MAME or...?

Which would you rather see next for the GP32?

• MAME

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other emulator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mame would be awesome in some form but I know there is no way to get a full port going on the gp32. It would be awesome if someone would start with some of the older drivers and port them over just one at a time to at least get games like frogger and pac-man going and then try some of the more complicated drivers. I am however looking forward to that cps-1 emulator if it can be done in a way that is somewhat playable. I think that will be one hell of a step forward for the gp32 if it is fast enough to be really playable. Currently I am pretty happy though with the most recent version of little john. The nes is my favorite system of all time and little john emulates it amazingly well with a ton of features. I am also looking forward to the future of this emulator because it will support other systems in the future. If the quality of the nes emulation is any indication of things to come this emulator will deffinatly be somthing to watch out for.

Agree with MAME - some of the greatest arcade games are tidlers (sub 1mb) but that's just my opinion.

One thing somes to mind, though, and that's MESS. There has been an attempt to create a Pocket PC port, but the author couldn't get it running at a decent speed.

<ramble>
I suppose an alternative app for the GP32 would be a ROM launcher. Just a front-end, not a shell, that aggragated games across different emus - sortable by name, type, system etc, like a MAME front-end I suppose.

The trick would be getting the emu to run with the selected file.

It sounds like lazyness, but with over 60 Speccy titles, 50+ C64 and a few dozen Atari, PCE and Coleco files, something like that would be useful.

'Fraid my programming knowledge ends with machine code and the Z80.

</ramble>

Agree with MAME - some of the greatest arcade games are tidlers (sub 1mb) but that's just my opinion.

I agree totally, it annoys me when people say there's no point because neo-geo etc. roms are too big. Most of the game I play on MAME were from the 70s/80s and are tiny!

Xcade is good for them but there are loads more great games it doesn't support.

Yeah, Asteroids is about 23k, unzipped.

Gyrus is 93k and Dig Dug a whopping 164k.

If the GP32 port could run zipped files, you could probably fit a couple of hundred on an SMC.

I know absolutely bugger all about MAME, I'm not retro enough. I just want genesis, I know its being done but when it does arrive I won't want any other emu.

With no offense to the makers of XCade, I'm aware of it, but I would like an Arcade Emulator closer to MAME... not all MAME games will be ran on a GP32 due to system limitations, but that doesn't mean that the only ones that will are Donkey Kong and Pac-Man. Hooray for the CPS-1 emu if it comes out soon!

does the alien vs predator use that cps1 chip set or whateer it is? I love that game and I wouldn't care if I could only have a couple of games on my card well AvsP is only 11meg ish?

Ohhh well I guess I have to wait and see, but I think I will be pleasently surprised. Just as I was to hear that REsi Evil is on its way, (hope that guy keeps iot up and trys to get the backgrounds a bit better)

happy retro gaming to you all

deano

If you guys didnt see my post b4 at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=2852

I'll say it again

craigx posted this on gp32emu.com board
Hiya,

After seeing Rylehs mame progress, and a serious lack of time i decided to concentrate on doom.

Ryleh has a brilliant 200 game version of MAME which he will release soon i hope.

I didn't get much further than adding the pacman and phoenix hardware to the 8080 thing plus it was running at weird speeds (too fast).

-Craig

www.gbax.com

So it looks like we r set soon

Hope ryleh dosent mind me telling you guys

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryleh seems to do great work and do it fast, but he gets distracted. So, nobody mention another emulator that would make a cool port until he finishes MAME, okay?

Back