MAME4ALL ROMs do not run...

I'm not convinced that redownloading what you already have is anything close to the correct solution: ideally you should be able to just convert your stuff easily.

But then I realize the perfect solution would have been to pick a naming scheme that didn't require things to be renamed every time there was an update in the first place.

So I've done some further investigation and it seems some small apologies may be in order. It looks like it isn't always just the file names and how they're used that change with new rom sets. In some cases, new information is discovered about the boards that requires a redump. For example, Bubble Bobble: monster behavior was controlled by a custom MCU which used to be emulated higher level. When the MCU was better understood, the high level emulation was removed, the direct emulation of the MCU was added (in accordance with MAME's perfection philosophy) and required a dump of the code which ran on the MCU which previously did not exist. That's why upgrading to a newer emulator would require a redump/download of the ROM. Bubble Bobble was the example given to me, but I'm sure there are other examples of boards that do in fact require fresh dumps when upgrading, possibly even downgrading.

So yeah, looks like at least in some cases, redumping/downloading the ROM for a different set is the only solution.

Basically both emulators run but it is running the ROMs I'm having an issue with. I understand that Mame4All needs to have a specific romset version to run correctly, however, I've seen many websites say that Maeme4all on Pandora needs romsets for versions 0.37b12 or 0.37b5 or 0.37b16. Which is definitely the correct answer? Further to this, how do you determine what romset version you already have? As looking directly inside the rom zip file does not help you determine this. I know from trying the ROMs I have that all I get is a black screen after a few seconds, so I knoow the version of the ROMs I have is wrong. I believe the best way forward is to rebuild the ROMs from the version I have to the version I need, is someone able to point me in the right direction on using the likes of ClrMamePro to perform this?

I also have the exact same problem with GnGeo, the ROMs are listed in the menu (though some are not even though they are on the SD card) but when run all I get is a black screen again. All ROMs for both emulators are in Zip file format and are using the valid shortnames. I also have the NeoGeo BIOS files required by GnGeo and as far as I can tell Mame4all does not need any. I see here that some people had to re-download their ROMs but where do you go to download them for a particular version? As most websites keep (or at least try to keep) their romsets fully up-to-date.

I've had a good go at these 2 for a while now but still no joy, so any further help would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that Mame4All needs to have a specific romset version to run correctly, however, I've seen many websites say that Maeme4all on Pandora needs romsets for versions 0.37b12 or 0.37b5 or 0.37b16. Which is definitely the correct answer?
0.37b5 is the one.

I believe the best way forward is to rebuild the ROMs from the version I have to the version I need, is someone able to point me in the right direction on using the likes of ClrMamePro to perform this?
Does this help any? It's actually for MAME 0.106, but my understanding is that using this guide to sort things out for 0.37b5 should work.

I'm afraid I can't help with the rest, but hopefully this is of some use to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks Prometheus, you are now my new best friend as that worked a treat! I then ended up playing mame roms for the next 3 hours solid ;) *hates sleep*

Many thanks to Sarlix also for putting together such a great easy to follow guide!

Now if I can just get the same help from someone on the GnGeo side I'll be a very happy man! :D

Arcade emulators and the many different ROM versions is not an easy topic.

Basically both emulators run but it is running the ROMs I'm having an issue with. I understand that Mame4All needs to have a specific romset version to run correctly, however, I've seen many websites say that Maeme4all on Pandora needs romsets for versions 0.37b12 or 0.37b5 or 0.37b16. Which is definitely the correct answer?
There are many correct answers, check the version history of MAME4ALL. It starts with 0.37b5 and adds new ROMs from newer MAME versions over time.

Further to this, how do you determine what romset version you already have? As looking directly inside the rom zip file does not help you determine this. I know from trying the ROMs I have that all I get is a black screen after a few seconds, so I knoow the version of the ROMs I have is wrong. I believe the best way forward is to rebuild the ROMs from the version I have to the version I need, is someone able to point me in the right direction on using the likes of ClrMamePro to perform this?
First of all, MAME identifies the ROM files by CRC, not by name, see here. Open the .zip file with 7-Zip to check the CRC. MAME DB contains all ROM information for the different MAME versions.

If you have an actual and a rollback MAME ROM set, you can create any older set with clrmamepro. It's easier than most people think, check this post. You can download old MAME versions here.

I also have the exact same problem with GnGeo, the ROMs are listed in the menu (though some are not even though they are on the SD card) but when run all I get is a black screen again. All ROMs for both emulators are in Zip file format and are using the valid shortnames. I also have the NeoGeo BIOS files required by GnGeo and as far as I can tell Mame4all does not need any. I see here that some people had to re-download their ROMs but where do you go to download them for a particular version? As most websites keep (or at least try to keep) their romsets fully up-to-date.

I've had a good go at these 2 for a while now but still no joy, so any further help would be greatly appreciated.
GnGeo is a bit different. First check this FAQ for some basic information. There are different ROMs for different emulators and their versions. Some ROMs can just be used from a specific MAME, FBA or Kawaks version, others are a bit more tricky. I did the exercise with the Caanoo version. I just started to build a Pandora GnGeo 0.8.3 set. Many ROMs work straight away from a newer MAME version, others need a bit more effort and some do not work at all, check this list.

Re-downloading ROMs from different sources is more a random approach. Downloading (or generating) different sets (MAME, FBA, Kawaks...) and comparing the CRCs is the more systematic approach.

Regarding the Neo Geo BIOS. Both emulators require it, some ROMs include the BIOS files (this might make you think, you don't need the BIOS). To make it even more complicated, there are different BIOS versions around, or better different .zip files. Even different MAME flavours require different BIOS files.

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question, what is a rom set? is that a bios or is that the format the game needs to be in? I'm trying to get Mortal Kombat II and NBA Jam TE running but both aren't working right now. MKII gets me to the screen about piracy but after i type ok the app quits, NBA JAM just takes me to a black screen not even to the piracy screen.

quick question, what is a rom set? is that a bios or is that the format the game needs to be in? I'm trying to get Mortal Kombat II and NBA Jam TE running but both aren't working right now. MKII gets me to the screen about piracy but after i type ok the app quits, NBA JAM just takes me to a black screen not even to the piracy screen.

a rom set is just that, a set of roms, each version of mame is built to emulate a certain set of roms, with the idea of the romsets being that you know exactly what runs, and how well.

PM me. ;)

I also get the same problem as usurp in Mame4All on games like Mortal Kombat II, it gets to the usual prompt where you have to type "OK" and after doing so, it quits out back to the minimenu. I just figured that this game just wasn't supported by the emu or that a problem had been introduced after having the rom rebuilt from a 0.139 romset back to the 0.37b5 romset.

Am I doing something wrong? Many of my other games are doing the same thing where they unexpectingly quite after the type "OK" prompt, though the majority are working fine. It just seems to be the ones I really want to play the most that exhibit this problem! :p It would be great to get them working though!

Does anyone know if there will be a fix for the sound issues coming soon at all? :D

I know what you mean, the only game I wanted to work on the neogeo was Neo Drift and that was like the only game i couldn't get to run lol

I know what you mean, the only game I wanted to work on the neogeo was Neo Drift and that was like the only game i couldn't get to run lol

One of my faves on Neo Geo too. I found that using a Neo Drift rom from a recent version of MAME worked just fine, but earlier ones such as the one for MAME4ALL did not work.

I got it finally working with the neogeo emulator but I had to download like 7 different versions till got one working

Back