Announce: Nethack 0.51

Hmm. Seems like that fixed it. Managed to do about 2000 turns without any problems, and went down about 6 dlvls in total.

The only real problem I had was after a semi-succesful run, just after I bought myself a towel and got killed by some Homunculus. It was a pretty succesful run, and as I was reading the output of my identified items, my batteries died out, and therefore my score wasn't saved. Bummer.

Dzz posted on Jul 8 2006 at 05:30 PM said:
Oh, expect 0.6 next weekend or so (July 15-ish).

I will probably the first to download it then! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzz posted on Jul 8 2006 at 02:18 AM said:
Muncher666 posted on Jul 7 2006 at 10:09 AM said:
Hey Dzz at

Couple of small quips - --snip--
Allan.
Thanks for the comments and all your help in the past!

I will think on the best way to accomodate the "fast" direction selection desire.

For the tile sets, the four bottommost pixels of the last column have special meaning. The most extreme bottom-right pixel color is used for the background (where "background" means areas with no tiles drawn in them). So just edit the picture and change the color of that pixel to one you like better.

Thanks very much Dzz. I appreciate this greatly, I'm just very set in the ways of vanilla PC nethack, it's very hard to adjust. Here's to 0.6!

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Jul 10 2006 at 09:16 AM said:
Dzz posted on Jul 8 2006 at 02:18 AM said:
Muncher666 posted on Jul 7 2006 at 10:09 AM said:
Hey Dzz at

Couple of small quips - --snip--
Allan.
Thanks for the comments and all your help in the past!

I will think on the best way to accomodate the "fast" direction selection desire.

For the tile sets, the four bottommost pixels of the last column have special meaning. The most extreme bottom-right pixel color is used for the background (where "background" means areas with no tiles drawn in them). So just edit the picture and change the color of that pixel to one you like better.

Thanks very much Dzz. I appreciate this greatly, I'm just very set in the ways of vanilla PC nethack, it's very hard to adjust. Here's to 0.6!

Allan.

I can sympathize with your desire. In 0.6, the old faster way of choosing directions will be available as an option, however the default will continue to be the current method.

Oh, expect 0.6 next weekend or so (July 15-ish).

Dzz,

I\'m still playing nethack daily, I think the lack of posts about nethack show that there is not much wrong with your excellent port. I expect comments to show up again after 0.6 is released.

While in the train tomorrow I was thinking about the shift key (Left - shoulder button)
Just pressing it does nothing.....

So I was thinking maybe the key could be used in two ways.

1 - While holding the shift key everything works as always.
2 - pressing the key once, releasing it and then any other combination repeats that action for 10 times.

So pressing joystick button is search.
Pressing shift, releasing it and then the joystick button is search 10 times.
Pressing shift twice and then the joystick button is search 20 times.

(usefull for searching and resting, maybe walking)

A different option would be to press shift, releasing it after which a menu pops up(example)

10 times
20 times
50 times
100 times
Obscure option one
Obscure option three.

X would cancel this menu like all the menus.

-------

And something else, if you want to make things user selectable, maybe a config file with a seperate config editor (menu selectable program with virtual keyboard popup for words to fill in) would be the way to do it.

It keeps the complexity out of the main nethack program, and once the ideal default for the player is set, it is not used anymore anyway, so why incorporate it in the main program?

These are just some of my silly ideas, do with it what you like ;)

Marco

Thanks again for your interesting ideas! I'll think about them as development moves forward. I have 80% of the changes I want to make for 0.6 done and will be releasing it this weekend as planned. Hopefully Saturday night (USA time), but possibly Sunday.

I play Nethack 0.51
I was in Dungeon Level 9, seen a rust monster, so i moved everything from metal into my bag. it were 5 armor pieces and 2 weapons... and then nethack freezed. I tried it 2 times, the same thing. Only way was get the items in the bag in smaller groups. Someone else had this problem too?

Executer posted on Jul 14 2006 at 09:05 AM said:
I play Nethack 0.51
I was in Dungeon Level 9, seen a rust monster, so i moved everything from metal into my bag. it were 5 armor pieces and 2 weapons... and then nethack freezed. I tried it 2 times, the same thing. Only way was get the items in the bag in smaller groups. Someone else had this problem too?
Just to make sure I understand, did this happen as you were trying to put the things in the bag, or some time afterward?

Also (here's an embarrassing question): how do you put stuff into a bag?

Dzz posted on Jul 14 2006 at 05:16 PM said:

*chuckles*
What I always do is put the bag on the floor, loot it, choose to put stuff in it rather than take stuff out, and then drop everything I want to drop into it, then I pick it back up.

Dzz posted on Jul 15 2006 at 01:16 AM said:

Apply it, it will ask you if you want to put stuff in or take stuff out like a chest. Or at least in Vanilla PC nethack, anyway. :)

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
Dzz posted on Jul 15 2006 at 01:16 AM said:

Apply it, it will ask you if you want to put stuff in or take stuff out like a chest. Or at least in Vanilla PC nethack, anyway. :)

Allan.

Yeah
Apply then selected the bag in my inventory.
Selected to put things in
ticked the 7 items with select and then X..
and then it has been frozen ^^
the luck was it was right near the upstairs... praise autosave

Kannibaal posted on Jul 14 2006 at 01:09 AM said:
While in the train tomorrow I was thinking about the shift key (Left - shoulder button)
Just pressing it does nothing.....

So I was thinking maybe the key could be used in two ways.

1 - While holding the shift key everything works as always.
2 - pressing the key once, releasing it and then any other combination repeats that action for 10 times.
Frankly, I think this would be a little confusing... For example, if I'm about to cast a spell or zap a wand using the L+A/B combo, but then reconsider, then there's a good chance I'll have accidentally changed the effect of the next button I press. If something like this is implemented, I sure hope there'll be a big icon shown in the corner to show me that the buttons are about to do something different!

--Zero

Personally, I like to know when someone is creeping up on me, so I'd never make use of such a feature. If you decide to implement it, please do not allow for more than twenty repetitions. That way, at least one could reset it by clicking two more times after the first. And give it a time-out of a few seconds so that if you click it and forget about it, it disables. Or something.

Ok,

Good point, maybe then always use a little popup menu if you click it and release it? Then you can always cancel it.

It's Dzz's choice to do something with my suggestion. Maybe it will be not implemented at all :p

Maybe it could be used to do something differently then what I suggested?

At the moment I'm not complaining about how nethack works on the GP2X. I'm determined to ascend at least once with this version :D

By the way, I think there is maybe something wrong with the selection code when doing a large selection of different items. Nethack will sometimes bork out. This is not something reproduceable for me (having checked it afterwards with the saved files) but this needs to be checked I think.

Marco

Thanks! In order to get 0.6 out this weekend I am not adding to my "todo list" for this version... such feature creep could delay a release forever. I'll start thinking about issues and features for 0.7 next week.

Thanks as always for the ideas, bug reports, and feedback!

The max i've ever gotten down to was Dlevel 10, though i never tried an "epic benny hill maneuver" and just dashed down like i was being hightailed by an army. i wonder if i could do that.

normally my deaths are caused by YASD. like kicking a wall, or being overloaded and falling down a hole, or accidently quaffing a potion, or accidently eating my cat and trying to pray or something like that.

Hi everybody!

I'm making Nethack version 0.6 available for testing. If there are no disastrous new problems introduced by my new code I'll release it to the archive site in a couple days. Here's what's new:

The "Auto-Quiver" has been enabled so when you run out of one
type of ammunition it will automatically pick another one
Ammunition menu command renamed to Quiver and moved to Wear/Wield menu
Message changed on "Fire" command if weapon is appropriate (not "Throw")
Box looting streamlined a little bit
"List Skills" renamed to "List/Enhance Skills"
Bug: Throwing stuff when inventory almost empty
Bug: Tile replication in farlook mode
Bug: Behavior when leaving multi-select menu on a non-selected item
Loot added to Action menu, does not appear in context menu next to creatures
Ride removed from context menu, added to Action menu
During character creation, Y now goes back to previous page
During character creation, START moves to next page
Choice of "Random" is now remembered for character selection
Now possible to engrave with fingers
Holding down L while moving through menus or text moves by pages
Options added to Main menu
Option: Crash Recovery now optional, saves a little less data if turned off
Option: Fast Direction Select option added (not selected by default)
Option: Keyboard layout ABCDEF or QWERTY
Option: Auto-pickup gold (selected by default)
Character name length increased to 12 characters

Here's what I intend for the future:

Version 0.7 will be a release to clean up all the remaining bugs and gameplay issues that I know about. I'm not intending for there to be new features in 0.7. I will start organizing the list of the remaining issues once version 0.6 is released.

Version 0.8 will focus primarily on building a way for controls to be customized for particular styles of play or particular character classes. This will be a significant amount of work, so I want to do a 0.7 first that concentrates on more "nuts and bolts" issues, even if they are minor.

Thanks as always for your testing!

Version 0.6 is available here: http://gp2xgamer.com/nethack06.zip

Downloading now, I'm probably not the first...

Family life did not allow me to press F5 every 5 minutes all day. :p

Be prepared for trainsession comments and suggestions :p

Marco

Edit:Download does not work, zipfile is corrupt (tried browser download, tried wget, tried different unzippers. No joy)
Could be my connection, anyone else having problems?

Marco

Kannibaal posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:55 PM said:
Downloading now, I'm probably not the first...

Family life did not allow me to press F5 every 5 minutes all day. :p

Be prepared for trainsession comments and suggestions :p

Marco

Edit:Download does not work, zipfile is corrupt (tried browser download, tried wget, tried different unzippers. No joy)
Could be my connection, anyone else having problems?

Marco
It's possible that I messed it up somehow. I have re-uploaded the file.

Back