Racing Game That May Be Possible

Khayman posted on Aug 22 2006 at 04:05 PM said:
I really missing a good racing game for GP2X..

i know the 2x just isnt complete without one (i still say one needs to be made) to sourceforge!! (to find a portale racing game!)

what about this?
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...fari%26rls%3Den

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rcmania

its ment o be ported to handhelds and pda's so it ight be able to be ported (open source, for linux, and dosn seem to need open gl *but i may be wrong)

Last edited by a moderator:
Goemon4 posted on Aug 23 2006 at 12:09 AM said:

i know the 2x just isnt complete without one (i still say one needs to be made) to sourceforge!! (to find a portale racing game!)

what about this?

its ment o be ported to handhelds and pda's so it ight be able to be ported (open source, for linux, and dosn seem to need open gl *but i may be wrong)

-Runs at 25 frames per-second on an Athlon 1500+.

The 2X isn't capable of doing that at full speed. Most handhelds and PDA's are running at much higher speeds than a 200 mHz Dual Processor. So don't count on this one :(

The reason for pointing out Trophy is that it is the only one I've found that doesn't use OpenGL or any other 3D stuff. I think this is the best chance of a racing game on the GP2X until 3D is more mature.

NoidZ posted on Aug 22 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
Goemon4 posted on Aug 23 2006 at 12:09 AM said:

what about this?

-Runs at 25 frames per-second on an Athlon 1500+.

The 2X isn't capable of doing that at full speed. Most handhelds and PDA's are running at much higher speeds than a 200 mHz Dual Processor. So don't count on this one :(

missed that ;)

Parkydr posted on Aug 23 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
The reason for pointing out Trophy is that it is the only one I've found that doesn't use OpenGL or any other 3D stuff. I think this is the best chance of a racing game on the GP2X until 3D is more mature.

I bet Wipeout 2097 (PSX) will work someday at full speed. It's already playable, but not at full speed. But it will someday I hope :rolleyes:

i_am_a_noob posted on Aug 24 2006 at 05:14 PM said:
We'll soon have Super Mario Kart! :)
Explain yourself!

- Alex

lardo4life posted on Aug 25 2006 at 03:28 AM said:
Couldn't someone just say... use the graphics engine from the Quake GP2X port and turn it into a racing game? :ph34r:

Are you just joking or are you just stupid? <_<

NoidZ posted on Aug 25 2006 at 11:22 PM said:
lardo4life posted on Aug 25 2006 at 03:28 AM said:
Couldn't someone just say... use the graphics engine from the Quake GP2X port and turn it into a racing game? :ph34r:

Are you just joking or are you just stupid? <_<

Why? would it be impossible?
and by the way.. is it important to people on this site to call other "less knowing" ugly namesand ask if they are stupid? i still havent found another forum hwo is unfriendlier then this!

The Quake engine is efficient, at small areas of rendering, and isn't meant to handle fast-changes in scenery. If you have done any level design, you know to keep your designs simple, your textures/polys low and if there's something that HAS to move you fast, limit what the engine sees at that point. Also any far distances that you can see in Quake should be lmiited to reduce detail, which is why hallways aren't normally too long, but have lots of corners/turns/etc... The "outdoor areas" of Quake are also pretty much another trick of the engine and so would not lend itself well to a racing track venue. About the closest you could do is an indoor race track with a few "holes" in the ceiling, a couple "lights" here and there, and some simple racing textures. And the maximum viewable distance cut off by walls between the different straightaways in the track. *shrug* IF the program didn't crash from having to simulate the speed of a race car and refreshing constantly. I'm almost certain the running speed in Quake was limited for that reason in version 1.01 and earlier, cause graphic cards couldn't refresh so fast.

The best chance for a "3D" style racer is similar to earlier racers like Need for Speed. A VERY simplistic 3D surface engine with simple textures (road/ edge/ grass/ fence) and prerendered sprites for all the other cars/scenery and such, with some simple polygons for starting line/finish line and anything that prerendered sprites couldn't handle.

Spectators, bushes, other racers, cars in "The PITS" could be done with sprites to save rendering speed and memory. I'm not a programmer, but I have worked with the Quake engine and built a few levels myself (lousy ones, but still)

Winterkid posted on Aug 26 2006 at 01:33 AM said:
The Quake engine is efficient, at small areas of rendering, and isn't meant to handle fast-changes in scenery. If you have done any level design, you know to keep your designs simple, your textures/polys low and if there's something that HAS to move you fast, limit what the engine sees at that point. Also any far distances that you can see in Quake should be lmiited to reduce detail, which is why hallways aren't normally too long, but have lots of corners/turns/etc... The "outdoor areas" of Quake are also pretty much another trick of the engine and so would not lend itself well to a racing track venue. About the closest you could do is an indoor race track with a few "holes" in the ceiling, a couple "lights" here and there, and some simple racing textures. And the maximum viewable distance cut off by walls between the different straightaways in the track. *shrug* IF the program didn't crash from having to simulate the speed of a race car and refreshing constantly. I'm almost certain the running speed in Quake was limited for that reason in version 1.01 and earlier, cause graphic cards couldn't refresh so fast.

The best chance for a "3D" style racer is similar to earlier racers like Need for Speed. A VERY simplistic 3D surface engine with simple textures (road/ edge/ grass/ fence) and prerendered sprites for all the other cars/scenery and such, with some simple polygons for starting line/finish line and anything that prerendered sprites couldn't handle.

Spectators, bushes, other racers, cars in "The PITS" could be done with sprites to save rendering speed and memory. I'm not a programmer, but I have worked with the Quake engine and built a few levels myself (lousy ones, but still)

thanks for a great explanation! got it now :)
I havent done any level design at all!

Back