Mame4all 2.1

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of my MAME port for the GP2X and the WIZ, with the following news:

- GP2X WIZ version improvements:
Added MMU Hack kernel module by Notaz. It gives more performance.
Added more CPU frequencies selectable in the frontend.
MENU button is fire button in rotated video mode.
Option to draw the screen rotated to fix the diagonal line but with impact in the performance.
- Some optimizations and bug-fixes in the timers.
- Less frame-skip is applied (changed the threshold to consider full speed in the auto-frameskip code, from 99% to 92%).
- Slaanesh added discrete sound system. So far only Canyon Bomber has been updated. It now has sound but it is slow.

Grab it HERE.

Thanks Franxis, always good to see a GP2X update. Are all these improvements only to the Wiz version or are they for the GP2X one as well? I know the screen rotation one will be specifically for Wiz.

Hirolaser posted on May 31 2009 at 05:37 PM said:
Thanks Franxis, always good to see a GP2X update. Are all these improvements only to the Wiz version or are they for the GP2X one as well? I know the screen rotation one will be specifically for Wiz.
Yes, many many thanks for the update. Might we see a fixed icon for the wiz, i.e. the mame.png is a bit to large when displayed on the wiz under wiz games (if you have a ini file).

Regards

André

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick note about MAME's DISCRETE SOUND.

It uses loads of CPU. On the GP2X, Canyon Bomber is a simple game that runs perfectly fine and full speed at around 100Mhz (without sound).

However, with DISCRETE SOUND, even overclocking to 250Mhz gives you a game that isn't full speed (albeit with sound).

According to Franxis, the Wiz at 800Mhz or so should be able to handle it.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's just the way the DISCRETE SOUND works. It simulates all the circuits need to make the sounds so you end up with a very accurate emulation of the sound - at a high cost.

I do intend to add more DISCRETE SOUND drivers but will only do so to games that:

1). Are missing sounds in the first place
2). Are still playable on the GP2X (and therefore Wiz).

;) THANK YOU FRANXIS, but when add the game MOMOKO 120%?
Is difficult add it?
Or hate this game? :eek:

I've been messing around with Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat recently, and is it me, or does the emulating the sound chips break the frame-skipping?

With sound emulation disabled and at 260mhz, the game get 55+fps and runs well, but turning sound on results in about 35-40 fps during gameplay and the game running at about 60% speed no matter what the frameskip settings are (fs0, fs1, auto-fs). Shouldn't turning on fs1 or auto-frameskip result in drawing 30 fps but skipping a frame resulting in 100% gameplay speed?

If this is a bug, perhaps this might help performance in other games too.

- Slaanesh added discrete sound system. So far only Canyon Bomber has been updated. It now has sound but it is slow.

Grab it HERE.
Great job, but I'm having a problem with the controls in any game that uses a dial (like Ikari Warriors). By default the dial is assigned to left and right on the dpad to turn in those directions (as well as move left and right), but I want to assign it to 'L' and 'R'. So I go into the controls and change the dial to 'L' and 'R' in both the game controls and general, but when I press left and right on the dpad, it still controls the dial. How can I set the controls to only register left and right as movement in these games and not control the dial? By default these games are pretty much unplayable with this control scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back