Map Size

wildo2ne

Still Fresh
What is the maximum map size that can be used for an overworld map?

the biggest that I can get is 100x100, trying to get something in the range of 260x260

B) Wildo2ne

shame I would like to do all the dragon warrior games but the maps just get bigger from this point on

B) Wildo2ne

Just tell Pirotic what you need, he may add it to the "to do" list.
It might already be on the todo list...check this topic out Gigas Engine 0.7.5

P.S.

I like your idea. Dragon Warrior is my favorite rpg series! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya, most games (especially snes games) only have very small maps due to the limitations of the machines RAM - the reason they appear so big is that the game world is made up of a big grid of maps, and when you step off the top of one map, it'll put you at the bottom of a new map - which goes someway to hide how small the individual maps are, and thats something you can do in gigas.

the reason i stuck to 100x100 for the maximum, is anything bigger would require a noticeable loading time (100x100 maps can load instantly), and also if i allowed to big a map - people would probably get lazy and try to fit a whole game onto one map.

something to bear in mind is that every frame it does the AI/collision detection/animation for every tile and entity on that map, so if you had 1000 odd entitys on a map, even if a couple were on-screen it'd run far to slow to be playable.

i felt 100x100 was being generous, its friggin huge!

Back