Mame Gp2x 4.2

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
I released last evening a new version of the MAME port for the GP2X, with the following news:
- Compatibility improvements in the Cyclone M68k core. Games like SpinMaster and Aero Fighters series are working again. Thx to Notaz.
- Optimizations in the Cyclone M68k core. 23% of the code has been removed. Also some Picodrive specific hacks have been removed. Thx to Notaz.
- Added the correct VSync code from Picodrive. Do not use auto-frameskip with VSync!. Thx to Notaz.
- Added sound quality selector (11-44 KHz). Also some tweaks have been done in the sound library and it is more accurate.
- Optimizations in the FM sound hardware libraries.
- Minor changes in the DrZ80 and the CPS-1 interrupts handling.

Download it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

This emulator just keeps getting better! B)

We need a kow-tow "we're not worthy" smiley for the devs in this forum!
(Like this:
worship.gif
)

Is the new default setting another one than in Mame 4.0? Everything seems to be much slower now. I tried New Zealand Story (Default .gpe, DRZ80 doesn't work ) and now I only have 22FPS average instead of 40-60 like in the older MAME with standard settings.

1941 only has 16 instead of 19-20FPS and so on. And Aero Fighters still crashes at the loading with a error message. I haven't experimented with new game settings maybe the standard 22K sound is to much, I don't know.

Awesome thanks.

Please dont take this the wrong way but is there anything planned for some changes the menu system? I like the way it looks but the way you use it is so out of line than other GP2X Apps. I find it annoying having to press A to choose a game when B is the 'norm' also then having to set each option everytime, then quitting back to the main menu and out of the program can be tricky.

IMO a Notaz Picodrive style system would be awesome.

fusion_power said:
Is the new default setting another one than in Mame 4.0? Everything seems to be much slower now. I tried New Zealand Story (Default .gpe, DRZ80 doesn't work ) and now I only have 22FPS average instead of 40-60 like in the older MAME with standard settings.

1941 only has 16 instead of 19-20FPS and so on. And Aero Fighters still crashes at the loading with a error message. I haven't experimented with new game settings maybe the standard 22K sound is to much, I don't know.
In MAME 4.0, the sound quality was 15 KHz. In the new version it is 22 KHz. This is the reason the games will run slower... Try it with 15 KHz sound quality and tell me if everything is running as fast as v4.0 please. Probably i will change the default sound setting to 15 KHz again in the following version... because probably more people will report the same issue.

About New Zealand Story, Slaanesh made a fix in v4.1 to make the music to play ok at all times, it was a bug in the v4.0... This fix means to make more sound CPU slices per video frame, and probably it will run slower.

I don't understand the error message in Aero Fighters. Reset the GP2X an try again please.

Thank you for your report!.

DynaMight said:
Awesome thanks.

Please dont take this the wrong way but is there anything planned for some changes the menu system? I like the way it looks but the way you use it is so out of line than other GP2X Apps. I find it annoying having to press A to choose a game when B is the 'norm' also then having to set each option everytime, then quitting back to the main menu and out of the program can be tricky.

IMO a Notaz Picodrive style system would be awesome.
Yes, i plan to change the menu system a bit in the future. Anyway, personally i don't like the 'B' button usage in the GP2X frontend. Playing games i like to use the 'A' button, because it is the layout i have used in other consoles in the past...

Last edited by a moderator:
There is bug when playing Taito’s Superman, It still freezes during game play. It's
been this way the last couple of release’s of Mame. :blink:

:) Franxis, thamk you for this new version.
Can i made a lot of questions?

1) Is possibile resolve the problems with the game (GUARDIAN, or GET STAR (bootleg)) the colors are totally worngs?

2) The game RANBOW ISLAND have problems of glitches in the next version can you resolve?

3) My dream is to see ( LEGEND OF KAGE, HOLE LAND, SATURN, KICK AND RUN, RALLY BIKE, SUPER CONTRA, HAUNTED CASTLE (CASTELVANIA COIN OP) , TIME SOLDIER, MOMOKO 120%.

Excuse me, for my terrible English :) .

nixeon4x said:
There is bug when playing Taito’s Superman, It still freezes during game play. It's
been this way the last couple of release’s of Mame. :blink:
Thanks for the report... I will fix it asap...

Update: No easy to fix it, the error seems to be in the Cyclone core. I have sent a PM to Notaz, probaby he could fix it.

Regards.

I see we finally found out what notaz is up to for now..I swear our coders dont like rest. I had a dream I played simpsons arcade on gp2x...too much reading old posts on the forum.

DARKGATE said:
:) Franxis, thamk you for this new version.
Can i made a lot of questions?

1) Is possibile resolve the problems with the game (GUARDIAN, or GET STAR (bootleg)) the colors are totally worngs?

2) The game RANBOW ISLAND have problems of glitches in the next version can you resolve?

3) My dream is to see ( LEGEND OF KAGE, HOLE LAND, SATURN, KICK AND RUN, RALLY BIKE, SUPER CONTRA, HAUNTED CASTLE (CASTELVANIA COIN OP) , TIME SOLDIER, MOMOKO 120%.

Excuse me, for my terrible English :) .
All is feasible to be fixed, the problem is to get time and to want to spend time fixing them... :rolleyes:

Franxis said:
fusion_power said:

In MAME 4.0, the sound quality was 15 KHz. In the new version it is 22 KHz. This is the reason the games will run slower... Try it with 15 KHz sound quality and tell me if everything is running as fast as v4.0 please. Probably i will change the default sound setting to 15 KHz again in the following version... because probably more people will report the same issue.

About New Zealand Story, Slaanesh made a fix in v4.1 to make the music to play ok at all times, it was a bug in the v4.0... This fix means to make more sound CPU slices per video frame, and probably it will run slower.

I don't understand the error message in Aero Fighters. Reset the GP2X an try again please.

Thank you for your report!.

CHECK!
Yes, 15KHz feels much better (and doesn't sound that bad) I think, sound quality in "1941" has improved. In the past the game sound was horrible.
New Zealand Story is smoother to, even with scaled Fullscreen. (The unscaled game somehow has the wrong aspect ratio ^^ )

Aero Fighters Rom loading screen says (after "it1906.137" ):
"Unable to open ROM
Error reading ROMS
Unable to initialize machine emulation"

I should try to rebuild the Rom somehow, maybe

my newzeland story doesnt seem to have suffered any noticable slowdown on the new default settings??

Was i supposed to rebuild the roms to benefit from the improvements of the new version??

Also is there a reason mame is no longer working with the TVOut

Arrgh, i have just fixed another bug in the DrZ80 interrupts handling. I'm an amateur in ASM ARM :huh: , i touch two lines, and i break something... Shinobi and other games will be faster in the next version...

Regards.

foleyjo said:
Also is there a reason mame is no longer working with the TVOut ?
ouch, another bug, probably due to the new VSync code... What happened with TV-Out? No video output? The emu gets locked? :(

Franxis said:
ouch, another bug, probably due to the new VSync code... What happened with TV-Out? No video output? The emu gets locked? :(
The first screen comes on but its full of black lines and bouncing up and down then it all goes black and everything locks up.

foleyjo said:
Franxis said:
The first screen comes on but its full of black lines and bouncing up and down then it all goes black and everything locks up.

Please try with this executable and tell me how it runs (also tell me if you are using NTSC or PAL TV-Out):
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/mame_gp2x_fast_tvout.gpe

Regards.

tried that version with both Pal and NTSC and my TV screen goes blue which means no signal is comming through

Back