Marines Game

jaysalmon3

Still Fresh
Wanted to know before I port a game I made to the GP2x, how is multi-player support for the GP2x. Here’s the deal, I wrote a game using SDL a while ago the only problem is it uses libs from clanlib for muti-player support. I haven’t received my GP2x yet, it has to travel around the world a couple of time, but when I do can I link more units together like 8 of them. If I can, is it USB or something, also it requires a server; how will it connect to a computer. This game called Marines Game is a multi-player only game, thought it would be nice if it were handheld.

Well, unless you want to have a lot of trouble it's not going to work. You will need usb-networking, a break out board for every gp2x you want to connect and you will also need people that own a gp2x to play. since noone I know owns one except for myself, I can tell you, finding other gp2x fanatics is not an easy task.

That’s true, well there’s not much to do and I still get paid so time’s on my side, my friend will buy one too, when he see what it can do.

xnopasaranx posted on Aug 23 2006 at 03:19 PM said:
Well, unless you want to have a lot of trouble it's not going to work. You will need usb-networking, a break out board for every gp2x you want to connect and you will also need people that own a gp2x to play. since noone I know owns one except for myself, I can tell you, finding other gp2x fanatics is not an easy task.
Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure that USB-networking works with the USB-slave port as well (telnet works for example)?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could hook both up to a computer, have the games send network packets through telnet, and write a program for the pc that links them together.

Ill put this one off, maby Ill write it for the xgp if theres more users. xnopasaranx brought up a good point its a multi-play only game with no AI and no players to play with. Thanks for helping; an Idea might be creating lib for network through telnet to make it transparent to the developer.

Actaully you'd only only need one break out board. A breakout board has 4 usb ports, which would allow for 5-way multiplayer, even more with a USB hub.

Back