound that way, it's a well known fact that christianity isn't well known for it's sense of humor. :p

how the heck does a service like StarROMs work? the original game makers participate?

Any company if promised to paid for many licenses would be eager to do it, and thats how Starroms did it.

Problem with legal ROMs is that companys won't sale the games if there is no way to protect them from being copied. Is there a way to be able to ensure that without closing the sources of emulators?

Digitalrat posted on Oct 17 2005 at 03:47 PM said:
Problem with legal ROMs is that companys won't sale the games if there is no way to protect them from being copied. Is there a way to be able to ensure that without closing the sources of emulators?

Only way I can think of is encrypting the ROMs against a password.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i see that's why they don't have many legal roms up for d/l .

Blah posted on Oct 17 2005 at 05:35 PM said:
Any company if promised to paid for many licenses would be eager to do it, and thats how Starroms did it.
Not really. At the moment, it's just Atari who is providing StarROMs with games.

When you assume something, you make an ass out of u and me.

StarRoms is kinda pathetic.

Asteroids Atari 1979
Asteroids Deluxe Atari 1980
Atari Baseball Atari 1979
Atari Football Atari 1979
Atari Soccer Atari 1979
Avalanche Atari 1978
Battlezone Atari 1980
Black Widow Atari 1982
Centipede Atari 1980
Cloak & Dagger Atari 1983
Cloud 9 Atari 1983
Crystal Castles Atari 1983
Gravitar Atari 1982
Liberator Atari 1982
Lunar Lander Atari 1979
Major Havoc Atari 1983
Millipede Atari 1982
Missile Command Atari 1980
Monte Carlo Atari 1980
Peter Packrat Atari 1985
Quantum Atari 1982
Qwak Atari 1982
Red Baron Atari 1980
Space Duel Atari 1982
Super Breakout Atari 1978
Tempest Atari 1980
Warlords Atari 1980

Heck I think the only reason they have these is because the real Atari is dead, (the current Atari is only in name and a few I.P.s)

How can StarROMs legally distribute ROMs, when others can't?
StarROMs has entered into a licensing agreement for each of the titles that we offer. We are paying royalties on the titles that [I'm stupid spammer]. Illegal sources do not have a license and are not paying royalties.

They are feeding Infogrames ;D

Bigger than Jesus? You bet :p

handheldofgod29gv.jpg

Edit: I hope I don't get a letter of reprimand from the Vatican ;)

Eolair posted on Oct 18 2005 at 06:50 AM said:
Bigger than Jesus? You bet :p

User Posted Image

I want that Image on a T-shirt, for it is the devine truth.

Eolair, your work impresses me more and more.

I'm not sure I'm sure about an approch that upsets christians to sell a handheld

Cyclops posted on Oct 18 2005 at 09:41 AM said:

I'm not sure I'm sure about an approch that upsets christians to sell a handheld

I'm technically christian and I am not offended by Eolair's work. Its just like saying Godzilla is upsetting to christians. Or something... hahaha...

Edit: is it ok to have a gp32 before the gp2x? Just Kidding. On a serious note Nice job on the picture Eolair!!!!!!

speedmike posted on Oct 18 2005 at 08:42 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Oct 18 2005 at 09:41 AM said:

I'm technically christian and I am not offended by Eolair's work. Its just like saying Godzilla is upsetting to christians. Or something... hahaha...

Edit: is it ok to have a gp32 before the gp2x? Just Kidding. On a serious note Nice job on the picture Eolair!!!!!!

Yeah, it should be alright. Since the GP32 is the ancestor of GP2X ;)

Thanks for the praise btw :)

Also, I'm not looking to offend anyone's religion. I really hope the ad doesn't. Why would it be? As far as I know it's not saying anything sacrilegious. Also the words I used are not even unique to the Christian religion. Moses and the Exodus is more part of Judism than anything....damn, I hope I don't get the Judes after me now.

thats a cool image man, good job with the transparency witht he 2x and the clouds. very cool

Back