Map2x 0.0.6, A Simple Navigation System

mosra

Still Fresh
Map2X is a simple navigation system (or map viewer) for GP2X. Supports Google Maps and Czech server mapy.cz. You can choose different map types (e.g. basic or terain map) and overlays (e.g. land relief).

Touchscreen support for F200 (needs testing on FW > 4.0.0).

Please help with translations (more info on links or in readme).

Download:

GP2X version: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2670
Windows version: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2671

More info and tutorials: http://mosra.bloguje.cz/717070-introducing...em-for-gp2x.php

This is simply killer! I often needed an app like this, and now it's available for my GP2X... absolutely fantastic :) Can't wait to try it :)

Edit: I tried the normal map for the city of Toronto, and it displays as white background with a gray 'stop' sign. It says Copyright Google in the top right corner, perhaps they locked certain locations from downloading their maps. :(

hi

i get the same issue as alex above i.e. white background and grey 'stop' sign?

great app by the way!!!

edit

tried using your test conf on southern england and that seems to download the maps okay so seems i need to carefully find upper left and lower right and edit conf file correctly.

will report back

Hrmf, here's a little exerpt from Google Map's terms of use...

(may not) "use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of Google services"

Wouldn't want to have my Gmail account suspended or any other such annoyance, so I'm leaving it at that.

I usually just take a high res screen capture of the map I need and use the image viewer on the gp2x but this looks nice.

Same stop sign issue. Maybe we are missing something?

good job there, vladimire. although.. seeing those last comments.. wouldn't it be better to switch to openstreet project maps? no way they are so detailed as the ones from google/mapy.cz but you can use them without limitation. regards, jose

I'm so sorry, I was in Purgatory, now I can reply.

Tutorial is tricky, but if you manage it once, then it's easy. There are some important things:

If you see grey background and some stop signs instead of your map, it means that your map wasn't downloaded/packed. There are two most common problems:

First, you didn't copy the wget.exe file into Windows directory so utility couldn't use it for downloading.

Or, there's error in conf file, which can cause zero files downloaded. Parameter 'zoom_actual' MUST be (in case of Google maps) the highest number of 'zoom' parameters:

zoom=10
zoom=9
zoom=8

zoom_actual=10

If you have other problem with downloading/packing, post here (or PM me) the map.conf file, I'll try to help you.

BTW, I am now working on OpenStreetMap support and virtual keyboard with UTF-8 support (for saving favourite places and route highlighting).

It seems the map downloader doesn't work for google maps. In google maps the zoom parameter is "z=" but map downloader looks for "zoom=" thus cannot find the tiles.

Anyone else having the same problem?

mfk said:
It seems the map downloader doesn't work for google maps. In google maps the zoom parameter is "z=" but map downloader looks for "zoom=" thus cannot find the tiles.

Anyone else having the same problem?
Thanks for the notice, it looks like Google has changed their system (again). I will repair the map downloader utility and upload the new version as soon as possible. At this time Map2X can now read only packed maps or unpacked maps created before this change (with "zoom=" in tiles' filename).

EDIT: The problem is more complicated, zoom is also reversed, so zoom 16 means highest zoom (high deatils) and zoom 0 is lowest zoom. This affects not only map downloader utility but Map2X too. Therefore creating new Google maps is impossible at this time. I have wrecked up Map2X (many incomplete changes for upcoming version), so fix will be in the next version, not sooner. I'm sorry for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if the Map/Tile downloader for this application is now fixed and available to be downloaded? :huh:

Is it possible to download map packs for different countries to use in this application? I had a look at the tutorial and and if there is any way to avoid that process I would.

Charco said:
Is it possible to download map packs for different countries to use in this application? I had a look at the tutorial and and if there is any way to avoid that process I would.

Would make things a lot easier this way if someone had already got those map files. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back