Mame Rom Versions

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Howdy Doody folks,

I was trying to get mame on my GP32 to work, I have lots of roms for Mame 6 on my PC, but on trying to run them on my GP I keep getting told that the rom contains errors, files are missing etc :( . I'm guessing that I don't have the right ROM versions as I remember similar problem between MAME3 and MAME6 on the PC. I have tried ROMS from older versions of MAME too, but still have the same problem.

Anyone know what version ROMS I should be useing :blink: ?

TTFN,
Clare.

Which GP MAME are you trying? Bear in mind, that none of them really work. gMame (by Mirko Roller) can only run three ROMS, and I never managed to get any of them working. Craigix's MAME only runs 8080 based games, but I think it works a lot better, although I've not tried it.

Xcade is probably your best bet, but again, it doesn't run many games - but the ones it does run are pretty good...

I dont think mame is working properly on the GP32 yet

There was a Mame Emulator called Gmame that was released that Supported 6 (or 8) Games or something

Hia,

I have tried Xcade and GMame, and none of my roms appear to work.

Failing this, do you know of a nice Pacman clone for the GP. This is one game I can't actually find :(

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:10 PM said:
Hia,

Failing this, do you know of a nice Pacman clone for the GP. This is one game I can't actually find :(

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.
Xcade works just fine and Pacman works fine if the roms are properly converted to pdb-files.

Last edited by a moderator:
raven posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:32 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:10 PM said:
Hia,

Failing this, do you know of a nice Pacman clone for the GP. This is one game I can't actually find  :(

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.
Xcade works just fine and Pacman works fine if the roms are properly converted to pdb-files.

This is all fine (if it worked), I have tried converting my ROMS to PDB, and kept getting told that there's files missing from the roms, which was what I started this thread in the beginning LOL.

Clare.

Xcade can be a tricky beast and the fact that the standard for Mame rom sets appears to change now and again does not help. I do not think that there is currently a native gp32 alternative. However, you should not have a problem finding Pac-Man for one of the many other emulators that the gp32 supports. There is a good port for the NES which runs fine under Little John, for example.

If anyone else knows of a definitive way to convert MAME rom sets that always works, please let everyone know. I would like to play Lunar Rescue, asteroids and many of the other games that Xcade supports.

Regards,

RatchetMan

;)

yeah, XCade uses the "old school standard" rom naming conventions; the MAME guys fiddle with names over the years (which is *rediculous* and a huge pain in the ass for eveyrone involved :/) ..

You can use ClrMAME to rename from MAME names to XCade names; the ClrMAME dat file is in the XCade FAQ on my website (in the Palm OS XCade FAQ, since same rom converter is used.)

One of these days I will have to make a GP32 version that just loads the zip files :p

jeff

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 23 2004 at 01:48 PM said:
This is all fine (if it worked), I have tried converting my ROMS to PDB, and kept getting told that there's files missing from the roms, which was what I started this thread in the beginning LOL.

Clare.
Ah, that wasn't clear to me, thought you were only having trouble trying to run them, not converting them. Anyways, listen to skeezix, that's how I converted my roms (and of course he wrote the thing :)). The mame rom-zips contain all the files you need it's just that the names have been changed.

With the right tools it's really not that difficult :)

You're best off playing pacman on a NES emu etc -
there's no sound on XMame for one and secondly the original pacman ran in vertical screen mode so it won't really suit the GP anyway

ste_167 posted on Sep 23 2004 at 03:42 PM said:
You're best off playing pacman on a NES emu etc -
there's no sound on XMame for one and secondly the original pacman ran in vertical screen mode so it won't really suit the GP anyway
Pacman has sound in Xcade, the screen is a little too small though, you can see the playfield but miss the outer lines at the bottom.

cozmic posted on Sep 23 2004 at 02:27 PM said:
PACMAN for the MSX rules!!

BTW clare, are you rich or something, having such a view?!?

Meee, Rich, LMAO, I wish. I just have a top floor flat that overlooks the sea :), a view I will never get tired of B) If I was rich, I would spend more time playing games and drinking wine than I do working :blink: ...

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.

Back