MAME

GaintMonk

Still Fresh
Hello, I am considering a Preordering a pandora and was wondering if MAME/Any other arcade emlators are being developed. If there it is being developed what would the most advanced machine it can emulate be? Thanks!

Budweiser said:
Mithrildor said:

Yes but what about MAME ,will we be able to play the current sdl mame or do we need a specific MAME port for the Pandora?

Did Franxis recieve a dev board? any word if he will be porting over a Mame version for the pandora ,or will we be able to use the current sdl Mame ?

I remember Franxis saying a couple of things on the topic. He didn't seem all that enthused about Pandora. He said that despite all the extra power, it wouldn't necessarily play more recent games because they relied on large amounts of RAM. It would still be a significant improvement of course - you just couldn't expect to play games from the last few years. (You might find related info in Duddyroar's GP2X feature in RetroGamer, the one he scanned & posted).

I also remember Craigix offering a Pandora to Slaanesh, I think he'll be porting Mame4all to Pandora.

[edit] Cached thread: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:Gd ... en&strip=1

[edit2] Thread which seems to confirm Slaanesh is on board: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:sq ... en&strip=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh please let there be a good mame on the Pandora!

I just want to play The Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc on this thing!! I'll be gutted if not and the 30gig of mame games I have will be useless..... :huh:

Just how far will mame be able to emulate on Pandora? Will we be able to play the Sega ST-V games? like Die Hard Arcade and Cotton 2? Any chance of stuff like Crusin World?

Cruisn World ran slow on my Athlon X2 so i'd so no for the pandora. Personally, i'd like to have outrun, Powerdrift, chasehq and if possible, VR Racing.

Gruso said:
I remember Franxis saying a couple of things on the topic. He didn't seem all that enthused about Pandora. He said that despite all the extra power, it wouldn't necessarily play more recent games because they relied on large amounts of RAM. It would still be a significant improvement of course - you just couldn't expect to play games from the last few years. (You might find related info in Duddyroar's GP2X feature in RetroGamer, the one he scanned & posted).

I also remember Craigix offering a Pandora to Slaanesh, I think he'll be porting Mame4all to Pandora.

[edit] Cached thread: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:Gd ... en&strip=1

[edit2] Thread which seems to confirm Slaanesh is on board: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:sq ... en&strip=1

on the file achives the mame program has 2x the downloads (over100,000 ) as any other emulator , not to see this updated to a newer source and touch screen implimented would just be a shame ..

Last edited by a moderator:
The current incarnation of GP2X mame, MAME4ALL, is a relatively recent piece of work. It added a lot of newer games that weren't on gp2xmame for a while, like OutRun.

If someone could port that over and use the extra power of the Pandora I think it would be a great result. It's not gonna run 3D arcade games, but it should hit on all the major classics up until the early 90s. If I recall it's based on MAME .37b5 for PC.

Maybe down the road someone will try to port over a newer version of MAME, but who knows what that will do to performance. A lot of work has gone into MAME4ALL to get maximum performance on ARM processors.

Man, I am *positive* that my first five minutes with the Pandora in my hands will be spent playing CRAZY CLIMBER!!!! HOW COULD YOU NOT!?!?!!?

If not me then someone else will definitely be ensuring sdlmame will run.

It's not particularly slow - disabling artwork/overlays gives a massive performance increase. Older stuff runs well on an 800MHz Duron, the slowest I've tested with.

At the best we can expect to play MAME games from 0.85 version of MAME like in XBOX.

Splatterhouse on pandora would make me a very happy man, is it even on gp2x yet?

someone please reassure me that i'll be able to play the simpsons and the turtles?! i'm gaggin here lol

silvercroc said:
someone please reassure me that i'll be able to play the simpsons and the turtles?! i'm gaggin here lol

MAME4ALL for GP2X supports these games, so they surely will be on the MAME port for Pandora, and probably with a nice speed boost (60fps maybe?)!

Back